Author Topic: Have you ever, when hiking, publically embarrassed yourself?  (Read 1174 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I have, more than once! For example, I was in the pub in Bellingham when hiking the Pennine Way and I ordered an Indian Curry. A rectangular metal tray was bought to my table, at one end of it was a Paratha, the other end was a metal dish of prawn curry and in the middle a perfect mound, a mountain in fact, of plain rice! I was so hungry and it looked so good so I picked up my fork and just TOUCHED  the 'rice mountain' and it immediately COLLAPSED!!! The rice scattered in a 360-degree circle, a lot of it ended up on my lap and in a couple's laps who was sitting on the same table as me. So embarrassing! Everyone in the bar turned to look at me and all of them collapsed in laughter!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Not that I recall.  Others may beg to differ.  I did order half a dozed chocolate truffles for desert once in a small cafe, expecting them to be bite size sweets.  When they arrived they were tennis ball sized. I ate two and discreetly smuggled the remainder into my ruck sack for later.  ;)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
A similar thing happened to me in Dunkirk, France. I'd just finished a hiking trip to Ypres in Belgium so I decided to spend my last night in a hotel. I cam down for breakfast, there was every food imaginable on trays on three large connected tables. I decided to start with muesli because the hotel had a see-through glass vase on the table filled to the brim with Maltesers. All I had to do was press a button at the base of the vase and a measured number of chocolates came out to crown my muesli. I pressed the button, the mechanism just failed and a 'million' Maltesers rolled everywhere! I got the oddest of looks from other diners in the room and I grovelled and apologised when the young waitress came out of the kitchen. It was alright though, the young women spoke English and whispered to me don't worry its happened before.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
My children regard me as an embarrassment.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rigel

My children regard me as an embarrassment.

Do they read this forum?

ninthace

• Veteran Member

Do they read this forum?
Thank god, no, or it would be worse.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rigel

I think it's pretty standard for children to be embarrassed of their parents, especially when teens. I wouldn't worry about it, Ninthace. I doubt it will always be like that.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I think it's pretty standard for children to be embarrassed of their parents, especially when teens. I wouldn't worry about it, Ninthace. I doubt it will always be like that.
One turns 40 this year and the other 35.  When does it stop?
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
There can't be one walking pole user on here who hasn't on at least one occasion placed a pole on the ground in the way of a boot, which is followed by a quick canter to regain one's balance. And how many of us have turned around with a rucksack on our back and nearly knocked some innocent bystander off their feet?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Not just me then, oh good!
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My other embarrassing moment was on the Pennie Way on my way from Middleton in Teesdale going south, I had to climb up and get through one of those stiles with the little sprung door/gate on the top. It was a wet afternoon and as I tried to get through the door/gate, I slipped on the wood and fell down the stile steps, rucksack still on my back and hanging upside down because the door/gate had sprung closed, and my foot and ankle were trapped! It could have been very nasty and I realised I could have broken my leg or something worse but I was lucky. A group of four (two young men, two young women) was already coming towards me, they saw me fall and then rushed up to rescue me. It wasn't easy, I was almost helpless, they had to lift me up a bit, get my rucksack off, get my boot and ankle free of the door/gate and then lower me to the ground. If hadn't have been there I have no idea what would have happened, I could have been there for a long time? The main embarrassment was having a couple of young women breathing on me saying to this old man, "Are you alright?" Looking back it was a bit of a Monthy Python moment, "Of course I'm not alright, I'm upside down!" My leg, ankle, and hip was painful for days after that. I learned my lesson though, be careful where you place your feet!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Had the "screaming squitters" * on the Gran Paradiso glacier once - felt so rubbish that I was beyond embarrassment.

(* father-in-law's expression)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Are teenaged parents more embarrassing in reality, or does it just seem so to their kids?

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
There can't be one walking pole user on here who hasn't on at least one occasion placed a pole on the ground in the way of a boot, which is followed by a quick canter to regain one's balance. And how many of us have turned around with a rucksack on our back and nearly knocked some innocent bystander off their feet?
I am guilty of both. I have also fallen flat on my face after tripping over my poles. It took me a while to get my arms synchronised with my feet. It doesn’t matter much without poles, but it certainly does matter when using poles.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Mrs N and I invented social distancing year ago, ever since I started using poles.  I am especially lethal on stiles apparently.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy