Author Topic: Synthetic baselayers  (Read 2069 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Synthetic baselayers
« on: 14:43:31, 20/04/20 »
I have a couple of Odlo tight-fitting long-sleeved baselayers, after reading various reviews and tests I bought two on a special offer. I'm normally a medium but decided to buy the large versions and I'm glad I did, the large feels fine as a size but overall I'm disappointed with them.  I've learned from experience that I'm just not a fan of having that 'trussed up' feeling, they cling all over, including my arms and they always seem to have a hard-to-describe chilliness about them which never seems to go away. It could be that they are working well but I just can't deal with the 'chilly' sensation for more than about an hour. I now use them for running only.

So I'm on the lookout for lightweight repacements, I'm also looking at the possibility of merino wool as well. Merino for me, has always presented me with a problem. I already have one merino baselayer (a cheap one) and every time, until the end of last year, that I wore it, I started to itch, especially when I was walking up steep hills and I always itched badly across my chest area. My wife thought it might be the detergent that we use so we've changed and it seems to have made a difference. The best one so far seems to be Persil normal. I'll test it more in the next couple of weeks by wearing it when I run to see what happens. As a side note, I can only use aluminium free underarm products, if I don't I itch like crazy! Maybe there's a link and I'm just an oddity?

Marsden Moor

Re: Synthetic baselayers
« Reply #1 on: 15:03:06, 20/04/20 »
100% polyester for me but like you it needs to be baggy as for clinging I got rid of that by letting them air dry instead of using a dryer, may make a difference to you if you use a dryer, My problem is getting one big enough but slowly getting better at working on that

Detergent has got to be surf for me otherwise it’s a nightmare with itching and as for deodorant got to be brut or old spice or get the same 

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:28:23, 20/04/20 »
New Formula Bold caused me to go to the special clinic.
I am allergic to just about everything, but found that Tesco Colour Tablets are fine.
Underarm I have to use any of the 'for sensitive skin' ones.
Been great being furloughed as not had to wear any.
« Last Edit: 06:54:48, 21/04/20 by SteamyTea »
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Rigel

« Reply #3 on: 00:43:32, 21/04/20 »
Maybe try Nenuco washing gel for clothes. And Nenuco cologne (adults)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:11:13, 21/04/20 »
I love merino - Go Outdoors own brand are slightly thicker than Icebreaker but very comfortable (wear them most of the time whether walking or not). Much cheaper to, of course.

Always check the label for the actual make up of the material - many of the lighter ones have a high percentage of synthetic fibre

Re detergent, Surf is the only one which in the past caused me a problem - we're all different and none of us the same.
Ecover is my preferred brand.
« Last Edit: 08:14:48, 21/04/20 by Jac »
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:15:50, 21/04/20 »
Surf is the only one which in the past caused me a problem - we're all different and none of us the same.
Ecover is my preferred brand.
I was told, but have never check, that biological detergents are harsher on the skin that non-bio ones.

We are all individuals, just like everyone else.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:29:29, 21/04/20 »
New Formula Bold caused me to go to the special clinic.

;D ;D ;D That's what you told your partner was it?

I just happened to spot some non-bio powder in Tesco last Friday which said on the box about it being non-irritating to skin compared to biological ones, or something like that.

+1 for Ecover.

Synthetic baselayers: I bought Helly Hansen ones from Screwfix on the suggestion of someone on the forum,  half the weight of my earlier ones (the most important bit for me), dead cheap (the second most important bit) and quite effective.
« Last Edit: 09:34:04, 21/04/20 by fernman »

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:41:45, 21/04/20 »
Decathlon used to do £15 merino blend baselayers and they were excellent and surprisingly durably if you take good care of them. The newer version is £20 (I think) and a bit thinner, unfortunately. But probably still OK (haven't worn one yet). They only sell them in the winter.

Since they are so cheap, I haven't used synthetic ones after "discovering" them in 2014. I like them so much better that synthetic. Work well across a broad temperature range and on long walks I sometimes wear them for weeks on end without washing, while the smell is still acceptable. Never had problems with itching.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Sevenup

« Reply #8 on: 12:19:13, 21/04/20 »
I’ve been wearing the Decathlon merino long sleeve base layer tops. I prefer them over the heavier ice breaker tops I have. Dry quickly enough after leaky uphill walks and keep me comfortable whatever the conditions and whatever top I wear with them. I was thinking of trying some of the Sherpa merino tops instead of fleece https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/2014886 to see if I can cut down on plastics. I sweat a lot when I’m walking so something quick drying is a bonus.
Much to the annoyance of my wife I’ve been trying the decathlon tops for consecutive days for a ‘smell’ test. 4 days is my limit 😱

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:32:47, 21/04/20 »
4 days is my limit 😱

My record is 5 weeks without a shower and wearing the same Decathlon merino longsleeve as baselayer while carrying a large backpack every day. I'm not lying. This was in the Himalayas in Nepal.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Sevenup

« Reply #10 on: 12:48:36, 21/04/20 »
This was fir household purposes only. I’d be happy to take 2 with me for an extended period. Really good VFM

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:02:44, 21/04/20 »
Much to the annoyance of my wife I’ve been trying the decathlon tops for consecutive days for a ‘smell’ test. 4 days is my limit 😱
what us your wife's limit.

Sevenup

« Reply #12 on: 14:53:16, 21/04/20 »
When I said 4 days was my limit, it was because my wife told me 😳

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:14:55, 21/04/20 »
No issues with synthetic base layers here.  I buy mine from sports direct for peanuts. O0

They do have a very different feel to natural layers.  However as I am one of those who almost always needs to get rid of heat when walking, I find the slightly damp cool feel of the material a welcome relief.  The important thing is the layer above the base layer remains dry, when you need to add it. :)

Sevenup

« Reply #14 on: 17:18:20, 21/04/20 »
I have been buying synthetics from decathlon too. Unfortunately mine reach a point where no amount of hot washes clear away the sourness which rise after 20 minutes walking. I’m converted to their merino

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy