Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276243 times)

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1155 on: 07:29:43, 13/05/20 »
To the seaside today! My favourite walk Otter estuary, cliffs, Peak Hill, Mutters Moor, Passaford, and flat back along the R Otter to finish, hopefully picking up fish and chips from Darts Farm on the drive home.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

watershed

« Reply #1156 on: 07:38:30, 13/05/20 »
Now that sounds like a splendid walk, all finished of with Fish and chips, hard to beat!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1157 on: 08:04:39, 13/05/20 »
I hope everyone has a fantastic time today out walking  O0

I am going into work, as I have since lockdown. I will have to wait for the weekend but at least I will be able to venture a little further away from home.
Hate will never win

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1158 on: 08:47:29, 13/05/20 »
Off for a 20 minute drive to one of our favourite bluebell woods, in the hope they are still out! The walk around there is probably under 2 miles so may even have a 2nd walk around the village this afternoon ( not sure I can cope with that much excitement!)  :)

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1159 on: 15:12:56, 13/05/20 »
I am going into work, as I have since lockdown. I will have to wait for the weekend but at least I will be able to venture a little further away from home.
  O0
Likewise here.  Happy walking at the weekend.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1160 on: 18:22:17, 13/05/20 »
To the seaside today! My favourite walk Otter estuary, cliffs, Peak Hill, Mutters Moor, Passaford, and flat back along the R Otter to finish, hopefully picking up fish and chips from Darts Farm on the drive home.

Norw that sounds good, Jac. Stay safe  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1161 on: 18:25:24, 13/05/20 »
We stayed fairly local today, maybe drove about 5 miles to a secluded spot and walked around Otter Tarn and Bigland Tarn, returning through High Stribers Wood (lovely bluebells). Very quiet - Only met one other walker, and we avoided the three anglers around Otter Tarn. High point was a pair of geese guarding four lovely goslings - photo incoming.

Edit - a repeat of THIS WALK

Edit 2 - photo of Barnacle Goose family, including 4 goslings, in the 'What about other animals' photography thread.
« Last Edit: 08:39:36, 14/05/20 by richardh1905 »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1162 on: 10:41:30, 15/05/20 »
I thought long and hard about leaving my area.  I decided against the Lakes due to the huge amount of stay away pleas from MRT, LDNPA, FOL etc.  However, I yearned a day in the open, in hills, and in solitude.  So, headed for Quernmore on the west side of Bowland, and parked at Rigg Lane.  Car park barriers had not been taken down yesterday, but there is a very wide verge where I left the car.  Walked for just over 17 miles up on to Clougha Fell, Grit Pike, Ward Stones and then dropping down to do a circle of Tarnbrook  Fell, before picking up my outwood route for the return leg.

I picked this route for quietness, though I had never walked the area, everything I read said it was a quiet area.  In the first 15 miles I saw 4 people, a few more in the last couple of miles, mainly two families. Social distancing was very very easy to achieve.

I also noted that much of the walk is on well maintained moor maintenance tracks so the chances of a slip were minimised.  I drove straight there, touched one gate, with a gloved hand.  The two stiles I used were so easy even I didn't have to put hands on wood.

Being out in the hills was magic.  Views of the Lakes, the Yorkshire peaks and the Howgills.  Came back a much happier person.  I think the trip (50 miles) was justifiable based on Central Gov advice, my own research, my efforts to reduce contact and the lack of risk on the route.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1163 on: 20:34:24, 15/05/20 »
I drove 125 miles today to meet up with beefy and Squeaky in a green space near where he lives. We had a wonderful day and I was surprised how lovely the walk was (who needs the Lake District?) a varied walk with canals, moorland and woodland. 125 miles back home  again. I'm tired now, I'm not used to driving that far these days but I'm going to do it again on Sunday. I feel no guilt because I really couldn't have gone much longer without seeing them.
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1164 on: 20:36:56, 15/05/20 »
So pleased you got to see them and you had a good day.
Shame the other one had to tag along but at least you got to see Squeaky  ;)

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1165 on: 20:56:22, 15/05/20 »
Shame the other one had to tag along but at least you got to see Squeaky  ;)

;D

All of this Covid stuff has made me realise not to take the people you love for granted and to make the most of every day you have together. I'm off work until next Friday, I hope to make the journey down to see them another three times to make the most of the freedom we have while we have it. Who knows what will happen in the coming few weeks, all of us may be confined to barracks again. Carpe Diem.
Hate will never win

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1166 on: 21:11:52, 15/05/20 »
I drove 125 miles today to meet up with beefy and Squeaky in a green space near where he lives. We had a wonderful day and I was surprised how lovely the walk was (who needs the Lake District?) a varied walk with canals, moorland and woodland. 125 miles back home  again. I'm tired now, I'm not used to driving that far these days but I'm going to do it again on Sunday. I feel no guilt because I really couldn't have gone much longer without seeing them.
Was going to type a humourus comment but cant think of any!
Was wondering what was going to happen this weekend.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1167 on: 21:58:54, 15/05/20 »
Sounds like a good decision April - must be so hard to be separated like this.  Opened a bottle of wine yet?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1168 on: 22:17:14, 15/05/20 »
I thought long and hard about leaving my area.  I decided against the Lakes due to the huge amount of stay away pleas from MRT, LDNPA, FOL etc.  However, I yearned a day in the open, in hills, and in solitude.  So, headed for Quernmore on the west side of Bowland, and parked at Rigg Lane.  Car park barriers had not been taken down yesterday, but there is a very wide verge where I left the car.  Walked for just over 17 miles up on to Clougha Fell, Grit Pike, Ward Stones and then dropping down to do a circle of Tarnbrook  Fell, before picking up my outwood route for the return leg.

Sounds like an excellent walk.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1169 on: 22:18:27, 15/05/20 »

Glad that you got to meet up with Beefy and Squeaky, April. No guilt necessary.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy