Author Topic: Dying a tent  (Read 1400 times)

MarkT

Dying a tent
« on: 14:53:02, 22/09/18 »
How do people dry their tent, especially after packing it up when it's pouring with rain?

I used to erect my tent in the garage and leave it for a few days but recently I had to hang it up in the garage due to lack of space and was wandering if it made any difference? Does the material dry differently or preserve better if dried tight or loose?

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Dying a tent
« Reply #1 on: 15:05:10, 22/09/18 »
In the good old day's when the modern tent was made of canvas, it was vital that you never packed it away slightly damp, as the inevitable condensation build up would destroy the fabric in no time at all.

I can remember many years ago, staying with a friend in West Wales.

A tent he had stored away in a cupboard in his garage, was full of mildew and the brass studs used to fasten the storm flaps had worked their way lose from the tent itself.

The tent was not old, so poor maintenance and storage meant a perfectly good tent was almost next to useless.

Most tents today are made from synthetic materials, so its still important to ensure their as dry as possible before you store them away, but the damp will not effect them as much as canvas.

A tent it an expensive purchase, so however inconvenient it may be to dry it before storage, it will ensure it will last many years.

Try not to force dry it in a hot room, like many walkers ive seen do with their leather boots.

The best solution really is to dry it off outside, when the weather will allow, but if your unlucky to be using it on one of those typical wet holidays',  make sure the fabric is free from dirt, and dry it off as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: 15:08:42, 22/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:37:46, 22/09/18 »
I've been drying my tents by hanging them up in the garage for years with no ill effects.

Can you still actually buy canvas tents, thought they went out along with hob nail boots and house drawn carriages?

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:51:33, 22/09/18 »
Luckily I've never had to pack away a wet or damp tent but I'd just rough pitch mine in the drying room at work  :D

If I didn't have that option though I'd hang it over the washing line or attach the guy lines to the rafters in my garage.  Sadly my garden isn't wide enough to pitch it otherwise I'd do that.

Does the material dry differently or preserve better if dried tight or loose?

Definitely dry it loose - open it up if possible to let any inner condensation evaporate, even if it means moving it around so the air can get to different bits.  Unless you like that fusty mold smell of course!

Contrary to what DA says, damp WILL affect modern tent material just as badly as a canvas tent so it's still just as important to get your tent properly dry before packing it away for storage regardless of the material it's made of.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:16:39, 22/09/18 »
After being bundled dripping wet into a bin bag in North Wales on Friday morning eight days ago as I write this, my little tent was then hung over my car's open tailgate in the evening on a campsite in Kidderminster, where it was nice and windy.
Following this it was tucked under one of the poles of my big tent where I left it to blow about till Saturday evening, by which time it was undoubtedly dry.
Just to be absolutely sure, though, after I had returned home to NW London I draped it over the washing line for all of Tuesday. Around lunchtime I turned it the other way up. It is now packed away until next spring. 

zuludog

« Reply #5 on: 19:47:45, 22/09/18 »
For years, with both canvas & nylon tents, I have used this procedure, depending on what kind of house or flat I've lived in -

Hang it up anyway you can - in the garage; over the banister & down the stairwell; off the corners of kitchen cupboards; over the shower rail; an improvised drying horse made from old chairs in the spare room; tying the guys to hooks on the picture rail in the spare room.
You get the idea; to hang it up, spread it out, and get as much air to it as possible, and expose as much of the fabric as possible. turn the tent inside out and/or move it around to change the exposed areas

When it looks as though it's dry I then bring it down, but try to leave it loosely rolled or spread out on some less frequented part of the house for a couple of days - the spare room or the corner of the landing; and turn it over a few times, just like they dry grass for hay
Don't forget to scrape the mud off the pegs and dry them, as well as things like separate guys & stuff bags
Remember that the guys will hold moisture for longer than the fabric

I've never had a problem with mould or rotting in any tent I've owned

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:12:09, 22/09/18 »

Hanging it up in a well ventilated garage will be just fine. No need to pitch.

..but never, ever pack away and store your tent wet.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:12:05, 23/09/18 »
I've been drying my tents by hanging them up in the garage for years with no ill effects.

Can you still actually buy canvas tents, thought they went out along with hob nail boots and house drawn carriages?

Our family bell tent is canvas.

It's a fantastic material to camp under especially in the summer where it keeps you much cooler but it's a pain to deal with when wet. The tent weighs 30kg dry. God knows what it weighs wet!

Not suitable for backpacking  ;D

MarkT

« Reply #8 on: 19:22:20, 23/09/18 »
Thanks for info and advice

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:55:59, 24/09/18 »
My tent, a one man Marmot, the outer tent always seems to be wet in the mornings, condensation or because of rain. In the morning I just give the outer a wipe over with a flannel to get rid of the main wetness, then once off I swing it around my head a few times, hoping a bit of centrifugal force might shed some more. Its still wet of course so I just roll it all up together, outer, inner and footprint, stuff it in a nylon bag and stroll on. When erected at the end of the day, it dries very quickly but not so easy when its raining of course. I am lucky though, I've never had to worry about wetness in my sleeping area. When I get home I just hang it all on our garden rotary line to properly dry and then store it in our garage. I use an old trunk, I fold everything loosly and then close the lid until my next trip.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy