Author Topic: Recommendations for lightweight packable waterproof jacket  (Read 2204 times)

mercurius

I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight, packable, men's waterproof jacket for walking on Mt Athos (Greece) in mid-September that won't be too sweaty. I also want to be able to make use of it in the UK.

Any suggestions?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I use a Marmot Precip  O0
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

What other sort of use will you be putting it to in the UK, mercurius?

PS - welcome to the forum. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

mercurius

I use a Marmot Precip  O0

Many thanks for that recommendation. It looks like what I am after. Have you ever worn it in a hot climate?

[Later] Just been reading online reviews and it seems to get a real pasting for not being waterproof or breathable!
« Last Edit: 19:50:11, 09/08/18 by mercurius »

mercurius

What other sort of use will you be putting it to in the UK, mercurius?

PS - welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks for the welcome! I want it for general use / as a standby in the UK, eg when out on short walks or 'togging, or to keep dry in the rain when volunteering outdoors (meeting and greeting visitors at a visitor attraction). Does that help narrow it down?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
[Later] Just been reading online reviews and it seems to get a real pasting for not being waterproof or breathable!

I can certify mine is waterproof, been in some horrendous downpours. Given the price it's not as breathable as more expensive jackets but at the price it's fine for what it is, coping with an occasional shower.

Some folks will confuse dampness through sweat with it leaking and it's important if you plan to be working hard in it you're layered correctly.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I have a Montane Lite Speed that is very breathable but more water resistant than waterproof. Comes Nik-Waxed and can be retreated. Ideal for warm/windy conditions rather than heavy weather but packs down fairly well so good for summer use. Not as clammy as more waterproof jackets.
Solvitur Ambulando

mercurius

I have a Montane Lite Speed that is very breathable but more water resistant than waterproof. Comes Nik-Waxed and can be retreated. Ideal for warm/windy conditions rather than heavy weather but packs down fairly well so good for summer use. Not as clammy as more waterproof jackets.

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Ralph

I too have the Litespeed, what a great jacket. I wear it in winter over a fleece on really windy days and have never felt chilled.I also have the Rab equivalent, really nothing to choose between the two when it comes to keeping out the wind. Although the Rab does have 2 front pockets.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I too have the Litespeed, what a great jacket. I wear it in winter over a fleece on really windy days and have never felt chilled.I also have the Rab equivalent, really nothing to choose between the two when it comes to keeping out the wind. Although the Rab does have 2 front pockets.

I think you will find the Lite-speed does too, 2 vertical zip ups set high above the hips to avoid a rucksack waist strap.

Mercurius - Have a look at the Montane Dyno Stretch jacket too.
Solvitur Ambulando

Ralph

You are correct,  I had forgotten about those as I don't use them, find them uncomfortable at that position. Big fan of Montane products, jackets, trousers, shorts & shirts.Quality

Ralph

After my last post regarding the Litespeed jacket ,I checked when I got home and it has only one  front pocket which is a left side map pocket.  Around 5 years old so sorry for any confusion.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Depends on how much you want to spend, but recently i wore my new Highlander packable fully waterproof jacket  in some very intense rain whilst walking towards Pont Scethin.

I bought it on my Scottish isles trip, in Perth for £20.

As  i only paid  £20 for it i was not expecting much, but it kept me totally dry in some very intense rain yesterday, no sign of any condensation build up from something costing so little, and the hood adjustment is amongst the best ive ever experienced.
Ive currently got seven jackets or varying quality and waterproofness, and the Highlander Pack 2 Go waterproof is a great bit of kit.

Its as well made as a jacket costing a lot more, and even though it cost so little, its waterproofness is superb.

It may not be the most technical bit of kit, but the jacket has two large pockets, and comes with a pack away bag.

Ive spent three figure sums on waterproofs, and this £20 jacket represents incredible value.

We all think that because we have spent close on a three figure sum on a jacket, it must be better than something costing so little.

If brand names are important to you, spend a lot more, but if you do not care what name is on your jacket, and you want to save a lot of money, then the Highlander fully waterproof comes highly recommended.
« Last Edit: 19:27:36, 10/08/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Ralph

Only paid £40 for my Montane years ago and £50 for my Rab in July, so not too expensive.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
For £20 DA has bought a nylon shell. Waterproof yes, breathable definitely not  :)
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy