Author Topic: Liner socks experience  (Read 1167 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Liner socks experience
« on: 16:07:49, 06/04/19 »
I know the subject has been written about before but I remember reading some views about them a few months ago so I thought I would give the idea a try. I started by using my ordinary day to day cotton socks and after being pleased with the result I popped down to Millets and bought a pair labelled as liner socks, I wanted longer socks, my day to day ones were too short for me.

My personal view now is, why didn't I try them years ago? Until a few months, I only ever wore one pair of socks, wearing two is so comfortable.

I also now wear two when I go off road running, this works well for me, my feet feel good at the end of a run in a way they didn't before.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Liner socks experience
« Reply #1 on: 16:23:41, 06/04/19 »
Don't have personal experience (my socks are a combination of Merino wool, Coolmax, nylon and Lycra) but others have told me cotton socks are no good for long distances as they get heavy with sweat and give you blisters.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:26:55, 06/04/19 »
I got some liner socks last year after my boots gave me bad blisters when I restarted walking. I didn’t get any blisters when using them, but I also changed my boots. I think my feet had changed shape, hence my old boots no longer worked for me.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:29:05, 06/04/19 »
Sort of on this topic why is it better to have thicker socks? Someone bought me some nice Bridgedale hiking socks but they gave me blisters and I was told this was because they were too thick. I use socks sold for walking in but they're actually thinner than my everyday cotton socks (which are quite thick).

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:50:45, 06/04/19 »
I've always worn two pairs, thin inner and thicker outer. Theory is they prevent blisters as thin ones stick to your feet, thick ones to your boots and any rubbing therefore takes place between the sock layers. I rarely get blisters so I reckon it works ;)
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:00:50, 06/04/19 »
There is an etiquette to wearing 2 pairs of socks. The inner set are worn up over the trousers (brown corduroy, of course) and are ideally red although grey is acceptable. The outer pair, always pale grey are worn rolled down over the top of the boots.
A gentleman would not dream of being seen out on the hills dressed any other way.
I’m not a proper gentlemen so I only wear one pair - Bridgedales naturally.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:43:54, 06/04/19 »
Another fan of two pairs here.
For day walks in the Chilterns or elsewhere, a pair of Bridgedale liner socks or whatever they call them, and a pair if loopstitch wool socks on top. The theory is the liner socks wick moisture away from your feet, keeping them drier and more comfortable. It works for me.
For backpacking in wet, sploshy mountains with bogs, streams and waterlogged paths I wear thin-to-medium synthetic material walking socks under a pair of Sealskinz. Not as comfortable as the liner socks/loopstitch wool socks combination, but more importantly my feet stay dry (until the Sealskinz wear out, they have a relatively short life).

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:07:41, 06/04/19 »
We've always worn liner socks, though the Bridgedale ones of recent years are far too long for our liking - they used to be a lot shorter. We're using D&G liner ankle socks from a sports shop now, not quite as good material as the old Bridgedales but we're looking out for others.

...why is it better to have thicker socks?.

Because they add a bit of extra underfoot cushioning, every little helps when walking long daily distances.

Someone bought me some nice Bridgedale hiking socks but they gave me blisters and I was told this was because they were too thick.

Sheesh, who said that?. If you get blisters the socks are the last thing to worry about - let me guess: are you wearing heavy stiff clodhopping boots?. If so, well there you go - join the crowd sitting massaging their feet after even a short walk.

I've always worn two pairs, thin inner and thicker outer. Theory is they prevent blisters as thin ones stick to your feet, thick ones to your boots and any rubbing therefore takes place between the sock layers.

Spot on, it works well.

There is an etiquette to wearing 2 pairs of socks. The inner set are worn up over the trousers (brown corduroy, of course) and are ideally red although grey is acceptable. The outer pair, always pale grey are worn rolled down over the top of the boots.
A gentleman would not dream of being seen out on the hills dressed any other way.

Aaargh!, a r*mbler you mean?.

Ronin83

« Reply #8 on: 20:56:10, 06/04/19 »
I tried the 2 socks method, but my feet just got really hot and soaked with sweat.
I seem to have a problem with my feet, or atleast my toes. They just don't regulate temperature. Freezing cold if I'm not moving and hot and sweaty if I use the 2 socks method or use wool socks.

So...for me an average pair of socks work best, but try to get them with a bit of padding.
You just have to try what works for you.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:12:23, 06/04/19 »
I tried liner socks / 2 sock method and didn't get on with it.  The liner socks seemed to fight with the other socks and strangle my toes  :-\

Having said that, I don't really get blisters unless I've got hard skin anyway so I don't bother with liner socks anymore.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:34:39, 06/04/19 »

Because they add a bit of extra underfoot cushioning, every little helps when walking long daily distances.

Thank you.

Sheesh, who said that?. If you get blisters the socks are the last thing to worry about - let me guess: are you wearing heavy stiff clodhopping boots?. If so, well there you go - join the crowd sitting massaging their feet after even a short walk.

Meindl Meran GTX boots. Weirdly though, I've only ever got blisters the once when I wore the Bridgedales, if I wear Karrimor Merino Fibre Midweight Walking Socks I've not got them once in maybe 13 walks in the Meindl boots so it looks like it is the socks.

I've never heard of liner socks before, sorry for cluttering the thread a bit with my questions.

chrismen

« Reply #11 on: 19:26:29, 07/04/19 »
I've always worn two pairs, thin inner and thicker outer. Theory is they prevent blisters as thin ones stick to your feet, thick ones to your boots and any rubbing therefore takes place between the sock layers. I rarely get blisters so I reckon it works ;)
Plus the thin inners wash and dry really quickly, keeping your feet fresh and healthy, while you wash the thick outers every other day or five ...
Chris

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy