Author Topic: First Aid Kit (not again!)  (Read 2501 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: First Aid Kit (not again!)
« Reply #15 on: 12:40:36, 30/03/19 »
I have a hiatus hernia, can't repair it, I've just learned to live with it! I know that to avoid suffering (a burning sensation in my lower oesophagus) when I'm trying to get to sleep, I now tend to avoid food after 7 pm, especially curries, pizza and anything that has lots of sugar in it, yoghurt's in particular!

I just bought tablets for my forthcoming April hike and I just bought the Gaviscon type liquid that I use when I'm at home. I buy 500ml of Peptac (over the counter) for £3.51, if I buy Gaviscon its £8.99 for 600 ml! Who ever coined that phrase 'you get what you pay for,' some clever marketing man I'm sure! I can assure anyone who suffers from indigestion type problems that Peptac is no better and no worse than Gaviscon.

When I'm hiking I just use shampoo for everything, personal hygeine, washing clothes and shaving, its just easier. It was interesting to find out that in the 1930s one clever marketing man put on each shampoo bottle 'wash twice' or something similar and made himself and the shampoo industry millions!

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:04:40, 30/03/19 »

A blonde goes into Boots and buys some shampoo, a couple of hours later he/she is back buying more shampoo, and, yet again a couple of hours later.
The shop assistant asked her/him if he/she had read the instructions correctly to which the blonde replied,

"Yes, it says -wash, rinse, repeat"

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:59:10, 31/03/19 »
I have a basic first aid kit, which I keep up to date, plus a few things added to it such as two knee supports which were used during a forum meet when yorksgal slipped on Whernside in the Yorkshire Dales and twisted her knee.

I also added tick remover tool, tweezers for thorns/splinters a freeze spray, used on my knee after descending Yewbarrow!!! Compeed blister plasters and paracetamol. I also carry Aspirin for helping a suspected heart attack and Imodium for the runs.  :)

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:51:47, 31/03/19 »
...Paracetemol came in handy the morning after an unanticipated reunion at the old Kingshouse about a decade ago. Hard to imagine that happening at the new one somehow - but give it time.

Off subject, I know - yes, I drove past the new Kingshouse a few weeks ago - it's a bit of a monster!
https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/branded_news/11D85/production/_98639037_newhotel.jpg

Interestingly, there don't appear to be any pictures of the new building on their own website - perhaps they are ashamed at what they have done!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:48:31, 31/03/19 »
I also carry Aspirin for helping a suspected heart attack and Imodium for the runs.  :)

If you do bear in mind that standard tablets contain 75mg of aspirin and that you therefore need to give 4 tablets to make the recommended dose in that situation of 300mg  O0
Where there's a will ...

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:43:29, 31/03/19 »

If you do bear in mind that standard tablets contain 75mg of aspirin and that you therefore need to give 4 tablets to make the recommended dose in that situation of 300mg  O0

Thanks Jon, yes a good reminder  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy