Author Topic: More Weather!  (Read 1382 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: More Weather!
« Reply #15 on: 21:57:45, 11/02/20 »
55mph - nothing more than a stiff breeze.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 00:19:15, 12/02/20 »
What's all the fuss about a bit of wind and rain.  Just pop your waterproofs on and get out there.  Alternatively take up winter surfing ,for some proper in your face weather.   O0

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:07:26, 12/02/20 »
Well I completed my little walk today, the wind was keen but I am pleased to say that I was toasty warm all the time, wearing longjohns and walking trousers, long-sleeved baselayer top, Paramo Trail shirt and Lowe Alpine Aleutian fleece 'headover', plus a fleece hat. No wind got through this clothing.
While I stopped for my sandwich I added my old Snugpak Sleeka insulated jacket but I had chosen a log to sit on in the sun and out of the wind, and even though I was stationary I hadn't cooled down by the time I got up to move on after 30 minutes.

P.S. Lots of crocuses, snowdrops and little daffs out in peoples' gardens - spring is on the way!
« Last Edit: 18:11:19, 12/02/20 by fernman »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 00:51:27, 14/02/20 »
Our group walk has been cancelled again for Sunday.  Mind you I think it would have been more of a wild swim, as it was accross one of the wettest bogs on Dartmoor.

I will be out enjoying the weather and moors on my own agin I think.  :)

staggerindragon

« Reply #19 on: 05:38:18, 14/02/20 »
Ciara was a bit more than wind and rain up north.  If you stopped in for tea at Ravenseat on your C2C, check out Amanda  Owen's twitter feed, and scroll down to check out what Whitsundale Beck looked like.  The Wharfe at Kettlewell was more like a lake.  The Dales Way would have been impassable along the river, and the becks and springs on the east, higher path were flooding too.

Let's hope for a lot less excitement from Denis.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:05:07, 14/02/20 »
Ciara was a bit more than wind and rain up north.  If you stopped in for tea at Ravenseat on your C2C, check out Amanda  Owen's twitter feed, and scroll down to check out what Whitsundale Beck looked like.  The Wharfe at Kettlewell was more like a lake.  The Dales Way would have been impassable along the river, and the becks and springs on the east, higher path were flooding too.

Let's hope for a lot less excitement from Denis.
Ciara managed to destroy the water supply for a fair part of the Upper Eden valley. I saw pictures of Untied Utilities trying to fix it in a blizzard on Shap summit on the A6.  I imagine Rob Goes Walking And the other good folk of Appleby and Kirkby Stephen had an interesting time without water for how ever many days it was.
Solvitur Ambulando

Little Foot

« Reply #21 on: 08:21:30, 14/02/20 »
I'm another one the weather is annoying. I wanted to continue my YWW on Saturday but not going to risk taking my lad out in Dennis. Hopefully I'll be able to go towards the end of next week, or even this Tuesday as it is half term. I think the real battle though, will be trying to convince my lad it will be better for him to go for a long walk, than be on his Xbox.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:50:11, 14/02/20 »
We tried to use a weather window today to slip in a pre Dennis walk.  It nearly worked - the window shut 3 miles short of the pub.  That's the first time I have had to resort to over-trousers in months and months!  Curse those meteorologists and their 10% chance of rain up to 1300.  Still lunch was good.  I had a pint of Hunter's Crispy Pig, a nice beer with a nose of fresh apples.  Not had it before but I went back for seconds.  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:08:36, 14/02/20 »
If the weather is getting you down, come an experience living on the West coast of Gwynedd here in North Wales.
Anyone who is familiar with the scotch pine trees adjacent to the old ruined Drovers inn, just to the left of Moelfre, here in the Rhinog range.

Well i was there yesterday afternoon, just before 2pm and i was actually lifted off my feet with the wind, it was just about impossible to stand, and even battling against the wind was a challenge.

Apart from Wednesday, which was calm and quite nice, its been total mayhem since last weekends Storm Ciera.

Ive wanted to go for my weekly jaunt in the hills, but the severity of the winds have made it just about impossible.

I only wish i could have discovered the wind speed, it was an easy 50-60mph maybe more.

More fun and games this weekend, when my friend Dennis is paying a visit.

mountaingal

« Reply #24 on: 17:19:44, 14/02/20 »
  2 of local walks were cancelled last weekend, then 2 more cancelled this weekend.  >:(   My friend  and I managed to walk last Wednesday, then again, this Wednesday. They were the best days of the week. Will it be good again next Wednesday?
Apart from the weather, paths are flooded / muddy/ watery. Very hard to plan 'passable route' these days. Having said that, I'm grateful,  my house is not flooded, got water, heating and lights.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 17:38:06, 14/02/20 »
  2 of local walks were cancelled last weekend, then 2 more cancelled this weekend.  >:(   My friend  and I managed to walk last Wednesday, then again, this Wednesday. They were the best days of the week. Will it be good again next Wednesday?
Apart from the weather, paths are flooded / muddy/ watery. Very hard to plan 'passable route' these days. Having said that, I'm grateful,  my house is not flooded, got water, heating and lights.
   I have stuck to the back lanes from different villages  near us.  Many of the lanes  are so quiet and narrow that grass grows up the middle.  By and large you can walk without having to pay to much attention where you are putting your feet though some are still temporary rivers or being used to gradually move mud from one field to another.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy