Author Topic: What are your (walking) plans for 2019?  (Read 4663 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
What are your (walking) plans for 2019?
« on: 21:00:02, 31/12/18 »
The New Year is just a few hours away so what walking activities/challenges do people have planned for 2019 or would like to do?

Personally, in 2018 I completed 7 National Trails so I hope to spend more day/weekend trips to places like the Lakes/Dales etc than I did in 2018, and hopefully there will be some meet ups.

Having said that I have the Great Glen Way and a few days on the Thames Path lined up at the end of January (mainly because they are all year round paths) but I can't book anything else until my work gives me my holiday dates back  >:( >:( >:(

I'm looking at a foreign summer holiday this year, have thoughts about walking the Haute Route, Tour du Matterhorn, the Alta Via 1 or even the Tour du Mont Blanc again, depending on availability. In the UK I'm thinking about either the Ridgeway, Peddars Way/Norfolk Coast Path or Offa's Dyke Path as new National Trails but again it comes down to accommodation etc.

Soooooo, what are YOUR plans/aims for walking in 2019?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: What are your (walking) plans for 2019?
« Reply #1 on: 22:25:27, 31/12/18 »

My 11 year old son received SMC Munros guide from his grandfather and has got the bug. So poor dad has to go all over the Highlands climbing all those mountains with him for years to come....

;D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:26:58, 31/12/18 »
Other than that, we might be moving from Orkney this year, to be nearer family in the SW Lake District....
« Last Edit: 09:13:53, 01/01/19 by richardh1905 »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:47:55, 31/12/18 »
My hope is to make an attempt on the Welsh 3000s with a couple of friends. However, Achilles Tendon and back injuries mean I haven’t managed any proper walking in the last 6 months. Therefore, I am not sure I will be fit enough this year and may need to wait until 2020.

nesty

« Reply #4 on: 01:18:44, 01/01/19 »
Other than that, we might be moving from Orkney this year, to be nearer family in the SW Lake District....

That will be like moving to the tropics won't it!  ;D . Hope the move goes ok if / when it does.

Looking to do the Lakes myself in 2019, never actually been, driven through it briefly once on work, (I don't count that), but never done the walking there.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:11:31, 01/01/19 »

That will be like moving to the tropics won't it!  ;D . Hope the move goes ok if / when it does.

Looking to do the Lakes myself in 2019, never actually been, driven through it briefly once on work, (I don't count that), but never done the walking there.

Thanks nesty.

You'll love the Lake District. But it is likely to be busy!
« Last Edit: 09:13:38, 01/01/19 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:13:03, 01/01/19 »
My hope is to make an attempt on the Welsh 3000s with a couple of friends. However, Achilles Tendon and back injuries mean I haven’t managed any proper walking in the last 6 months. Therefore, I am not sure I will be fit enough this year and may need to wait until 2020.

Best to wait until you are fully fit, Mike - it is a BIG walk. But what a day on the mountains - the Welsh 3's fit together really well as a walk, with minimal road or low level walking.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:13:00, 01/01/19 »
My 11 year old son received SMC Munros guide from his grandfather and has got the bug. So poor dad has to go all over the Highlands climbing all those mountains with him for years to come....

More specifically, we have our eyes on Ben Klibreck in the far north. Only a short drive from Thurso, and you can camp in the garden of the Crask Inn.
And he's taken a fancy to Braeriach in the Cairngorms for some reason. This would be a good one for a summer wild camp.

zuludog

« Reply #8 on: 09:16:22, 01/01/19 »
I will be 69 this year, and can tell that I'm slowing down; plus I had been ill for several months during 2018, which has left me quite weak
So the first priority is to regain some sort of fitness. In fact I've already started some day walks around local paths & lanes, and doing half forgotten Canadian Airforce Exercises

But my plans include -

Going with a friend to do the West Highland Way, in May
I did the northern part, from Victoria Bridge to FW years ago, so I might just settle for the southern part

Fill in my missing parts of the Pennine Way

I live in Burnley, and my daughter & family live in Gloucester
I'll visit her then walk back
I've fancied doing the Staffordshire Way for a while, so I'll incorporate that. Or if I'm not up to a long walk I'll do the Severn section, SW, and the northern part as separate trips.
I'll leave this till the end of summer, when the ground will have dried out more, and I should be fitter

I am a member of the Backpackers Club, and I hope to go on more of their meets than I have manages in the last couple of years

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #9 on: 10:17:06, 01/01/19 »
Hi everyone. Haven't posted in ages.

I've got my plane tickets booked and savings well underway for the Tour du Mont Blanc early Sep.

Also been thinking about doing the 2 Moors Way and/or some coastal walking.

I don't really like spending lots on B&Bs or hotels but I like using campsites so you still have some amenities. They seem to be much more plentiful around the coast.

That said I don't mind wildcamping either.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:52:31, 01/01/19 »

Best to wait until you are fully fit, Mike - it is a BIG walk. But what a day on the mountains - the Welsh 3's fit together really well as a walk, with minimal road or low level walking.

It is quite likely that I will postpone the attempt and use this year to build up my hill fitness, hopefully without aggravating an injury. I am not good at taking things slowly.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:18:13, 01/01/19 »
Coast to Coast in June with a friend. First time doing a LDW other than solo so slightly apprehensive ...  :-\
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:40:34, 01/01/19 »
Putative UK plans - add Bodmin Moor to my lexicon, more Dartmoor, Mid and North Devon rural loops, SWCP - expand coverage of N coast of Cornwall between Widemouth and Port Isaac and from Newquay westwards. Get to Lundy.
Overseas plans - 3 weeks on North Island NZ, 10 days in the Alps - location tbd.  Otherwise take it easy.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:10:19, 01/01/19 »
I'm doing my Mile A Day For A Year again.  Plus, getting out little and often seems to have done my Achilles tendon the world of good rather than doing a weekly longer walk.

Aaaaaanddddd.....my Counties to be bagged in 2019 arrrrrrrrre........... Cheshire and Durham.  Fairly sure I've almost bagged Cheshire already (a previous forum meet doing Shutlingsloe) but to be on the safe side it got popped back in my Jar Of Counties.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:44:09, 01/01/19 »

How do you 'bag' a county, Mel?
Do you just visit, or is there some other criteria, such as bagging the highest point?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy