Author Topic: Cheap Travelodge  (Read 900 times)

Little Foot

Cheap Travelodge
« on: 15:58:54, 22/07/20 »
Ok, not everyone's cup of tea as it is hardly luxurious, or wild camping, but thought it might be of use to some to know that Travelodge have an offer where if you book a saver room for a night you can get a second night free. I've just booked two nights in Manchester in August, midweek, for £30 for myself and my son. The offer ends the 24th at midnight.

Figured I could either take a train to the Lake District for a day trip and also keep the lad happy and have a look around Manchester. I've looked at booking Kendal TL for two nights before we hit Manchester , but that is slightly higher at £95 for the two nights.  :'(

Figured if someone wanted to go exploring another region, the offer may come in handy. HTHs.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Cheap Travelodge
« Reply #1 on: 17:14:56, 22/07/20 »
Much as I dislike them, Travelodges do have their uses upon occasion. And they'll take a dog for an extra cleaning fee.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Little Foot

« Reply #2 on: 18:11:26, 22/07/20 »
Much as I dislike them, Travelodges do have their uses upon occasion. And they'll take a dog for an extra cleaning fee.

Didn't realise they allowed dogs. I wouldn't want to stay a long while in one of those hotels, but £30 for two nights I thought was a decent deal.

I've also managed to book a campsite at Kendal for three nights before hitting Manchester, costing £58. They are doing 30% off grass pitches so we will be going to Kendal and Windermere walking for a couple of days. Train fares from the opposite side of the country were only £35 return for myself and my boy, so for 6 days away, it costs just over £120 for travel and accommodation.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:59:13, 22/07/20 »
That interesting, having a serious allergy to dogs, which no amount of extra cleaning will cure, I shall avoid them.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:13:19, 22/07/20 »
That interesting, having a serious allergy to dogs, which no amount of extra cleaning will cure, I shall avoid them.

I believe that they only allow dogs in certain rooms.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:36:53, 22/07/20 »

I believe that they only allow dogs in certain rooms.
Just like Swallow hotels said they did.  They also claimed that some rooms were permanently non-smoking rooms, found out that was untrue.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:14:49, 24/07/20 »
When our son lived in Edinburgh we used to use a lot of Travelodges, my wife became really good at getting cheap prices.
When we used to go to France a lot we used the French Accor Group hotels, Formula Une was the cheapest, if we had organised a touring holiday for ourselves. Premiere Classe was the most interesting, we just turned up at the hotel, put our card in a machine, a slip of paper with the room code came out and we just punched the number in outside our door and we were in the room. Never saw a member of staff at all. They turned up early evening and then organised breakfast in the morning. All of the staircases to the rooms were on the outside of the building which was also a novelty.

Little Foot

« Reply #7 on: 15:05:06, 24/07/20 »
Love Edinburgh GWM, was at the festival last year and had a great time.

I ended up having a change of plan for this trip. Not long after booking the campsite at Kendal and then the train journey, I get an email from the campsite asking me if I had my own chemical toilet as they weren't providing toilets. Since there is no UL option for one, and I only have a trowel, they've refunded phew!. Weird as I noticed it saying about the lack of hygiene facilities on a different campsite, but not the one I opted for. Think I viewed it from a comparison site or whatever they're called so that's how I missed it.

Anyway, this left me with a dilemma. I had three nights that I needed accommodation for (last resort was changing the outward train journey). Looked at hotel comparison sites for the area and they were too expensive, averaging around £300+. Campsites were either first come, first served (which worried me about them having room), full or lacking facilities. Staying in Manchester would be too expensive for train fares to Windermere for the three days. Travelodge at Kendal was around £170 (includes one night free) but was at least an hour's walk from the train station.

Thankfully I've found Premier Inn at Kendal right near the train station, which costs the same as the Travelodge but at least I'm not having a long walk to the place. I was tempted to wild camp, but figured it might be difficult for me to find different suitable sites. I've decided to use this trip as a reccy though, and actually see if I can get up those big hills before deciding to camp on one lol.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:44:16, 24/07/20 »
A good choice, my wife and I have used that Premier Inn. We really enjoyed visiting Edinburgh, for us the best looking city in the whole of the UK and the best to go out in the evening as well. They now live in Winchester, nice enough in my view but even that doesn't compare.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:29:54, 24/07/20 »
Premier Inns far superior to Travelodges, in my humble opinion.

Quite a lot of busses run from Kendal, LittleFoot, specifically to Ambleside and beyond, right into the heart of the hills. Also, within walking distance of Kendal is Scout Scar, a limestone ridge to the west. Enjoy your stay  :) 

https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/buses/lakes/
505 to Windermere, Ambleside and Coniston (only 1 bus a day)
555 Windermere, Ambleside, Grasmere, Keswick (lots of busses)

..and let us know how you get on.
« Last Edit: 17:38:01, 24/07/20 by richardh1905 »

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:01:54, 24/07/20 »
I agree. I have had some excellent freshly cooked breakfasts in Premier Inns that were much better than those in much more expensive hotels.

Little Foot

« Reply #11 on: 19:54:02, 24/07/20 »
A good choice, my wife and I have used that Premier Inn. We really enjoyed visiting Edinburgh, for us the best looking city in the whole of the UK and the best to go out in the evening as well. They now live in Winchester, nice enough in my view but even that doesn't compare.

I lived in Fife for 6 months working voluntarily with dementia sufferers, visiting them in their own homes. Some sad times but also brilliant too. Used to be able to watch boxing hares from my window.

Quite a lot of busses run from Kendal, LittleFoot, specifically to Ambleside and beyond, right into the heart of the hills. Also, within walking distance of Kendal is Scout Scar, a limestone ridge to the west. Enjoy your stay  :) 

https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/buses/lakes/
505 to Windermere, Ambleside and Coniston (only 1 bus a day)
555 Windermere, Ambleside, Grasmere, Keswick (lots of busses)

..and let us know how you get on.

Thanks for the info. I want to Visit Ambleside and Coniston has a camp site I was looking at, but was the first come first served one and was worried I wouldn't get in, so would like to visit to check transport routes etc for other trips. I shall look up Scout Scar now!

I agree. I have had some excellent freshly cooked breakfasts in Premier Inns that were much better than those in much more expensive hotels.

My dad said they do a nice brekkie!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy