Author Topic: OS Online Mapping  (Read 3717 times)

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Re: OS Online Mapping
« Reply #30 on: 08:49:57, 10/11/19 »
Hello... When using the OS mapping on the mobile screen is there anyway of Suspending/or moving aside the black 'press button' assists? That appear when Using? They do kindof interfere with the screen map when using.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 09:22:08, 10/11/19 »
Hello... When using the OS mapping on the mobile screen is there anyway of Suspending/or moving aside the black 'press button' assists? That appear when Using? They do kindof interfere with the screen map when using.
I haven’t found that an issue.   On my phone there are 2 bottom left, 2 bottom right and 1 top right.  Touching the bottom left symbol centres the map to my current location so my position is well clear of any on screen buttons.  The map can also be dragged with a finger to clear it from any button.
Solvitur Ambulando

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 09:08:36, 11/11/19 »
Yes that's fine....another of the five 'button things' seems to be a kind-of linear compass.
I, probably like many walking folks, went for the Memory Maps on the PC many years ago. You appear to be stuck with the version downloaded to your PC at the time of asking whereas with the OS on screen subscription you get the updated annually maps? however the MM system allows for the position of the curser to give a read out of the precise ten digit map ref along with the 100kl alphas.
I am using both for my maps on screen stuff.:-)
….should have said that the OS maps are much clearer than the MM ones on screen.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 12:37:23, 11/11/19 »
I liked using MM to see all the routes I had already done as it made filling in the gaps with new routes easier. However, I found with MM there appeared to be an undeclared limit on the number of routes it could hold before it started to misbehave generating a grey screen of death whereby the area of the map you were using came up as a grey screen when you first opened the display.  The fix was to work at a different the zoom level.   I do not know if that is still an issue.  I also resented having to rebuy maps I had already downloaded to get a more current version.
For these reasons and the appalling user support, I abandoned MM about 7 years ago in favour of a Garmin Etrex plus Basecamp with ViewRanger on my phone as a fall back.

I now have both the OS app and VR on my phone plus using my Etrex as my preferred dedicated navigational tool.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 07:30:13, 20/11/19 »
I am like you, in that I think it would be great to have a lovely clear screen with only the map visible, or map overlaid with a route.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:35:26, 20/11/19 »
I am like you, in that I think it would be great to have a lovely clear screen with only the map visible, or map overlaid with a route.
  The latter is possible - map with route.  I still do not have an issue with the buttons.  They are at the edge of the screen, my position is centred in the middle of the screen so the buttons are over a km away on 25k mapping.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 16:46:41, 20/11/19 »
  The latter is possible - map with route.  I still do not have an issue with the buttons.  They are at the edge of the screen, my position is centred in the middle of the screen so the buttons are over a km away on 25k mapping.
Oh I know they do not hinder your actual location.For me though It is the same with a paper map. When I am looking at one, I like to open it out and have nothing cluttering the surface of it. Just a personal Feng Shui thing... 8)
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy