Author Topic: IS NOW THE TIME TO COMPLAIN.............  (Read 2765 times)

Andies

• Veteran Member
Re: IS NOW THE TIME TO COMPLAIN.............
« Reply #15 on: 17:08:05, 04/04/18 »
Depends on what you really mean by complain :-\

The current rules regarding ROW appear to be often ignored by landowners, and ROW Departments are I suspect suffering from under funding, which inhibits there ability to enforce the rules.

I have tried many approaches over the years to try to resolve issues local to me, sometimes successfully, and other times with no effect, and even to the point of just giving up bothering to report anything to the local council for a period of 3 years, despite coming across issues almost every walk. It would often take me longer to report all the missing signposts, waymarkers, and other issues, when I returned from a walk than I actually spent walking, so I stopped bothering :(

Clearly a more generalised access in England would help, but I don't see that happening, which leaves the like of me down in Suffolk with little practical alternative than to use ROW as there is so little open access land. This brings almost constant issues, and this seems to demonstrate (I think?) that there aren't many people walking these ROW who are bothered enough to report the issues. Can I make a difference, well yes I can in a small way, sometimes, but I do feel most of the time that I'm on my own in my area :(

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: IS NOW THE TIME TO COMPLAIN.............
« Reply #16 on: 19:52:55, 04/04/18 »
The way the footpath network we have today was formed, was by people needing to get to a destination. We have parts of old drovers routes, some very ancient ways and old ways to work or church. No one stopped people from doing this except those aristos, who built grand houses and surrounded them with parkland and walls.

It is quite clear from the early OS maps that a substantial number and strategically important parts of that network was left off the network, the 1949 Act intended to create. If anyone can show how those parts could be put to good use today, if they were in place, then I think it is worth while finding a way to complain.

Also now we are unable to create a new way, in the way our ancestors created that part of the network we have today, is that not something we should also grumble about?

I go where I WANT TO GO, I also find good reasons, why others should follow in my footsteps, as I am sure many others here do likewise. Do we create enough routes that stay from the righteous way and do we enjoy it enough to show others where we have been, nice example here?

I do my best to say that Shropshire could benefit from creating an extension of the popular Cheshire Sandstone Trail, if I do it enough perhaps I will leave a legacy of others doing so, to the extent that they might even try to follow in my footsteps and have fun doing it.

Having spent 5 years on a Local Access Forum, I know what it is like to smack my head against a brick wall, but the landowner chair, who chucked me off, is not going to shut me up trying to tell my fellow walkers, "You could have a much better access network if you wanted it".
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy