Author Topic: Newbie from West Yorkshire  (Read 4027 times)

Spacedeck

Re: Newbie from West Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: 22:04:02, 23/04/12 »
Well done Harrold, so young, so many miles to go. By the way hiking boots are designed to be dirty. Mine only ever get cleaned when there's a good few inches of snow on the ground. However if, unlike me, you're a clean & tidy person just give them a scrub & leave them to dry & I'm sure I've seen stuff you can buy to restore the leather. Enjoy your walks.  O0

From what the guy said to me in the shop when I bought them was to use a dry towel and wipe off the mud from the boots.  Return to the shop in 6 months and use some proper cleaning products.  When I did wipe it with a towel it all came off fine, then it just looked damp.  Although to say I bought the boots on Sunday, they never failed me once yesterday.  I did have to buy insoles to use with them though O0

Thanks everyone.

map mad kedge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:03:44, 24/04/12 »
Harold (spelt your name right this time - sorry about that)

The most important thing with boots is COMFORT. Doesn't matter what your milage is, they have got to be comfortable. Always get at least a size bigger than you are, to allow for thick socks, & ankle supports are useful.

Get out there & bed them in.

Have a good day.
All I want for Christmas is peace of mind.

Spacedeck

« Reply #17 on: 16:25:13, 24/04/12 »
Harold (spelt your name right this time - sorry about that)

The most important thing with boots is COMFORT. Doesn't matter what your milage is, they have got to be comfortable. Always get at least a size bigger than you are, to allow for thick socks, & ankle supports are useful.

Get out there & bed them in.

Have a good day.

Lol, yeah noticed.  No problem.

Comfort is VERY important indeed.  I've had boots / shoes give me much pain.  When I bought my Hi-Tec boots, they was very slight heel lift, so we proceeded to try some insoles which are much better.  From the walk on Sunday can sure say I have no complaints about how the boots handled it all.  I also tried them with thick socks on for the best fit which helped great.  my feet wasn't hurting from the walk.  A few times near the start I had to wear them in a little but overall I've no complaints.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 23:37:22, 24/04/12 »
Hey Harold, welcome from North Yorkshire.  I hope you enjoy the company O0 O0

Spacedeck

« Reply #19 on: 08:50:11, 26/04/12 »
Hello from Holmfirth

I know the area you walked very well, spent many hours around there in all weathers come day or night. Hope you enjoy the 3 peaks challenge

Nice, my parents are now buying the rest of the gear they need. When we go out, we may possibly get buss t Holmfirth and do a walk around there again.  If you was up for it, you could come along and show us some decent routes.  Just down the road isn't there also a big reservoir?  We was going to head that way last time but we started a little late.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:24:54, 26/04/12 »

oh that is bad, they sure do love you  ;D ::) ;D ;D

The name Harold always reminds me of Steptoe and Son ;D ;D  you dirty old man  :2funny:
Before his time dearie....  ::)

Hiya Harold  O0   All sounds exciting with all those 3 peaks, with training you should be fine and enjoy it all too. Might need to get some flippers if this weather continues tho eh but?  :o ;D
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

map mad kedge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:57:58, 26/04/12 »
Harold
Completed a lovely walk in your area back in March. Marsden, up along part of the Kirklees Way & then a good scramble onto Binn Moor & round to Slaithwaite, then drop down for a nice flat amble back to Marsden along the Calder & Hebble Canal. Can you get the bus there? Only took me an hour to drive there from Nottingham, mind you, when I drive, every asks 'where's the fire'? ;)  Still, I'm pretty safe, only had a few accidents and only 2 weren't my fault. :D

All I want for Christmas is peace of mind.

Spacedeck

« Reply #22 on: 14:38:06, 03/05/12 »
Well got word the Y3P has changed.  Instead we are doing a walk in the lake district on the mountain Helvellyn.  Does anyone have good experience of this place?  It isn't as challenging at the Y3P but I still hope to complete that someday maybe with you laadies/gen.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:45:27, 03/05/12 »
Well got word the Y3P has changed.  Instead we are doing a walk in the lake district on the mountain Helvellyn.  Does anyone have good experience of this place?  It isn't as challenging at the Y3P but I still hope to complete that someday maybe with you laadies/gen.
I have great experiences of Helvellyn it was me first ever fell in the Lakes, it will certainly not disappoint. It was cloudy all the way up but the clouds cleared when we were at the top for 15 minutesand the view was like shangrila...ive done it 4 times since then 5 years ago. It is a very spiritual place for me for some reason. It was at that moment that I reallised I wanted to get back there as much as I could  O0 O0 O0 O0

Its not as challenging in one way but if you get bad weather up there it can be very dangerous I hope you have someone experienced who knows it well. Hopefully that willnever happen and you get the views, you will have many wow moments that i can promise you. My favourite way is up from Patterdale tohole in wall then along striding edge, helvellyn , down swirral edge, up to catstycam bum slide down catstycam then birks and a visit to lanty s tarn and back to base.

Saying that i think i actrually preferred a way i was shown where you go from glenridding past the old dam that burst then right up back of catstycam to emerge at its top, drop down to red tarn then prety much as described above. You may get addicted though so be warned  O0 O0  Take lots o pics I miss the ole place.... O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

PAG1952

« Reply #24 on: 06:26:47, 04/05/12 »
I don't have waterproof trousers so I was just wearing jeans.  They holded well to the rain we had and by the end they wasn't soaked.
I'd avoid walking in jeans, they can get very uncomfortable especially when wet.  I'd suggest getting a pair of Craghopper Kiwis or similar.
Good luck with the walk.
The sun is always shining.......... it's just that on most days the clouds stop us from seeing it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy