Author Topic: Any hiking regrets?  (Read 2236 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Any hiking regrets?
« on: 21:44:29, 14/04/20 »
I have a few but my main one was in 2015 when walking the GR10 in the Pyrenees. I hiked into to Cauterets and then chose to walk the 'GR10 variant' (the short route) to Luz St Sauveur. I should have hiked the 7 day 'U' loop to Gavarnie and then to Luz St. Sauveur, but I was weary and I stupidly persuaded myself otherwise. I've regretted my decision ever since.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Any hiking regrets?
« Reply #1 on: 21:55:30, 14/04/20 »
Life is far too short & precious to have regrets GWM. What’s happening in the world now should show you that.

If you felt weary & that led you to make the decision to do the shorter route, then it was most likely the right decision.
It’s simply about ‘acceptance’.
Accept the decision you made at the time & why you made it....& then move on. :)

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:01:10, 14/04/20 »
Leaving my map and compass on the ground after a short break while up an 1800m peak in Provence and being too pig-headed to go back for them when I realised 30 minutes later.

Despite being able to see the road I needed to get to I was unable to find a decent path to it, I ended up fighting my way through several hundred yards of extremely thorny bushes.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:02:19, 14/04/20 »
Here's a taster GWM
Solvitur Ambulando

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:05:12, 14/04/20 »
I don’t  have any hiking regrets that come to mind. I have been disappointed at times,  for instance having to turn back within sight of the top of Scafell Pike due to snow and running a bit late but not a regret ‘cos I went back and did it later and it was the sensible thing to do at the time.
GWM you could still go to Gavarnie on a shorter trip, it certainly is worth a trip, I have been there 3 times.
It's all uphill from here.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:05:21, 14/04/20 »
I turned back near the summit of Herbetet due to terrible snow conditions, a beautiful peak in the Italian Alps, which I regretted for some time - but not now: who is to say what would have happened if we had carried on?

And there is just no point - regret is a negative emotion, better to learn from it and look froward.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:28:40, 14/04/20 »
I have turned back in blizzards conditions in the hills a few times. While it was frustrating at the time, I lived to walk another day.

I do regret not completing the Welsh 3000s when I attempted them many years ago. My companion and I were well supported by a late friend and neighbour. I was planning to attempt them again in 2019 or 2020 with a small group, to complete unfinished business and in memory of my old friend Keith. Unfortunately, flare ups of old back and Achilles injuries stopped me hiking for over 18 months and ruined my campaign to get fit enough for the attempt. At least I am back walking again, if only 5 to 8 miles on the flat - it’s a start. The worst part of this was the sudden death of my friend and colleague who was going to join me on my attempt. He was the fittest person I know, cycling 20 miles each way to work and back, and running long distances in the hills (and occasionally on the flat). He has run from Braemar to Aviemore via the Lairig Ghru and thought nothing of a 50+ mile cross country run or cycling the NC500. He was feeling a bit under the weather when I last saw him a couple of weeks before Christmas and dead by the first weekend of 2020 in his early 50s. RIP Kenny.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:41:59, 14/04/20 »
Life is far too short & precious to have regrets GWM. What’s happening in the world now should show you that.

If you felt weary & that led you to make the decision to do the shorter route, then it was most likely the right decision.
It’s simply about ‘acceptance’.
Accept the decision you made at the time & why you made it....& then move on. :)

100%

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 06:48:55, 15/04/20 »
The day I took it up.
Life now just gets in the way.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:01:23, 15/04/20 »
...The worst part of this was the sudden death of my friend and colleague who was going to join me on my attempt. He was the fittest person I know, cycling 20 miles each way to work and back, and running long distances in the hills (and occasionally on the flat). He has run from Braemar to Aviemore via the Lairig Ghru and thought nothing of a 50+ mile cross country run or cycling the NC500. He was feeling a bit under the weather when I last saw him a couple of weeks before Christmas and dead by the first weekend of 2020 in his early 50s. RIP Kenny.

Terrible that someone can be struck down so suddenly, Mike.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:26:58, 15/04/20 »
Regrets? Only the time let slip by and walks left undone

(now singing Joan Baez 'lesson too late for the learning' lyric)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:55:33, 15/04/20 »
I have had a few, but then again, too few to mention
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:56:15, 15/04/20 »

:( :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:01:45, 15/04/20 »

Now I can't stop thinking about the great Sid Vicious version  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:29:17, 15/04/20 »
Life is too short for regrets. Sometime you miss a goal, there is always a reason why. Take each for what it is, accept that and set new goals.  O0

So to answer the OP no.  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy