Author Topic: Walking the Pembrokeshire Coast Path (virtually)  (Read 6041 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking the Pembrokeshire Coast Path (virtually)
« Reply #30 on: 20:47:57, 15/04/20 »
Just been catching up on your latest virtual LDW.  I'm enjoying walking it too.... from the comfort of my settee  :D   I've even had snacks and a drink to make the "armchair amble" more authentic  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 08:05:17, 16/04/20 »
I have to agree with you Mel most enjoyable from the couch.  The very thought of a treadmill is enough to get me out gardening. ;D

Great thread.  O0

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 15:15:12, 16/04/20 »
Day 7 of my treadmill travels along the Pembrokeshire Coast Path saw me reach the halfway stage: I did nearly 15 miles today, taking the total thus far to 94 miles. Only another week to go!  :)

I set off from Nolton Haven and got as far as Martin's Haven opposite Skomer Island. On the way, I passed through Broad Haven, Little Haven and various other minor Havens, and tomorrow I'll be heading towards Milford Haven. With a coastline like this, it's no surprise that 'haven' means 'harbour' or 'inlet'.

Broad Haven is typical of the small holiday towns and villages along this coast - a sheltered sandy beach, a few houses and lots of caravans and mobile homes...

...while Little Haven was much quieter and quainter:

This is a rugged stretch of coast near St Brides (of course the entire coast is rugged, but it's not often the path gets down to the sea). In the distance is St Brides Castle, once a stately home but now converted into apartments.

Looking across to Skomer Island from Wooltack Point. Apparently, the island is Pembrokeshire's largest and is a nature reserve known for its seals, puffins and many other species of seabirds:

I haven't plotted tomorrow's route yet, but I'm hoping to get as far as Sandy Haven, by way of St Ann's Head.  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 16:59:22, 16/04/20 »
Hope you have a couple of tins on hand should you need to do a virtual stop at a pub.  O0 

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 13:43:01, 17/04/20 »
You’re now walking bits that we haven’t been to. I recall the area around Solva and I think that’s as far south as we walked.  As you get further south isn’t it more industrial?

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 14:34:53, 17/04/20 »
You’re now walking bits that we haven’t been to. I recall the area around Solva and I think that’s as far south as we walked.  As you get further south isn’t it more industrial?

I passed Solva a couple of days ago. I've since gone about 30 miles south and I've not seen anything remotely industrial - it's almost entirely farmland to my left and the sea to my right!  :)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 15:38:42, 17/04/20 »
Day 8 of my virtual hike along the Pembrokeshire Coast Path took me from Martin's Haven (by Skomer), around St Ann's Head and along the north coast of Milford Haven to a spot south of St Ishmaels. I've now completed 107 miles of the trail, which leaves about 80 miles to go  and I must stress that it's only the imagery that's virtual - the miles are very real indeed!  :)

The scenery for the first 6 or so miles today was not unlike that of the previous 100 miles: an undulating clifftop path with rugged coast on my right, grazing land on my left with occasional views of wonderful bays and beaches. But I've posted images of all that before, so I'll just focus on the novel parts of today's section...

St Ann's Head overlooks the northern side of the entrance to Milford Haven and boasts two lighthouses. As I approached the first, I thought it might be a windmill in an unusual spot, but it turned out to be a converted lighthouse with an observation platform on top, and I think the entire building is now holiday accommodation.

The working lighthouse is tucked back in a private area behind some cottages and this is as close as I could get:

The footpath crossed a field with bullocks in (only my second cattle encounter so far) and typically, with all that available field to stand in, two stood their ground on the path. I bravely walked right between them...

St Ann's Head felt a bit like an island and that feeling was strengthened by the need to use a causeway to get back to the 'mainland'. I love the causeway's name: Pickleridge.

Interestingly, my OS map seems a little confused here. It shows the PCP heading north up a B-road instead of going east across Pickleridge, but that doesn't make sense - unless the causeway isn't passable at high tide and the road is an optional detour?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 15:47:56, 17/04/20 »
My map shows both routes.  The Pickleridge may be unusable in bad weather or High Water Springs
« Last Edit: 15:54:49, 17/04/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 17:37:57, 17/04/20 »
The path crossing over the stream at the north end of the ridge by the Gann is not passable at high tide.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 17:39:26, 17/04/20 »
I think it was Milton Haven I was thinking of, there’s an oil refinery there.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 18:01:48, 17/04/20 »
I think it was Milton Haven I was thinking of, there’s an oil refinery there.
Indeed there is, and it looks like quite an industrial area. I've just been plotting the next section and it goes right through Milford Haven. Following the Coast Path is far more difficult here than anywhere else I've been!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 18:18:53, 17/04/20 »
I've just enjoyed catching up on your last couple of days "on the PCP" with my "flask" of tea  :D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 00:23:46, 18/04/20 »
Indeed there is, and it looks like quite an industrial area. I've just been plotting the next section and it goes right through Milford Haven. Following the Coast Path is far more difficult here than anywhere else I've been!

Industrial but not so ugly as I expected and lots of things to see - the overhead walkways across the pipelines could be interesting on a bike ;-)

Stop off at the Flying Boat Museum in Pembroke Dock if you have time - fascinating history.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 12:10:08, 18/04/20 »
I've just caught up too  :) Crikey you were brave with them bullocks  ;)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 13:41:16, 18/04/20 »
From the reader's point of view, almost seems as if you are doing the walk for real!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy