Author Topic: Personal motivation  (Read 1922 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Personal motivation
« Reply #15 on: 09:30:22, 16/11/19 »
Oddly, reading this thread yesterday encouraged me to find the car keys and go and do a different (small) hill 3 miles down the road, with a different round, and increased the motivation no end.

strawy

« Reply #16 on: 11:57:29, 16/11/19 »
My motivation is always weather related,i dont mind cold or getting caught in showers,but if its forecast heavy rain for most of the day then i stay home.
I usually have a few routes planned so i check the weather in their locations and if it looks ok i say to myself "go or you,ll regret it" and away i go.
Ive done the "soaking wet walks" before,no enjoyment in them for me.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:46:37, 16/11/19 »
I was motivated this morning! We have friends staying so I was out of the house just after daylight (they were all still sleeping) and returned four hours later, so avoiding the 'getting up period,' the breakfast period' and the 'taking over the bathroom/shower period' when everyone has a habit of getting under each others feet. By the time I returned home everyone was up and organised.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:48:16, 18/11/19 »
Good for you! All you need to do now is keep the motivation going, even when there’s nothing at home to escape from ;)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 08:34:53, 19/11/19 »
Still no real issue with motivation here.  I guess as I have only been back walking for four years, it is still a fresh sport for me.  I also started climbing again about 18 months ago, so that is helping too, as it gives me another reason to get out and about on the moors and coast. 

I have also been setting target events to aim for.

The first was Ben Nevis back in early 2015, that got me back into the swing.  I then hoped to do the Scottish 4000s in 2016, but I pulled a muscle training, so had to pull out. That took a full 18 months before I could train hard again.

2018 it was Snowdon and Scar Fell Pike with my son, we had hoped to do the Ben that winter too, but there was no window, before he set off for NZ.

2019 And finally getting hill fit I took on the Dartmoor high ground marathon and also hope to make up for missing out on a winter climb of the Ben by climbing Mount Ruapehu with my son in a few weeks time. Plenty of snow on that one.

2020 well I need some targets.  Thinking of the Scottish 4000s again but that one takes a chunk of leave out of my year. So maybe the Dartmoor high ground 50 miler.  One thing is for sure, as I said to our walk leader after splitting from the group and jogging up an extra tor at the end of our last group walk.  As long as I can I will.
« Last Edit: 08:45:03, 19/11/19 by BuzyG »

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:23:13, 19/11/19 »
My motivation comes from the yearning to get out into open spaces after working & earning. I am self employed with flexible work patterns & just the thought of planning another walk to do when the sun shines & work is quiet still gives me a buzz. I have more walks planned on OS maps than I will ever do but even the planning is great fun . I am lucky in that the Welsh border is an hour away, & the Brecon Beacons & Black Mountains are 1&1/2 hours away.

Life balance between work/family/leisure is what motivates me too, knowing that after a long walk, the days to follow I can enjoy family life with more energy again, & not less.
« Last Edit: 09:26:49, 19/11/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Lee R

« Reply #21 on: 20:38:56, 20/11/19 »
Motivation isn't an issue.

Having the spare time in reasonable weather conditions are the main 'issue' ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy