Author Topic: Yet another incident on Helvellyn (Or even Scafell)  (Read 10984 times)

kirbstones

Re: Yet another incident on Helvellyn (Or even Scafell)
« Reply #15 on: 11:11:40, 02/06/08 »
Thanks Andy, that clarifies things.

Helvellyn has had a lot more accidents than usual so far this year.  Even taking into account tonyk's point
I wonder how many people were seriously injured on the roads on the same day?
the fact that people are falling off mountains always seems to get the press attention.

I wonder how long it will be before we hear the calls for mandatory insurance and proof of competence before people are allowed on the fells?
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:49:47, 02/06/08 »

I wonder how long it will be before we hear the calls for mandatory insurance and proof of competence before people are allowed on the fells?

Its often come up.To be honest I feel insurance would be a good thing as it costs thousands to get a helicopter out and its the taxpayer who has to pick up the bill.If you walk in the Swiss Alps and require rescue you are billed for it so it makes sense to have insurance cover.To be honest  mountain rescue get called out to assist in all kinds of things,even searching for lost persons on farmland. :o Its members are open to abuse so why not fund it properly and let them bill people for their services? Might also encourage plod to get out of his canteen and do his own searches of farmland. ;D

kirbstones

« Reply #17 on: 12:04:00, 02/06/08 »
Might also encourage plod to get out of his canteen and do his own searches of farmland.

Ouch! Obviously a sore point there!
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy