Author Topic: What are your (walking) plans for 2019?  (Read 4658 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: What are your (walking) plans for 2019?
« Reply #15 on: 13:07:10, 01/01/19 »
How do you 'bag' a county, Mel?
Do you just visit, or is there some other criteria, such as bagging the highest point?

The only criteria is that I have to walk a minimum cumulative total of 10 miles in a County for it to be considered "bagged" and can indeed include getting to the top of a hill, but it can also include walking alongside a babbling brook, visiting pretty villages, forests, coast, moorland, nature reserves. Our Country is so varied and diverse and I intend to explore as much of it as I possibly can  :)

Doddy

« Reply #16 on: 15:56:07, 01/01/19 »
Alternatively (tongue in cheek) you can do what I have done and do all the GB National trails plus a sectional End to End (mostly using the national trails); that gives you all the counties in England, Wales and Scotland

Doddy

« Reply #17 on: 16:03:35, 01/01/19 »

In May I am planning to do the Maximilianweg in Germany. I also have in mind trips on the Southern Upland Way taking in the bothies and a week of circular day walks in the Lake District so
each night[/color]  
I can get back to my Citroen Berlingo micro camper .

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:55:33, 01/01/19 »

The only criteria is that I have to walk a minimum cumulative total of 10 miles in a County...

Thanks Mel; I was curious. Not for me though, I am too drawn to the wilder areas.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ronin83

« Reply #19 on: 18:39:55, 01/01/19 »
Going to Peru where we'll do the salkantay trek to machu pichu and some shorter walks in the jungle and by the lake.

Need to get out to Wales or lake District at some point.

Also need to continue the Ridgeway. I think we'll wait for nicer weather and do the rest in one go as we've learned our lesson with public transport.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:52:14, 01/01/19 »
A bit of walking in Croatia in May and on a Greek island in September as part of our holidays, otherwise more of the same in the Beacons, mid Wales and Snowdonia.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:30:26, 01/01/19 »
I have made a decision to abandon the annual foreign walking trip so I can see more of the UK.
I am waiting for a decent fall of snow for an early trip to the Lakes, then a week in the Lakes at the end of Seotember, another week in the Lakes in June, a week in Snowdonia in September and a week in the Peaks in October. In between I want to try the 2 Moors Way and I would like to see Northumberland.
At my age I feel the need to do what I can while most bits work okay.
It's all uphill from here.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:22:12, 01/01/19 »
My aim is simply to do walks, walks and more walks. I don't have a programme as such, as I prefer to choose what appeals to me at the time, but I've plotted a lot of routes in the south east of England on Viewranger and I'm adding to these.

GracieLiz

« Reply #23 on: 20:58:53, 01/01/19 »
Hi all,

I'm planning to walk the South West Coast Path this year from Minehead to Poole.
I can't do it in one hit so itlli be a series of day, week and longer walks.
I'm based in Exeter so can do quite a few sections easily over weekends.

Has anyone here done it? Any advice? Information? I grew up in South Somerset so know bits of the Devon and Dorset section pretty well. I'm really looking forward to it!

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:43:21, 01/01/19 »
Interesting to read other people’s plans.

My main aim will be to get to know Borrowdale, having just moved here, like the back of my hand. 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 23:54:27, 01/01/19 »
Hi all,

I'm planning to walk the South West Coast Path this year from Minehead to Poole.
I can't do it in one hit so itlli be a series of day, week and longer walks.
I'm based in Exeter so can do quite a few sections easily over weekends.

Has anyone here done it? Any advice? Information? I grew up in South Somerset so know bits of the Devon and Dorset section pretty well. I'm really looking forward to it!
If you are looking gps traces, I have done Minehead to Widemouth mostly as circular walks with a few bus supported linear routes, ditto Teignmouth to Abbotsbury.  I also have traces for day walks between Port Isaac and Holywell.
Solvitur Ambulando

dave_p

« Reply #26 on: 10:19:13, 03/01/19 »
Having walked the Peddars Way / NCP and the West Highland Way in 2018 I plan to step it up in 2019 and have a crack at the Pennine Way in June.  That's dependant on a niggling toe injury resolving itself in time.  I'm under doctor's orders to rest it completely for a couple of months which is pretty frustrating. 

As a warm up for the Pennine Way I'm planning to complete Offas Dyke by going from Knighton to Chepstow, having walked Knighton to Prestatyn in 2017.

Already making plans for a decent hike through the Sierras in summer 2020.

GracieLiz

« Reply #27 on: 10:42:18, 03/01/19 »
If you are looking gps traces, I have done Minehead to Widemouth mostly as circular walks with a few bus supported linear routes, ditto Teignmouth to Abbotsbury.  I also have traces for day walks between Port Isaac and Holywell.

Thanks for this, once I start walking I will be asking many more questions...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:45:19, 03/01/19 »
My walking plans for 2019 is to do some. No specific ideas yet as to where or when, I mostly just make my mind up on the spur of the moment.

Holidays wise, maybe back to Lapland but it's a big place so not sure which area. I'd also like to ski the purist haute route before I'm to decrepit - if I'm not already there. Trouble with that one is it requires a like minded partner or two.

Doddy

Re: What are your (walking) plans for 2019? SWCP,GracieLiz
« Reply #29 on: 14:58:08, 03/01/19 »

SWCP. Hi GraiceLiz. I did it in four sections. Apart from the odd BnB I wild camped it to avoid the job and cost of booking lots of BnBs and therefore having a schedule to keep. One day for spell I did walk with group of young women walking it, some of whom were doing the whole path in one go- they had booked a long way ahead for BnBs. [/color]  
Pete Mears who is right now doing a GB coastline trek did the SWCP a few months back. He also wild camped it. Like him occasionally I did move off the path  a mile or two to find woodland to camp in or get food and water at shops and Inns. I then returned to the path.[/color]  
Good for food stops especially in the tourist season. Drinking water availability can be an issue as there is so much livestock close by any stream -but I was camping. In some places the path is very close to precipitous cliffs; where possible I thought it made sense to move off a bit into the grassed areas -one stumble with a backpack and you could roll into the water from a great height and, if found, be in the USA or anywhere. It is a great walk.[/color]  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy