Author Topic: Which Digital Mapping Software?  (Read 2070 times)

Emma

Which Digital Mapping Software?
« on: 17:27:44, 18/11/06 »
I thought I'd already asked this here but i can't find it anywhere now :-s

Which digital Mapping sofware would you recommend? I doubt i will ever invest in a GPS unit, but I LOVE my 2004 MemoryMap. I might treat myself to a more recent version or a different brand altogether and wanted to know what software you would recommend.
Thanks.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Re: Which Digital Mapping Software?
« Reply #1 on: 16:38:35, 03/12/06 »
For your purposes it's probably best to stick with Memory Map. You don't need to buy the latest version, you can upgrade to V5 for free but you should PM me to find out how to enable it to read your MM2004 maps (it won't read them as supplied, thanks to the cursed OS).

In fact this is one of the best reasons for sticking with MM, and may well eventually override all the technical aspects of the software. All mapping companies are forbidden from allowing major new versions of their software to read maps issued with previous versions, but MM is the only one where this is easily circumvented. For all other products, you would either have to run several versions concurrently to cover all the map versions you have bought, or alternatively fork out and buy new versions of the maps even if you don't want them.

Other related facts about the mapping products:-

MM is the only one whose OS-imposed restrictions can be easily neutralized.

MM and Tracklogs software installations are not (technically speaking) limited to one particular PC or hardware configuration, you can install them on any PC anytime.

Anquet and Quo installations are limited to one PC by a registration scheme and have to be activated by a code specific to that PC (in the case of Anquet this can in fact be circumvented). This activation process also means that any change to the hardware of your PC might mean grovelling to Anquet or Quo for a new activation code.

MALLYUK2001

« Reply #2 on: 00:16:58, 04/02/07 »
hi iv just started using Anquet maps and the more i use them the more im likeing them i only have 3 (281 282 284 all local) at the moment but will get more as i need them
all the best Mally

Blue-Fingers

« Reply #3 on: 18:59:01, 07/02/07 »

Hello all , 1st post ...here goes
I use Memory Map and find it pretty good - apart from the battery life on my PDA is not up to scratch, any ideas

Also after some Maps for the French Alps would be so coool  :P

titaniumdude

« Reply #4 on: 14:33:24, 25/02/07 »
I've recently bought a copy of garmins trip and waypoint manager and I am pretty chuffed with it.  It is incredibly basic and simply does exactly what it says,  allowing you to plan routes/plot waypoints on the pc and then transfer them to the gps (and vice versa).  The interface is a very basic world map of little use other than to demonstrate the general location of the waypoint.  The programme mainly negates the need to enter routes manually into the gps.  A process which I soon tired of.  Only 20 quid or so and very easy to use.

Did see  a demo of the anquet stuff in a shop the other day and was very impressed with it (quite a flashy utility).  Might upgrade when I'm rich.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy