Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573435 times)

taxino8

Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2685 on: 20:24:44, 13/05/19 »
I’m hoping to get over to Patterdale on Saturday for a quick night out on the hills, probably end up on Place Fell if the weather looks to be ok.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2686 on: 21:32:21, 13/05/19 »
That looks rubbish.  Couldn't you have found somewhere a bit better?  ;)   :D   :P

Yours
Not Jealous At All
Mel
We were walking North. So the first I saw of the water fall, was when I looked over the edge and realised it was a 100 ft staight down. :o

Too late by then to retire, as my daughter was up ahead with her camera. So I casualty sat on the edge and popped a leg over.  If you notice my right arm, I am actually hanging on like  grim death, complete with smile. ;D
« Last Edit: 21:45:47, 13/05/19 by BuzyG »

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2687 on: 11:51:33, 14/05/19 »
Our last walk was on Saturday, so a weekend walk. Mrs BWW suggested somewhere connected having seen landrovers or 4x4, my hearing not being good only caught half she said, but my mind flashed back some years to a 4x4, tipped on it's side, skirts all up and privates in view. A disconsolate family enduring a wait, whilst an off-road recovery vehicle drove 150 miles to their assistance.
A quick google earth drive by showed me we could park in remote lanes, next by a public telephone by the picturesque church of Llandgadwaladr, with a churchyard occupied by some very ancient yew trees;
yew-graveyard1 by Barewirewalker, on Flickr
Hopefully put a TR together in due course, a rather interesting encounter with a farmer, talked to a gang upgrading a trackway because of 4x4 driving; asked them if they had dug any abandoned 4x4's, this got a laugh.
Altogether a great walk and day out.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2688 on: 09:39:34, 17/05/19 »
I'm going to Bodium today (lovely castle, location for the film The Witchfinder General) and will camp there the night. I'll hike and camp for two days following The Sussex Border Path to Crowborough. Once there I'll either return home the following day, or perhaps walk on for two more days?

My brother-in-law is going to do a bit of do-it-yourself for us, not my thing, so a good time to scarper!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2689 on: 13:33:35, 17/05/19 »
Cup Final and Eurovision on TV tomorrow - definitely two good reasons to head for the hills.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2690 on: 18:08:32, 17/05/19 »
Cup Final and Eurovision on TV tomorrow - definitely two good reasons to head for the hills.
Used to be a good reason to head for the car keys.  Empty roads, traffic free driving.  Not any more.  A walk sounds like a fine plan.  O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2691 on: 10:46:17, 19/05/19 »
Heading into the Tanat Valley again, last night I spotted a narrow area about a mile in length of Open Access around Craig Orllwyn. Google Earth provided a possible parking place to give a circular walk of 4.5 mile-ish, exploring the OA to add. Should give good views to Berwyn Ridge at about 3miles West.
Walk profile looks good, bit of woodland, ridge and escarpment, minimum road (quiet lane), maybe a few yards of off-piste to close a gap in the righteous way.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2692 on: 23:20:04, 19/05/19 »
A fine weekend.  Dartmoor Saturday around Two bridges area and upnto the East Dart waterfall.

Then a drive down Zennor, near at Ives, early this morning, to meet the walking group for a realy enjoyable walk on the SW coast path taking in Gunards head.  :)

Warbler

« Reply #2693 on: 23:36:51, 19/05/19 »
A fine weekend.  Dartmoor Saturday around Two bridges area and upnto the East Dart waterfall.

Then a drive down Zennor, near at Ives, early this morning, to meet the walking group for a realy enjoyable walk on the SW coast path taking in Gunards head.  :)

St Ives down to Sennen Cove is one of my favourite stretches of the SWCP. Coastal Cornwall at its most rugged.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2694 on: 20:04:11, 20/05/19 »
St Ives down to Sennen Cove is one of my favourite stretches of the SWCP. Coastal Cornwall at its most rugged.
On the right day the Asur blue sea over crisp white sand, waves crashing into the base of the granite cliffs, tin mines dotted across steep crags.  Realy does take some beating. O0

I stood on top of Gurnards Head. Hardy a breath of wind, what a 360 panorama view that is.

taxino8

« Reply #2695 on: 20:45:29, 20/05/19 »
Hopefully going to Borrowdale on Sunday for a night out on a hill, not quite sure which one yet but I’m spoilt for choice around there.
The only snag may be I’ve a Grandchild due tomorrow so fingers crossed that all goes well and I’ll be good to go by Sunday.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2696 on: 23:09:09, 20/05/19 »
A couple of quick snaps towards and from the very top of Gurnard's head. What a view that was. :)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2697 on: 00:21:03, 21/05/19 »
Splendid BuzyG  O0
That looks a fabulous place.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2698 on: 19:54:53, 22/05/19 »
Spur of the moment decision to give the Cwm Eigiau Horseshoe a visit.
Something really strange happened today, from leaving the shockingly pot holed upper Eigiau carpark, and a full anti clockwise traverse of the full horseshoe, i completed it back to the car, in 4hrs 17min.

It was quite windy, with a chill wind, throughout most of the walk, but i felt just superb.

Carpark to the cairn on Llewellyn's summit, 1hr 42min, and three hours exactly to the style below Pen Lithrig Y Wrach.

I much prefer an ascent of Pen Yr Helyg Ddu from Craig Yr Ysfa, rather than a decent from the Lithrig y Wrach side,, as the ground above Pen Yr Helyg is very steep and sheer, always frightens me.

Just enjoyed the entire walk, and just over 4hrs really surprised me.

I was not walking particularly quickly, but i can never remember doing it this quickly, everything just felt right for a quick traverse.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2699 on: 07:10:39, 23/05/19 »
Still no photos, a shame as you always seem to write about some lovely walks  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy