Author Topic: Sharp Edge  (Read 836 times)

james1

Sharp Edge
« on: 16:34:42, 06/04/19 »
I am going to go on holiday near Blencathra. I really want to climb sharp edge but my parents are too "worried" about it. Would you recommend it for fairly experienced walkers ???

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Sharp Edge
« Reply #1 on: 16:47:02, 06/04/19 »
Are you good with exposure?
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:56:54, 06/04/19 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

It is really to do with how comfortable you are with a bit of hands on rock and exposure. It isn't physically difficult or a problem route finding so walking experience doesn't really count.

I know I'm going to regret asking this when I discover that you are older than I am but. How old are you?
If your parents are going to be leading the walk then they need to be confident that they, and you, will be OK. Sharpe Edge isn't going anywhere, if you don't do it this year there will be other opportunities.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:09:06, 06/04/19 »
Worried about you doing it? Or worried about doing it themselves?

If you are hill-fit, have a reasonably good head for heights, and are used to walking on steep rocky ground you should be ok provided you take your time and think about where you're putting your feet.

The weather also plays a part - avoid rain or mist as the rock can be very slippery when it's wet and don't do it on a windy day.
Skip

Jays

« Reply #4 on: 19:39:12, 10/04/19 »
Totally agree with the damp days.
Went onto sharp edge in March misty and snow on the tops.
Wrong decision, rocks were slick and half way up thought I was a stupid fool to attempt it.
Had the wife’s voice in my head saying we would not do this route today, but as she was with her sister at a spa! This did not reach me until too late.
Did complete the route, in hindsight should not have.
I did put fear into me , which I don’t  usually experience .

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy