Author Topic: Age is But a Number, or Maybe She should have gone to Specsavers  (Read 2500 times)

myxpyr

I was out in the hills today in the Ogwen Valley. Got talking to a lady about Tryfan. I mentioned that it was sixty years since my first ascent of that fine mountain. "Sixty years?" she said. "How old are you then?"

Told her I was 73 to which she respended "Never, you look about 65!"
Made my day ;D

harland

• Veteran Member
You should have been annoyed, nothing less than 60 should be good enough! :D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
It is always the opposite with me. Since I was a child, people have always thought I am older than I am. Then it was my height. Now it is the lack of hair and the colour of what is left.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
About 5 years ago, a friend (another OAP) and I were buying wine in a super market in Sutton Coldfield, he got through the checkout unchallenged by the young lady on the till. I was asked to provide identity of age and had to use my bus pass.  ;D

I like to think it was not as case of shearing the dog as well as the sheep

Also climbed Tryfan at an early age, 16 was my first time. At 15, with two other friends of the same age, we did the complete Snowden Horseshoe, walking from Capel Curig, our parents thought we were just camping, on a cycling holiday.

But my staggering gait and huffing and puffing might give me away now.  8)
« Last Edit: 10:40:46, 30/06/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Myxpyr, I know what you go through, happens to me as well!  ;)

myxpyr

Have to say that two years ago, whilst doing part of the TMB, people were commenting that I did not look 71(as I was then). One chap asked me my age and when I told him he shook my hand. I think some were also surprised that I was walking solo.  ;D Maybe they thought I should have a carer with me ;D

myxpyr

barewirewalker: When you said "staggering gait" I thought you were about to say you were able to maintain 4mph for ten hours a day ;D

pleb

• Veteran Member
EH? WHATS THAT YOU SAY?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
barewirewalker: When you said "staggering gait" I thought you were about to say you were able to maintain 4mph for ten hours a day ;D
Now those were the days  :P

Perhaps they were, after a full weekends climbing I was dropped of by some mates, returning from Snowdonia in Llangollen, where I made the mistake of popping into a pub for beer and sandwiches, got into conversation and returned to the A5 to hitch to Shrewsury at chucking out time.

A 30+mile hitch hike. Couldn't get a lift, I had to be back home next morning as I was due to go into hospital for a hernia repair. I remember walking through fields of barley, in the moonlight with a full pack. That was as I took a short cut across fields back to home. Just before dawn.

I don't think they needed much anaesthetic to knock me out for the op. But I am left still wondering how I made that distance in the time.

Reason I could not get a lift, I heard on the news next morning, a dangerous killer had escaped from prison was on the run, had been on the radio all the night before.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Ive been studying the 'Age Grading' of some events. This feature is coming into events like Ultra's and other forms of racing more and more.
For many years the vets category started for males at 40 years and 35 years for females, every 5 years after that you would go up into the next vets category.Now with age grading it can be broken down into an overall comparrison, instead of the vets categories being treated like a seperate race or races (Different vets age groups)I came across a website that compiles all Ultra distance events worldwide, and gives a complete breakdown of all categories including, an Age Grading comparison.For example in the following link to the results of the 2014 Spine Race along the Pennine Way, you will see that Pavel the winner is just 23 years of age, whilst I was 67 years at the time.I am down as finishing in 21st position out of the 30 finishers from 50 starters. However my Age Grading result puts me in4th place overall.Makes one feel a whole lot better O0 https://statistik.d-u-v.org/getresultevent.php?event=17860

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy