Author Topic: Whats the attraction of wild camping?  (Read 4733 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Whats the attraction of wild camping?
« on: 10:38:19, 04/06/20 »
Anybody?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: Whats the attraction of wild camping?
« Reply #1 on: 11:10:08, 04/06/20 »
Getting further away from the madding crowd.

Being in the environment rather than just a visitor.

Traveling away from the roads, towns etc.

Getting just a little bit back to how we all used to be.

Just for the fun of it.

To wake up in the mountains.
« Last Edit: 11:22:52, 04/06/20 by Owen »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:13:23, 04/06/20 »
For me, no particular attraction at all, but its FREE!!!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:38:01, 04/06/20 »
I'd add not having to descend from the mountains at the end of each day. (I'm not one who gets enjoyment from camping in fields or on verges, but spending the night in the 'wild' is fun.)
« Last Edit: 16:42:58, 04/06/20 by archaeoroutes »
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:07:20, 04/06/20 »
 Freedom from noisy people on campsites and not having to pay seventy quid a night for a bed in a B&B.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:07:31, 04/06/20 »
The first time I ever wildcamped,  at the end of the day when I was sat outside my tent looking down to people heading for the valley I had this feeling of being alone on the hill sort of saying " yes off you toddle to the valley, the hills are now MINE  :)  )

Then in the morning there was a slug in my cup  ;D

Sevenup

« Reply #6 on: 12:10:54, 04/06/20 »
I walk with a dog so wild camping is a boon. Also fantastic if you are in the middle of the hills and want to go up a few ‘out of the way’ hills. Then there’s the absolute tranquility.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:13:08, 04/06/20 »
It's a sad state of affairs that people are so disconnected from the natural environment that the question needs to be asked  :(

1. Independence and being self sufficient with everything I need in my pack for days (and nothing I don't need). No mental baggage.
2. Seeing the landscape fade in the evening and wake up at dawn, often in the best light of the day, an experience as much felt as seen.
3. In mountainous areas, the only way to intimately know a mountain is to pitch on it and sleep with it.

It amazes me that when planning a multiday walk, so many rigidly restrict their schedules around B&Bs etc. It seems they are terrified of not having toilets, showers and a bed to sleep in - why?. They are not necessary and make you dependent on external factors, it's all encumbering baggage and it can all be jettisoned. You'll feel empowered and far better off without it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:01:36, 04/06/20 »
....2. Seeing the landscape fade in the evening and wake up at dawn, often in the best light of the day, an experience as much felt as seen..........
  The feeling I used to have was to stay warm in my pit and out of the great outdoors for as long as possible   ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:26:38, 04/06/20 »
In addition to Owen's and vghiker's lists - for the sense of adventure.
« Last Edit: 13:30:32, 04/06/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:29:01, 04/06/20 »
..and, once we are allowed, pretty much zero chance of picking up Coronavirus if you are out in the middle of nowhere, rather than in a busy campsite with shared facilities.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:02:31, 04/06/20 »
It's a sad state of affairs that people are so disconnected from the natural environment that the question needs to be asked  :(

1. Independence and being self sufficient with everything I need in my pack for days (and nothing I don't need). No mental baggage.
2. Seeing the landscape fade in the evening and wake up at dawn, often in the best light of the day, an experience as much felt as seen.
3. In mountainous areas, the only way to intimately know a mountain is to pitch on it and sleep with it.

It amazes me that when planning a multiday walk, so many rigidly restrict their schedules around B&Bs etc. It seems they are terrified of not having toilets, showers and a bed to sleep in - why?. They are not necessary and make you dependent on external factors, it's all encumbering baggage and it can all be jettisoned. You'll feel empowered and far better off without it.

I think this is a very valid question.

All things are relative and dependent on circumstances.  What would a Mongolian Nomad make of the question.......

Personalty I have no need to wild camp, where I walk. A can cross the entire moor in a day. I can set off at 9pm and cross it at night.  I see plenty of others camping up there usually youngsters enjoying some thing new, or people visiting the area.  I have been tempted once or twice, but Dartmoor is just not remote enough if I'm honest. May be if I am still fit enough when I retire I will find the time. There are plenty of remote places on this fine planet, it's just finding the time and having the means to get to them.
« Last Edit: 14:08:35, 04/06/20 by BuzyG »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:34:05, 04/06/20 »
...and as a means of gaining access to a mountain that you could not climb in a day from the road head.

There are a few such mountains in Scotland - A'Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor to the east of Torridon spring to mind. Wonderfully remote. Walking in (14 miles) pitching your tent and then tackling the hills the next day offers the complete mountain experience, as far as I am concerned.

Sevenup

« Reply #13 on: 14:56:13, 04/06/20 »
Similarity on the Lairig Ghru. Plenty of big hills to,play about on on either side. Find yourself a nice patch, pitch tent and spend some days meandering. Or between Corrour and Dalwhinnie.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:05:54, 04/06/20 »

I think this is a bit harsh.  I completely agree about the positives of wild camping, but to claim that anyone who asks about it is disconnected from nature seems to me to be highly judgemental. Different people get enjoyment in different ways. (And, by the way, I don't thinks there's much natural about a nylon tent, synthetic down bag, dehydrated food, etc etc.)

I have wild camped in the past, and may return to it, but at present I don't.  In the meantime, I will freely admit to enjoying a shower and a beer at the end of a day's walking, not because I am "terrified" of not having these, but because they are nice things to have. We are all different, and each to their own.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy