Author Topic: What I dislike about hiking and camping.  (Read 2528 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
What I dislike about hiking and camping.
« on: 11:14:00, 04/05/19 »
Three experiences come instantly to mind. On a wet morning, either because of rain or condensation I always try to get out of my tent without getting a large splash of water on my back but I rarely manage it!

The other experience is when I decide to rest after hiking a while. My back is usually damp with perspiration which then quickly cools when I take my rucksack off. Putting my rucksack on again is for me a horrible sensation, so cold as my damp clothing and the back of my rucksack comes together once more.

I get my tent up, organise everything and get going to the pub. So annoying when I realise I've forgotten my small torch and even more annoying when my phone needs a charge and I bring the wrong connection lead with me! I have an Anker battery which uses one type of lead and a phone which needs another type to charge.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: What I dislike about hiking and camping.
« Reply #1 on: 11:54:23, 04/05/19 »

Getting cold hands from handling metal tent poles whilst breaking camp on a frosty morning - sure to put me in a bad mood!

Experienced similar in a minor way this morning whilst timekeeping at the Kirkwall Parkrun - the north wind was VERY cold, and I had to keep busy with the stopwatch. Poundland gloves not up to it!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:29:49, 04/05/19 »
Do these not come under the general heading of "first world problems"?

Ralph

« Reply #3 on: 13:38:43, 04/05/19 »
Getting cold hands from handling metal tent poles whilst breaking camp on a frosty morning - sure to put me in a bad mood!

Experienced similar in a minor way this morning whilst timekeeping at the Kirkwall Parkrun - the north wind was VERY cold, and I had to keep busy with the stopwatch. Poundland gloves not up to it!
[/quote

Don't use metal poles or cheap gloves, problems solved.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:56:58, 04/05/19 »
The other experience is when I decide to rest after hiking a while. My back is usually damp with perspiration which then quickly cools when I take my rucksack off. Putting my rucksack on again is for me a horrible sensation, so cold as my damp clothing and the back of my rucksack comes together once more.

It's a horrible feeling. I now wear compression tops under my main tshirt, this is snug against the skin. Then, when I put my rucksack back on my outside tshirt presses against the compression top and not the skin which means no cold sensation. Also, my outer tshirt doesn't get as sweaty and therefore not as smelly as the compression top (supposedly) wicks the sweat away.

As for the different leads for Anker and phone, sometimes you can buy small adaptors meaning no need to carry two leads.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:41:49, 04/05/19 »
Do these not come under the general heading of "first world problems"?

Indeed. My choice to go camping.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:42:20, 04/05/19 »
Fibreglass poles are rubbish, Ralph.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:02:00, 04/05/19 »
Midges.  Hate the little critters.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:15:41, 04/05/19 »
Midges.  Hate the little critters.
Same for me. Fortunately, they prefer my wife to me.

Pitboot

« Reply #9 on: 17:28:28, 04/05/19 »
Bob's Law, it follows me everywhere.

To explain; No matter where I go, campsite, lonely boulder with a nice view, secluded bit of beach, layby in the hills, path through the woods, anywhere:

Some one will ALWAYS turn up, sit or stand close by, and ruin it. I could hire myself out to jungle or desert expeditions, they would never lose touch with the rest of the human race because in a very short time someone will arrive.

My wife laughs, it happens all of the time. Thank god we have a lock on the flat door.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:21:54, 04/05/19 »
Bob's Law, it follows me everywhere.

To explain; No matter where I go, campsite, lonely boulder with a nice view, secluded bit of beach, layby in the hills, path through the woods, anywhere:

Some one will ALWAYS turn up, sit or stand close by, and ruin it. I could hire myself out to jungle or desert expeditions, they would never lose touch with the rest of the human race because in a very short time someone will arrive.

My wife laughs, it happens all of the time. Thank god we have a lock on the flat door.
Lol!  ;D
Like the time I arrived on top of the Chiltern escarpment on the dot of 1:00 pm and spied a simple little bench where I could eat my sandwich and enjoy the glorious view. As I walked towards it a young female jogger appeared out of nowhere and beat me to it. Then all she did was fiddle with her phone while I glowered at her from my seat on the grass a few yards away.

Another time, I got my camera out on a different bit of the same escarpment. As I composed and focussed, a kid in a bright yellow t-shirt came up the slope and messed about in the foreground. I would really liked to have gone up to him and told him to b*gger off!

JohnpM

« Reply #11 on: 20:39:12, 04/05/19 »
Walking through boggy peat hags. A real low for me. And getting your boot sucked off by mud. Not nice.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:49:19, 04/05/19 »
I dislike the fact that my achilles tendon starts playing up after about 4 miles and lessens my enjoyment of the walk thereafter (because I'm in pain). 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:37:27, 04/05/19 »
I dislike the fact that my achilles tendon starts playing up after about 4 miles and lessens my enjoyment of the walk thereafter (because I'm in pain).
I feel your pain

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:40:02, 04/05/19 »
Gates that are a struggle to open and shut

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy