Author Topic: I made a mistake, I should have bought.....!  (Read 1680 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I made a mistake, I should have bought.....!
« on: 11:28:07, 12/01/21 »
After many purchases, I have a few items which were for me were purchase mistakes.

Vaude Poncho - I like poncho's but have found out from experience that the Vaude Ponch and others like it, where they have to be pulled over one's head and over the rucksack is a real faff. Getting it right means I have to become a contortionist! If I ever buy another one it will be with buttons, studs or a full zip DOWN THE FRONT of the garment.

Waterproof trousers - Can't stand them, much prefer a rain skirt and gaiters to keep me dry.

Paramo Alta 2 - For me a £250 letdown, heavy, unsuitable for the summer and doesn't roll up small.

Stratosphere Bivvy - I couldn't cope with the covered head area, claustrophobic.

Alpkit Hunker Bivvy - I didn't find it easy to use until I fitted a 4' waterproof zip along one side. It's now great.

Underwear - My M & S day to day ones fell apart when hiking, my £3.99 ones from Decathlon are near perfect.

Waterproof ear covering warm hats - My £25 Lowe Alpine hat was great (I lost it) but my £10 Highlander, almost the same design, is definitely better.

Gloves - mine were always wet inside until I designed my own glove covering tubes. Two waterproof coat sleeves cut off at the elbow, now my gloves stay dry.

Decathlon Phone/cards Pouch - great pouch, useless neckband. A new 1" wide and soft neckband sewed on makes all the difference. I can now wear it and not realise its there until the items are needed.

All items just personal to me.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: I made a mistake, I should have bought.....!
« Reply #1 on: 12:24:31, 12/01/21 »
Coleman Phad 3 man tent - useless in the wind, poles much too flexible for the size of tent. But I sold it for what I paid for it on ebay, so no great loss.

Karrimor KSB3 fabric boots - way back in 1983 - an early fabric boot that I wrecked in a matter of weeks. Deadly on descents as they had a rounded heel!

..but on the whole I have been either reasonably or very satisfied with my purchases over the years. I have worn other boots out, but I have always managed to get at least year out of them, so can't complain too much.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Thedogsmother

« Reply #2 on: 21:39:13, 12/01/21 »
My MSR Elixir 2 tent in green instead of grey. I love the tent, especially the good headroom and the design is very solid in wind, but the green would have been better as it blends in to the landscape better

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 05:46:10, 13/01/21 »
My most expensive mistakes have always been boots...inspite of always trying them on in shop, etc...sometimes once I’ve used them on “proper” walks they have not felt really comfortable.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:04:30, 13/01/21 »
Needing new boots, I looked at almost every brand that was available, read as many reviews as I could, and I compiled a lengthy list of them.

I settled on an expensive top-of-the-range model, and when they were delivered I tried them on. They were superbly made while the fit and comfort were absolutely perfect, but they weighed a ton! After wearing them in my house for no more than ten minutes I weighed them, when I was shocked to find the pair were 1808g, whereas the maker's website had given the weight as 1578g. Even if that was the weight of the smallest size I don't know how there could be that much difference. And I thought my old boots were too heavy at 1708g!

The new boots went straight back to the seller at my expense, following which there was a delay in receiving a refund, which Amazon themselves ended up paying. I have since bought another make/model which are not the same quality but they only weigh 1304g.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:52:58, 13/01/21 »
Paramo waterproof :buck2:

Horrid slippery feel, heavy but not warm, can't be rolled up easily into the back back, awkward tension ribbons round the hood.
I like marmite but not paramo

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:48:29, 13/01/21 »
I settled on an expensive top-of-the-range model, and when they were delivered I tried them on. They were superbly made while the fit and comfort were absolutely perfect, but they weighed a ton! After wearing them in my house for no more than ten minutes I weighed them, when I was shocked to find the pair were 1808g, whereas the maker's website had given the weight as 1578g. Even if that was the weight of the smallest size I don't know how there could be that much difference. And I thought my old boots were too heavy at 1708g!

For the benefit of other forum members the make, model and size of the boot being referred to by fernman is the Scarpa Ranger II GTX Activ in Size EU 44. https://www.scarpa.co.uk/trek/ranger-2-gtx-activ/

EDIT: I have just checked a few other popular Scarpa models on their website and they all state the weight quoted relates to a size EU 42 / UK 8. On that basis I suppose the 1578g quoted for the Scarpa Ranger II GTX Activ could also be assumed to relate to a size EU 42 / UK 8. Even so 230g difference between a pair of size EU 44 and size EU 42 is surprising.
« Last Edit: 12:39:23, 13/01/21 by kinkyboots »

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:53:26, 13/01/21 »
I've made quite a few mistakes with gear, but in almost every case the fault was not with the gear but with me and my unusual body characteristics. You just never know with some gear until you try it on a long walk.

Two lightweight backpacking packs that both seemed perfect at home:-
A Nigor ZeroG, 1.05kg  49l. Excellent in all respects - except for my 30" waist!. I couldn't get the waist belt tight enough, despite removing the loops on the hip belt, resulting in unacceptable sag.

A Gregory Optic, weight 1.1kg volume 58l. Great pack  - except for the bony bits at the base of my spine that stick out somewhat. It felt fine for 20+miles, then the fairly thin padding at the bottom caused considerable pain on those bones.

I was shocked to find the pair were 1808g, whereas the maker's website had given the weight as 1578g. Even if that was the weight of the smallest size I don't know how there could be that much difference. And I thought my old boots were too heavy at 1708g!
This has been the case for years with some manufacturers, and some retailers are as bad, making statements like "Weight XXXg" without any reference to the size. Salomon used to do it a lot, maybe they've improved.
Years ago our deep winter boots weighed less than that!.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:31:24, 13/01/21 »
After owning a Golite Jam (now gone to a new home) and I always fancied a Nigor rucksack, the one I looked at was like the Jam but with a strapped 'lid' on it. I remember that my Jam was always tightened up to near the limit of its hip belt straps. Did you really tighten it around your waist, or do you mean that you tightened it around your hips? I never bought a Nigor though, I just thought it was too expensive, but I have always liked the Dymeena material.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:43:53, 13/01/21 »
Did you really tighten it around your waist, or do you mean that you tightened it around your hips? I never bought a Nigor though, I just thought it was too expensive, but I have always liked the Dymeena material.

I'm sure it was inspired by the dyneema Golite Jam with an added 3-sided metal frame.
After removing the loops (whose only purpose was to gather the straps), at full tightness it was right on the borderline:- it may have been enough on the hill but maybe not. I tried it on one 2-day trip and it just wasn't enough. Having used it I couldn't return it.

I advertized it in the Classifieds a while ago but no takers, I'll probably put it up again really cheap - it's just occupying storeroom space at the moment. Same for the Gregory Optic, used once only.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:04:48, 13/01/21 »
Well if you do decide to advertise your Nigor again, depending on the price I might be interested?

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:37:06, 14/01/21 »
@gwf:- I've sent you a PM.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:55:59, 14/01/21 »
I haven't made many mistakes buying gear. Usually I research it well before I buy something. The only things that come to mind at the moment:

1) Sawyer Mini filter - doesn't maintain the flow very well, so I replaced it with the Sawyer Squeeze. That one still works great after ~8 months of filtering several litres of water per day.

2) I bought a sun umbrella for having portable shade when hiking in the desert. It seemed like a good idea. However, shade from an umbrella is not the same as shade from a tree, because when hiking with an umbrella the ground is still hot and much of the heat comes from below. Add to that the disadvantage of not having both hands free (I like to hike with two poles) and the often strong winds in shadeless areas. As a result, the umbrella didn't get much use. Long sleeves, long trousers and a wide-brimmed hat works much better for me.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:21:05, 15/01/21 »
Yes, I agree, I bought an umbrella, tried to use it a couple of time but now it just stays in my car. Due to a skin cancer scare, I had some years ago (a mole removed on my arm) and taking the advice of the Consultant I no longer wear anything with shorts sleeves, not even shorts either.

I've been thinking of buying a new water filter for 2021, I had in mind the Sawyer Mini-filter, recommended awhile ago by a few Forum members but I'll try to evaluate both of them and then decide.

I bought a Sunday AfternoonAdventure sunhat in 2019 and I really like it a lot. I once sunburned my ears and back of my neck, I never want to go through that irritation again.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:28:27, 15/01/21 »
I just want to purchase one item of clothing for 2021, to decide on a new midlayer between my base-layer and my wind jacket and/or my rain jacket. I'm thinking of buying the Patagonia R1 full-zip jacket, does anyone own one? If so are they any good at being a mid-layer?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy