Author Topic: Music while walking  (Read 3060 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Music while walking
« on: 19:21:43, 02/08/19 »
Do you ladies, gentlemen or otherwise ever listen to music while you're out walking? If so, what?

I was convinced this would spoil it in the past but I've been listening to music walking around town lately and it's an improvement. I still think it might spoil a walk in the hills but I'm not as convinced of this as before.

Should I be hung, drawn and quartered for even considering it or is there a place for it out of the town?

Thoughts?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Music while walking
« Reply #1 on: 19:27:29, 02/08/19 »
Hang him from the yard arm. ;D

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:30:45, 02/08/19 »
Burn him, he's a witch.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:31:38, 02/08/19 »
I rarely listen to music at any time apart from Classic FM or Radio 3 in the car, usually when Woman's Hour is on.

Solo walking, I do enjoy Radio 4 or a podcast such as The Infinite Monkey Cage.  It gives my brain something to do while the rest of me is on autopilot.  I can still multi task sufficiently to navigate and appreciate my surroundings.  My kids have music on constantly but they never listen to it - I know because if you ask them what has just been on, they have no idea.  I switched it off once and it took them ages to realise.
Solvitur Ambulando

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:32:21, 02/08/19 »
Only the music of the fells.. The wind in the grass, the babbling of brooks and streams. The baa-ing of sheep and the patter of rain in the tree canopy... It beats me why anyone would listen to owt else in the hills. And I love music!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:23:22, 02/08/19 »
I don't listen to music when I'm walking as I like to hear the sounds of the natural world, such as birdsong or waves on the shore.   Walking on the downs, for instance, it's lovely hearing the trilling of skylarks.  Also I like to be aware of what's going on around me  -  eg  cyclists or farm machinery coming along behind.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:32:19, 02/08/19 »
Yeah I usually like the sounds of nature too but I've really got back into music these past few days and have had it on almost constantly the idea of switching it off for a long time feels weird. I'm sure once I get out there tomorrow I'll feel differently.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:33:33, 02/08/19 »
I don't listen to music but I do like to sing for myself if there is no one around. 

Many people do listen to music and enjoy doing so. It doesn't actually need to bother anyone else as modern decent ear buds tend to keep  the sound in.
The only proviso would be as per Dovegirls contribution don't let it affect your awareness of what is happening around  you.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:48:23, 02/08/19 »
Music whilst walking - never.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:44:11, 02/08/19 »
Never while on a proper walk. I do listen to music when walking around the streets or local parks to build up fitness. Fast paced music encourages a fast walking pace. In the hills and countryside nature has enough sounds.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:20:07, 03/08/19 »
I would never use headphones outside of the house except maybe when sat on a train. So it’s a no from me.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:12:08, 03/08/19 »
NEVER while walking, and never while out and about in fact, except when I'm in my car when I play 70s rock full blast on CDs I make from music from YouTube. But I do turn the volume down when I'm in queues and waiting at traffic lights, as I'm not sure how other drivers would react to a grey-haired oldie with something like Mountain or Rory Gallagher blasting away  :-[

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:50:53, 03/08/19 »
Mrs BWW has one of those Ipod things, but she doesn't use it when walking. When my hearing was better, I told her what many of the sounds of the countryside are. Now she can pickup the slightest hint of a wood pecker and is first on the ball with the cuckoo. I am not very good a birdsongs, but there is a difference between the warning call a blackbird makes for a domestic cat or a stoat, sometimes wish I had paid more attention to my old countryside mentors in my youth.

Last week Mrs BWW picked up on a waterfall in Glen Strae, by the sound, I had seen it on the map but finding it might have passed us by, if the sound had not added to the intrigue to the location. It was hidden away in forestry and behind a deer fence, it was the highlight of our walk, as the River Strae fell into a a narrow gorge cut by a lesser burn cutting at right angles across it's course down the Glen.

I have been fortunate to locate many more sites of Peregrine Falcons, by catching the warning calls at a distance, than I expect many walkers are aware of. Since I made Mrs BWW aware of the smell of a fox, the number of times she picks it up, now my sense of smell is not so good, makes me feel that I have helped increase her awareness of wildlife. This may not be an audible clue but is among the many signs that can tell the visitor that the countryside is not an empty space.
« Last Edit: 10:56:27, 03/08/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:22:11, 03/08/19 »
Despise my heresy I did not in practice take the music out into nature, nor did I miss it.  :)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:41:56, 03/08/19 »
One of the greatest pleasures I have had from our walking together is seeing how my partner has developed awareness from some of the tips I have been able to give, that is the point I was trying to make and was not intended as an argumentative point aimed at those, who choose otherwise.
Perhaps posing your heresy was a lure, do you fish by the way  ;) .
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy