Author Topic: Hiking on the decline?  (Read 4257 times)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Hiking on the decline?
« Reply #15 on: 15:30:03, 06/09/18 »
 I should imagine that the powers that be consider a hike to be the distance from the members bar to the chamber.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:37:23, 24/10/18 »
In line with the statistic that 60%of the population are overweight. What concerns me that walking and cycling are seen as leasure and fitness activities not transport! Also a long walk is classified as over a mile!
Unfortunately, it is very possible to walk fast and long and still be overweight. It must be the big bones I inherited from my dad. 🙂

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:42:13, 24/10/18 »

A recent article in the welsh news, is that there is a distinct possibility that the Snowdonia National park will start charging organised groups intent on climbing Snowdon.

Such is the popularity of the mountain, that its almost that the National Park wants to deter organised parties.

I know that is not the case, but the thought of actually charging organised groups to use the paths up Snowdon, was never considered a few years ago.

For it to be even on the agenda of the SNP, must mean footfall on the mountain must be at a level that the National Park are struggling to cope with.

As an Englishman living in Scotland, the SNP are not my favourites. Now it seems that they are also interfering in Wales.  :)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:34:01, 24/10/18 »
According to the Oxford English Living dictionary hiking is "The activity of going for long walks, especially across country."

To me a mile is quite a long walk around town although not a hike. I've done much longer walks but I'd call anything less than about a mile a short walk. It probably takes me longer to walk a mile than most of you though so to me it's a longer walk as it takes longer.

I just thought hikes were long walks in the great outdoors (or very long walks in urban areas) and by long I'd have thought anything that took a couple of hours or more.

Where do you draw the line? Do veteran hikers have a definition of it themselves? I'd be interested to see what hikers consider a hike.
« Last Edit: 18:39:31, 24/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy