Author Topic: TR - 2nd-3rd Jan Ravenglass to Birker Fell and back  (Read 1322 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member

For the last couple of years we seem to have had a few nice days just after the new year and I've taken the opportunity to have a night out on the fells. This year I didn't really have any fixed route in mind apart from starting from Ravenglass and wanting to try the route to Devoke Water via the neolithic settlement of Barnscar.

Sunny and cold as I arrive at Ravenglass. Even though I caught the 6am train it was gone 10 when I left the village on the path past the Roman ruins and join the Cumbria Costal path..

Looking into the sun and Black Combe.

Passing Newtown Knott the Stainton group of hills appear across the valley..

The Esk nearing the end of it's journey to the sea.

The path passes below Muncaster castle and the views start to open  to the high fells. I have to brave a few hundred yards of the busy A595 although there is a narrow grass verge apart from Muncaster bridge where it's best to wait for a gap in the traffic and run !

Looking back to Muncaster castle from near Ellerbeck.

After passing the house at Ellerbeck, the path, ( such as it is ) climbs through this lovely ancient woodland..

I found out why this is not a well travelled routs as there are several fields to negotiate which are comprised of high tussocks with leg swallowing holes which even when semi frozen were really hard to cross..
 The views of Great Gable on the left then Scafell and then Bowfell are great though.

A lonely tree surrounded by ancient stones near Barnscar. 

Even to the untrained eye it's obvious that something has been going on this lovely wide open moor.

Looking to the Irish sea from Barnscar.

Eventually I reach Devoke Water.

Which was beautifully calm..

Looking past the boathouse to the giants around the head of Eskdale. Scafell on the left then (seemingly lower ) Scafell Pike then Ill Crag, Esk Pike and Bowfell.

From Devoke Water I headed for the farm and holiday cottages at Woodend. Caw is prominent in the distance.

Lovely light over the Scafell group.

After walking along the Birker Fell road for a while I thought I would follow the wall up on to Birker Fell rather than cut across country on the faint path. I have descended by this wall in the past and wanted to see if the path I remembered by the wall existed. It did and I thought that I preferred it to the boggy wander across the moor usually described in the guide books..

Looking over the ancient and distinctive field system to the Dunnerdale fells with Pikes and Caw on the left, Stickle Pike and Tarn Crags on the right and the Fox Haw / Raven's crag ridge in the middle..

Winter sunshine on the fells to the south west..

I did think I might make it to Harter Fell but time was against me so I looked for a place to camp between White How and Green Crag..

Which was not a bad spot. I think this was pretty near where I camped with April and Beefy in 2015
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=29750.0

Looking over to Green Crag.

A lovely end to the day. Although it's not yet 4 o'clock.

Dow Crag with Buck Pike.

Unfortunately Thursday was a very dull day and the sun never showed itself.

With the dull weather ( and I was feeling a little lazy ) I decided to return to Ravenglass by way of Eskdale. This is Slight Side and Scafell from the path under Green Crag..

Looking back to Crook Crag and then Green Crag..

Passing above Birker Tarn.

I diverted off the path to the valley to have a look at Birker Force.

The old peat hut on the path down.

The old peat road is a nice easy way to descend ( and ascend ) .

Looking up to Birker Force whilst walking down by the Esk.

The only uphill section on my way back is the climb up Chapel Hill on the Esk Trail. The high fells are lost in the murk
 Friendly Robin on the path.

Passing by Muncaster Tarn, again as flat as a mill pond. One of the main features of the two days was the almost complete absence of wind.

Walking in the footsteps of the Romans down Fell Lane

Looks like my navigation was spot on.
My route was - Route. 2nd. Ravenglass - Cumbria Costal way - Hirst Lodge - Ellerbeck - Barnscar - Devoke Water - Woodend - Winds Gate - Birker Fell. (about 11 miles  2000ft of ascent )

3rd. Birker Fell - Birker Tarn - Birker Force - Doctor Bridge - Dalegarth - Forge House - Esk Trail - Muncaster Tarn - Fell Lane - Ravenglass ( about 11 miles 1100ft ascent)

« Last Edit: 22:55:52, 05/01/19 by karl h »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - 2nd-3rd Jan Ravenglass to Birker Fell and back
« Reply #1 on: 23:05:36, 05/01/19 »
Great pics and report Karl.
The 'light over the Scafell group' is lovely  O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:39:00, 06/01/19 »
Lovely photos karl - just been studying your route on the map. Eskdale is beautiful, and you were really lucky with the weather.

I was in this area myself in October - stayed at Birkerthwaite Farm and had a walk up Green Crag and beyond - we didn't get up Harter fell either!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:52:35, 06/01/19 »
Looks like my navigation was spot on.

There is a first time for everything  :D

Great pics Karl  O0 We almost went wild camping this weekend but we were too scared of the cold  ;)
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:17:15, 06/01/19 »
Terrific photos, especially on the first day and a valiant effort on the second when the sky was dull as dishwater. It's a very fine little walked area, I remember those tussocks well enough though. Your pitch between White How and Green Crag must be very close to mine near Wormshell How in October 2010.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:10:39, 06/01/19 »
Excellent pics karl O0

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:56:57, 06/01/19 »
Splendid TR Karl, lovely photos too.
I do like the Ravenglass area as it seems so quiet compared to some of the 'hot-spots' where the hordes head. I'm now going to swat up on your route with my map  O0
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:54:56, 07/01/19 »
Excellent photos Karl O0 O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:56:28, 07/01/19 »
Thanks everyone for your kind comments  O0