Author Topic: What gear to get for first starting up?  (Read 1069 times)

JJT98

What gear to get for first starting up?
« on: 09:57:05, 19/06/20 »
Hi, so I’m not new to fell walking but always feel like I’m not prepared enough with the correct gear. Could anyone point me in the right direction for a good option of things to have in your bag? Cheers

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: What gear to get for first starting up?
« Reply #1 on: 10:41:50, 19/06/20 »
Welcome from Portsmouth. What to have in your bag? A lot will depend on what you are actually planning to do, day trips only, staying out overnight and using B & B's, hotels ect, or staying out overnight and sleeping in a tent or bivi for example? Or planning for two options or planning for all?

Can you offer a bit more clarity please because on the Forum we have all types of hikers.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:16:17, 19/06/20 »
What do you feel you are missing?  If you are warm and dry and what you are carrying isn't too heavy and you have a bit of emergency food and some water you probably have what you need unless you are planning to be a long way from civilisation.  Outdoor shops are always persuading us, usually successfully in my case, that everything would be better with one more piece of kit, but it is probably more sensible to look at it the other way round and think about which bit of you isn't comfortable, or which situations you might catch you out and remedy that.   And you will find plenty of people on this forum with advice on how to do that.

GoneWest

« Reply #3 on: 11:17:55, 19/06/20 »
Here's a good site:

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/Advice-Info_B3-3.aspx

Obviously, as gunwharfman says, how much of this should apply to any given walk depends upon the possible worst-case circumstances.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:18:52, 19/06/20 »
Shoes or boots, and water Jacket and trousers.
Don't spend too much. Should get that for £100 it less.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:23:38, 19/06/20 »
On a day trip into the fells (most Saturdays), I carry

Waterproof jacket
Waterprooof trousers
Tiny Montane windproof jacket ( rolls up size of a criscket ball)
Microfleece
Spare socks
Map and compass
Sit mat
GPS and spare batteries
First aid kit
Spare laces
Headtorch
Swiss army knife
Suncream
Two water bottles (one has a filter for re-supplies)
Lunch
Camera and phone

In winter I add crampons and ice-axe, if it's wintry, and a spare warm hat (as I am  sweaty [censored]**r)

For B&B to B&B trips I add a kindle and phone charger and a spare walking t-shirt, boxers, lightweight trousers and shoes for evening wear.  I don't wild camp.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:41:36, 19/06/20 »
Hi, so I’m not new to fell walking but always feel like I’m not prepared enough with the correct gear. Could anyone point me in the right direction for a good option of things to have in your bag? Cheers

Firstly contact people who you may know who are in to backpacking/the outdoors, many of us often have a huge amount of gear laying around which they'd be happy to lend to someone starting out whilst they get their own gear sorted out.

There are loads of articles online about what you might put in a pack so I won't reinvent the wheel, but regardless of the season you should probably start with:

water bottle, small rucksack, basic compass, first aid kit, basic head torch, spare microfleece, spare batteries, map of the area you walk in most and waterproofs (it's the UK after all).  Sun screen in the summer is also a sensible idea.  Probably about £90 of stuff without the waterproofs.

That will cover you for 3 season day hiking no problem.  Overall though, get some decent shoes!  Nothing is more important, in my opinion. They don't have to be massive leather boots, but get something you're happy with, which feels comfortable and you can happily spend time in without blisters.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:43:24, 20/06/20 »

Welcome to the forum JJT98  :)

Keep it simple - for summer day walking - map, compass, whistle, fully charged phone, water, food, waterproof jacket, an extra layer, maybe a buff, not much else.

Winter is a different matter, of course - as above + survival bag, gloves, warm hat, waterproof trousers, warm extra layer, head torch with good batteries, ice axe/crampons (as conditions dictate).
« Last Edit: 20:50:23, 20/06/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:52:37, 20/06/20 »
Don't spend too much.

^This.

No need to spend a fortune on fancy gear.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy