Author Topic: That's it! Gone back to tent...  (Read 7319 times)

watershed

Re: That's it! Gone back to tent...
« Reply #15 on: 22:26:33, 04/03/20 »
You wouldn't, by any chance be in Glasgow..?  :)

No Shetland.
Why?

lightweightmick

« Reply #16 on: 23:42:56, 04/03/20 »
Nordisk Lofoten ?
O0 - it came from Glasgow...
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 17:06:09, 08/03/20 »
Nice tent.

- not much more than a third of the weight of my Saunders Jetpacker, which was considered state of the art in it's day!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

watershed

« Reply #19 on: 19:32:59, 08/03/20 »
Be Nice to see how you get on with it. It looks great. You will hardly know its there at that weight. Just the ticket!

lightweightmick

« Reply #20 on: 23:43:31, 08/03/20 »
Be Nice to see how you get on with it. It looks great. You will hardly know its there at that weight. Just the ticket!
First impression good  O0 - quick to put up... looking to a carbon pole set next

lightweightmick

« Reply #21 on: 13:28:31, 13/03/20 »
First impression good  O0 - quick to put up... looking to a carbon pole set next
Aquisition of a carbon pole set then, so far:
The existing alu set appears to be designed (like the tent itself) to fit in a (big) pocket... which would mean extra work and extra weight for the carbon set.
With a small running sack, space is at a premium... decisions decisions - but on paper there appears to be potential to save a full 100gms...
I can't really see this being practical as the full std set is only 185 gms anyway.

As a general rule though a minimum of £1 per gram of 'saved weight' seems to be the going rate...
There's an additional complication in that the pole ends are unique - a balljoint that snaps into a socket on the tape and the balljoint is screwed into the end of the pole... it's a clever bit of innovation from Nordisk that could be a challenge to replicate.
Ongoing, so more to follow.
« Last Edit: 13:32:05, 13/03/20 by lightweightmick »

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:05:25, 13/03/20 »
There's an additional complication in that the pole ends are unique - a balljoint that snaps into a socket on the tape and the balljoint is screwed into the end of the pole... it's a clever bit of innovation from Nordisk that could be a challenge to replicate.
There are loads of companies that will 3D print things.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:39:09, 13/03/20 »
Surely they will fit inside your thermos? It's not going to be carrying anything between pitches so make use of it as a poke carrier.
Too little, too late, too bad......

lightweightmick

« Reply #24 on: 22:37:35, 13/03/20 »
It's not going to be carrying anything
But it is - either water or a hot drink mate, or cooking the next meal enroute even...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:35:08, 15/03/20 »
Aquisition of a carbon pole set then, so far:
The existing alu set appears to be designed (like the tent itself) to fit in a (big) pocket... which would mean extra work and extra weight for the carbon set.
With a small running sack, space is at a premium... decisions decisions - but on paper there appears to be potential to save a full 100gms...
I can't really see this being practical as the full std set is only 185 gms anyway.

As a general rule though a minimum of £1 per gram of 'saved weight' seems to be the going rate...

Hmm, those ball joints are certainly going to be problematic - sounds like more trouble than it is worth - diminishing returns, and you don't want to compromise the strength of what is already a very lightweight tent.

lightweightmick

« Reply #26 on: 00:07:52, 16/03/20 »

Hmm, those ball joints are certainly going to be problematic - sounds like more trouble than it is worth - diminishing returns, and you don't want to compromise the strength of what is already a very lightweight tent.
We may well yet be able to use the existing ends into the carbon set, or fit an adaptor piece on the three ends with the balljoints. Need to send pole set off for evalutaion...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 07:39:46, 16/03/20 »
We may well yet be able to use the existing ends into the carbon set, or fit an adaptor piece on the three ends with the balljoints. Need to send pole set off for evalutaion...

Hmm - all sounds very expensive. You won't be able to have a thread cut into the carbon poles, but possibly a threaded aluminium sleeve that fits over the end of them. Good luck with it.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 07:51:44, 16/03/20 »
Can use Araldite on carbon fibre composites normally.
Pictures are useful here.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

lightweightmick

« Reply #29 on: 13:08:03, 16/03/20 »
Can use Araldite on carbon fibre composites normally.
Pictures are useful here.
The ball joint clip system visible here (at 00:36):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXSAAXMvzCc
and my own pic here showing joint rtemoved:

https://ibb.co/kXDbFmh

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy