Author Topic: Query - Helvellyn from the Youth Hostel  (Read 1821 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Re: Query - Helvellyn from the Youth Hostel
« Reply #15 on: 15:04:22, 18/08/18 »
A brief update before I sort out a proper Trip report. We went to Red Tarn and then up to and along Striding Edge, though we made liberal use of the by-pass path after both my sons said, "Are you joking?" when I suggested following the ridge line. My eldest pointed out it was the drop, not the scrambling, that was the problem. If anyone has suggestions for interesting scrambles with less exposure, anywhere in the UK, do let me know.

Having said I would only do it in good conditions, we went up on the promise of clouds lifting/weather improving and got quite the opposite :( . The boys did do the bad step, though there was a very hairy moment where my youngest was hanging on by one hand and the pressure of his body on the rocks. Scary, but I managed to manoeuvre round the top and grab his other hand so he could sort his other limbs out.

Visibility was very poor and it started tipping it down while we were on the summit so we decided Swirral Edge would be a very bad idea. Instead we went over White Side and down the Keppel Cove zig zags to return to the hostel.

A challenging outing all in all. I think I'd like to try again on my own (or with other adults rather than children I'm responsible for!) on a sunny day and try Swirral too. I also think I can rule out the CMD route for Ben Nevis if either of my sons is with me.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy