Author Topic: Hello from the Portland Rover  (Read 3574 times)

Portland Rover

Hello from the Portland Rover
« on: 12:04:15, 28/01/11 »
Hi there, My name is Andy, and I am an avid walker, wandering my home Island and Royal Manor of Portland in Dorset of which I am Born and Bred. I have an extensive local knowledge of the island, and often set walking visitors on the right track. I have a Blog site which you are welcome to take a look at.... www.portland-rover.com [nofollow]
I am also a member of the South West Coast Path Association.
   I am always receptive to questions about my Island home, so please feel free to ask anything about Portland you like. I can advise you the best routes, Pubs, Hotels and history.

I have learnt that Walkers are the salt of the earth, and we are united in the love of our countryside and the nature and geology around us. I look forward to sharing my rambles with you all. Thanks for listening! Take care out there.   Andy O0     
Isle of Portland Volunteer Coast Ranger and SWCPA Rep

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello from the Portland Rover
« Reply #1 on: 12:16:12, 28/01/11 »
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. Don't think we have many members down your way. I didn't know Portland was an island. Only been down your way once when I went to Weymouth to meet a yacht. Liked the area but did wonder what is going to happen to the traffic that tries to get to the Olympic venue nearby. The roads were not good.

Paul

bootson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:33:00, 28/01/11 »
Welcome from Wiltshire  O0

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:39:29, 28/01/11 »
Hi Andy from oop North! My kids' headteacher moved down to work at Portland 3 years ago!  Been there many years ago, loved it. There are a few folk on here from round your way (-ish! Its south of Manchester so it's all the same to me  ;D )

Im sure you'll love this site  :)

Dave in Leeds
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Alex Quinn

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:12:45, 28/01/11 »
Hello and welcome from Aberdeen O0

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: 15:41:52, 28/01/11 »
Welcome to the forum mate. I was in Portland just last summer around mid July lovely rock O0
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Portland Rover

« Reply #6 on: 15:58:07, 28/01/11 »
Thank you very much for all your kind welcome.  For Dellwalker Paul; You thought the roads were bad then Paul....They have been redeveloped for the Portland Olympics....They could not be any worse than they are now!
   Portland is an "Almost Island" Only joined to the mainland by the Chesil Bank. (Oh, and the Ferry Bridge of course...But that doesn't count as it is Man made)
  For Bootson; Wiltshire is a truly wonderful place.
  For  amnesiacjimmy Dave; Thanks Mate....(Assuming you are a Leeds Utd fan) Doing really well this season!
  For Alex; Sorry never been to Aberdeen, but I have spent many months working in Scotland, trying to avoid the abundant Haggis from crawling up me Trousee's!
  and finally, to Old Climber (Me thinks a very fit Old Climber) Sorry I missed you! You never know...we could have already crossed Portland Paths?

Thanks again for the welcome. Really humbled!    Andy
« Last Edit: 17:52:48, 28/01/11 by Portland Rover »

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:03:13, 28/01/11 »
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum  O0

Hope you enjoy your time here,

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Portland Rover

« Reply #8 on: 17:09:17, 28/01/11 »
Thank You Tracey, Tis very kind of you, I am enjoying myself already! There are some really knowledgable folk on this Forum...I have been enjoying reading many posts. Take care!  Andy :) 

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:22:41, 28/01/11 »
Welcome, Andy - I'm in Somerset and currently working just over the border in N. Dorset so not too far away. May well make a trip down to Portland for a walk later in the year as it comes highly recommended by a colleague.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Portland Rover

« Reply #10 on: 17:30:44, 28/01/11 »
Hi Alewife, Thanks to you also. Yes, you are not that far away from the Jolly Rock. Maybe I will see you when you visit. Enjoy your walk, and feel free to give me a shout if you need any information or help about Portland.  Take care Neighbour....  Andy ;)

letmeoutofhere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:49:41, 28/01/11 »
Hi from Devon! we southerners are growing fast now! Never walked in Dorset, which is shaming considering how close I am really, must put that right sometime.   :)

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: 19:23:32, 28/01/11 »
Welcome, Andy - I'm in Somerset and currently working just over the border in N. Dorset so not too far away. May well make a trip down to Portland for a walk later in the year as it comes highly recommended by a colleague.

Interesting forum meet?

Has the new road from Dorchester been opened yet is saw some of the mess it was making near Upwey and the Littlemoor Road. The good point it will take away the bad turn on the steep hill. 
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Portland Rover

« Reply #13 on: 20:30:25, 28/01/11 »
Hello Old Climber, In answer to your question...The Bypass was considered in December to be "On Time" and "Under Budget". Unfortunately, shortly after that statement...The Snow came to South Dorset as it did to most of the country, and put back the work. Latest update has the bypass completion in late February, early March. But I can pretty much assure you that it will be open before the Summer.
   This will benefit our area, however the "Road Improvements" currently taking place in Weymouth will be a shock to most drivers. The large Roundabouts have been taken away and Traffic lights and double lanes put in their place. This is supposed to be improvements, but I fear the added confusion and the resulting delays will put people off coming here on holiday.
    These "Improvements" are part of the requirement for the Olympics, but I do wonder why they spend Millions on Traffic lights when Roundabouts clearly keep traffic moving. And it does not make any sense, as Portland will still only have 2 lanes...One heading on to Portland, and One heading to the Mainland, and the Olympic venue is on Portland. I hope this Answers your question.     All the best     Andy

the hux

« Reply #14 on: 20:35:49, 28/01/11 »
Hi from north devon  O0
Step into the light MMJ,welcome to Exmoor!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy