Author Topic: Good routes for partially sighted people in the Appleby-in-Westmorland area?  (Read 1103 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
I put this here as it's not just the Lake District I'm interested in but anywhere local. I know of the miles without stiles routes - are there anymore routes that cater to people with disabilities, in particular partially sighted people with no depth perception?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 02:17:18, 29/11/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Scordale, Smardale and Crosby Garret come to mind.  There is also a circular to the Rutter Force that may be a possible.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks ninthace O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Smardale immediately sprang to mind - easy walking along the disused railway line.

Other than that - look for commercial forests - plenty of smooth forest roads to follow. Greystoke (Penrith), Whinlatter, Grisedale, Gisburn (near Settle), Hamsterley (NE Pennines), even Kielder, are all within driving distance.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Cheers Richard we are greatful!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Are there any good long beaches in the area? These should be reasonably easy and safe to walk on with impaired vision, as long as you avoid the incoming tides of Morecambe Bay. There is a good long beach at Southport, which was a surprisingly interesting town. Perhaps that is too far away from you?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
What sort of length of walk are you looking for, Rob?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Probably up to 6 miles of relatively easy ground some hilly bits OK (she's losing weight and she's started couch to 5K) but the terrain needs to be free of things like buried tree routes and scrambley rocks as she can't see the depth. Easy paths only best.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy