Author Topic: Walkers lost in Cairngorms.  (Read 3389 times)

Rather be walking

Walkers lost in Cairngorms.
« on: 14:33:01, 24/10/18 »
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: Walkers lost in Cairngorms.
« Reply #1 on: 15:36:38, 24/10/18 »
They started at the ski centre, heading for Macdui, turned around, and ended up at Linn of Dee.  That takes some doing!

I'd be interested to know which app they were using, big difference between say, Viewranger and Google maps.  What do MRT consider as adequate replacements for a (paper) map and compass?
Not all those who wander are lost

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:46:50, 24/10/18 »
.  What do MRT consider as adequate replacements for a (paper) map and compass?

The article would suggest "nothing" battery powered.
I'm quite happy with a GPS ( 16 hours battery) and a spare battery. Leaves the phone battery free for making the phone calls (if you have a signal)
I would not want to rely on a single unit to do everything.

Quote :
Cairngorm's leader Willie Anderson said it was the third recent rescue of walkers lacking a map and compass.

...........Mr Anderson, who was concerned about the walkers' reliance on a battery powered device for navigation...………….,

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:00:50, 24/10/18 »
Yep, I see that now. The Beeb have added that to the report since I read it earlier.

Personally I use either a paper map or a tablet but I have a phone separate to that, I wouldn't rely on a single device.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:17:27, 24/10/18 »
I was more impressed that they got a phone signal out there, I never can. It doesn't matter what kind of map you have, paper or electronic, if you don't know how to use it. Still it's hard to think they could be so far off route without at least suspecting that something was wrong.   

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:34:04, 24/10/18 »
They must have turned around 360 degrees to end up at Linn of Dee. To be fair, a map wouln’t have helped them much, as in those winds, it would have been miles away when they needed it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:51:04, 24/10/18 »
I was more impressed that they got a phone signal out there, I never can. It doesn't matter what kind of map you have, paper or electronic, if you don't know how to use it. Still it's hard to think they could be so far off route without at least suspecting that something was wrong.

O0 O0 O0
Where there's a will ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:55:09, 24/10/18 »
According to the Telegraph they were using Google Maps not ViewRanger.

Strider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 01:11:04, 25/10/18 »
Still it's hard to think they could be so far off route without at least suspecting that something was wrong.

I guess that they got down into either Glen Derry or Glen Luibeg and decided to press on, following the valley on the grounds that it would bring them out somewhere and that would be preferable to going back up onto the plateau.

According to the Telegraph they were using Google Maps not ViewRanger.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Cairngorm/@57.1046261,-3.6607028,12.75z   - Completely inadequate for navigation, even shows Cairn Gorm as being directly east of Macdui....

The MRT have said https://en-gb.facebook.com/cairngormmrt/posts/2161472950531099

Before the the inevitable debate kicks off about preparedness, we just want to say that we don't mind rescuing people, we don't judge and we appreciate that some people don't realise what they are undertaking

It would be useful if Google themselves added a prominent disclaimer to the app "Not Suitable for Hill Navigation"

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:19:38, 25/10/18 »

It would seem perhaps that many novice folks who wish to walk on the higher ground do not look at the several walking websites and the governing body sites to get some valid information on navigation.
I became the user of a smart phone recently and quickly realised how 'short of life' the battery on my device was  when used out of doors....not that I was out without map and compass.  I have the OS app thing, the OS locate, that gives an accurate six figure map reference of your position could be fine to get this information out to the MR folks....if you have phone reception....but not much use for self help in sorting things out if you do not have a map and compass and knowing how to use them.

snoopdawg

« Reply #10 on: 10:13:36, 25/10/18 »
I have personally been approached twice in the last year by persons who have been navigating by phone with google maps only. Both were completely confused as to thier locations and walking in completely the wrong directions,this on good clear calm days when thier actual destinations could be seen or at least the direction to be taken.

photonut

« Reply #11 on: 17:56:12, 31/10/18 »
I have personally been approached twice in the last year by persons who have been navigating by phone with google maps only. Both were completely confused as to thier locations and walking in completely the wrong directions,this on good clear calm days when thier actual destinations could be seen or at least the direction to be taken.

Only twice???   :o  I've lost count

I've even had people passing comment that there are no sign posts to follow!!!   ???

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:30:26, 31/10/18 »
I haven’t been approached recently, but years ago I came across a pair near the summit of Garnedd Ugain while walking the Snowdon Horseshoe. The proceeded to ask if they were on the Pyg Track. It turned out that they had walked up from Llanberis and were ‘navigating’ using a white plastic card which contained an outline of Snowdon and a red line showing the path. They were equipped in trainers, jeans and t shirts - no rucksack, map, compass or waterproofs. They started in sunshine and ended up in a cloud, somehow missing the obelisk at Bwlch Glas and the 100+ scouts in orange waterproofs having their photos taken there. We turned them around and pointed them in the right direction with some advice for future excursions. We didn’t think they would enjoy the descent of Crib Goch.

Earlier in the day at the start of the Crib Goch ascent, we were asked for help by a man who was following a parish boundary on the map and hoping to follow the Pyg Track. He was with his 8 year old son and suffered from vertigo. He didn’t want to retrace his steps and asked if we could help him up the scramble and across the ridge. We politely declined and someone descending the ridge took him back to the car park. This was before the warning signs at Bwlch Y Moch.

roughyed

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 00:50:34, 09/11/18 »
I do wish they would report the actual app being used and not just slate mobile phones. 

Used properly (just like you need to use a map and compass properly) a mobile phone and an app is a perfectly valid navigation tool. 

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:17:45, 09/11/18 »
I became the user of a smart phone recently and quickly realised how 'short of life' the battery on my device was  when used out of doors....not that I was out without map and compass.  I have the OS app thing, the OS locate, that gives an accurate six figure map reference of your position could be fine to get this information out to the MR folks....if you have phone reception....but not much use for self help in sorting things out if you do not have a map and compass and knowing how to use them.

I still prefer navigating by paper map but since becoming a smartphone user the Christmas before last, I seem to be using it more frequently to get a grid reference to pinpoint my position on the map!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy