Author Topic: Have you ever had a hiking 'I could have died' moment?  (Read 4410 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Have you ever had a hiking 'I could have died' moment?
« Reply #30 on: 23:43:39, 19/12/18 »
And this could also be posted in the "strangest thing you've seen on a walk" thread. Two for the price of one   :o
;D ;D ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 23:50:32, 19/12/18 »
;D ;D ;D

Ha ha ... I changed it while you were posting back  O0
I should clarify my "two for the price of one" comment - a) because two posts relate to one event, and b) two strange things on a walk - first of which being pleb himself and secondly him dipping his hand into his pocket.
Apologies pleb - not that I know about any of this personally, it's just based on beefy's musings  ::)
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 09:41:58, 20/12/18 »
Several. I prefer to call them learning experiences.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 09:53:34, 20/12/18 »
Not sure it was a "Could have died" moment, but my 20 minute spa treatment in the Pewits last year certainly scared the begorrah out of me.  As mananddog says, a learning experience.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #34 on: 09:59:16, 20/12/18 »
This is an interesting thread. I recently picked up a book by Hugh Maslen Jones "Countdown to Rescue" published in the 1980s. It recounts numerous tragic incidents during his time as a member of the Llanberis MRT. It should be compulsory reading for all those contemplating winter walking on Snowdon. I say winter but as the tales of woe report - you can get atrocious weather on Snowdon at any time of the year. The author was an early adopter of search and rescue dogs and numerous reports show their value in searches over large areas. Of course the technology available then predates mobile phones and SARLOC etc.

When I started hillwaking about 9 years ago, the group was led by a member of the Kinder MRT. At the October post-walk drink, he went through with us the contents of his rucksack and asked us to get properly equipped with survival bag,  and head torch etc. I've manged to avoid using the head torch, so far.

Dave

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #35 on: 10:04:38, 20/12/18 »
Just to follow up my previous post - you can find the above book and other on Amazon. Maslen Jones is/was ex-army and saw active service in the far east.

Dave

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 14:31:34, 20/12/18 »
I think you mean Bob Maslen Jones, sadly now passed away. He wrote “Countdown to Rescue” and “A Perilous Playground”, both good reads mainly Snowdonia based, about Mountain Rescue, Sarda and loads of incidents and accidents in the mountains going way back  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy