Author Topic: Exercising Etiquette  (Read 2223 times)

Z3man

Re: Exercising Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: 15:56:00, 26/04/20 »
I live in Billingham near Middlesbrough in the North East, and i have found everyone to be very considerate.

In fact i have barely had to move out of the way for anyone because they have moved out the way long before i have even got close to them, probably because i walk quite fast. I always say thank you, everyone says the same back, all very polite.

I have been pleasantly surprise just how well people are adhering to the rules and how polite everyone is considering all my walking is in the country side just on the outskirts of town and they aren't proper walkers i am passing, just townies trying to keep fit.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Exercising Etiquette
« Reply #31 on: 16:01:40, 26/04/20 »
That isn’t journalism, but just an article on a shop’s website.

What I object to is the constant attempts by journalists to create a row or presume failure, which is then followed by talking over the respondent when the answer doesn’t match the journalist’s preconceived view. It was clear today with Andrew Marr and with the Scottish presenter of the following program. I have seen it on the Scottish briefings and the UK briefings, hectoring journalists and experts. They try to hide behind holding the government to account, but are clearly doing their normal trick of twisting words and setting traps. I don’t have much time for politicians, but I now hold them mostly in higher regard than journalists. I am definitely not a Nicola Sturgeon fan, but she has performed admirably in the face of journalists trying to drive a wedge between Scotland and the UK government. In her position I would be nowhere as polite as she has been. Jenny Harries (UK deputy CMO) has been brilliant in dealing with the questions.

It wouldn’t be so bad if journalists listened to the previous questions and didn’t keep repeating the same things, or looking for promises for areas where no promises can be made.
I used to assist in a course in which we prepared service personnel to face the media.  In particular, I would do the studio interview in which I played the Paxman/Marr role.  Great fun digging heffalump traps for them to fall into and then showing the ways to avoid them and how to get their own message across.  They used to think we were grossly unfair but we were nowhere near as bad as real journos.  It is amusing to hear politicians today still using the same "get out of jail" phrases we taught the students years ago.
On a later tour, I was part of team running extended war games.  As part of the process the students were interviewed by real journalists and citizen journalism was included, using footage edited to look like clips from mobile phones.  Each day included a professional looking "news broadcast" in which the progress of the "war" was presented with edited versions of the interviews.
I am not sure the students enjoyed it but they learned a lot from the experience, not only how to deal with the media but also how to use them to advantage.
For our part as staff, we learned a lot from the reporters too, mostly in the bar of an evening.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy