Author Topic: map ownership  (Read 6052 times)

geordie33

• Veteran Member
Re: map ownership
« Reply #45 on: 08:16:22, 21/10/18 »
I synchronise my VR tracks onto my pc using myviewranger.com.You can then save gpx files to your device or a hard drive.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 09:42:48, 21/10/18 »

I have my VR purchased map tiles saved on an SD mini disk external storage device type thingumybob which currently lives in my dedicated GPS phone.  To access those maps I have to open the VR app and go in that way as I've told VR to "look" at my SD disk for the maps.

However, as per screenshot below, if I try to access the maps without VR, I can't open them - even though I have bought them and therefore "own" them.  I can put my little SD card into whatever device I want, whenever I want, but without VR my purchased maps are useless.

So it all seems to hinge on ViewRanger remaining "active" both as a company and as an app.

:-\

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 10:00:45, 21/10/18 »
Even if VR as a company went bust the app would still work so you should be fine!
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 10:26:36, 21/10/18 »
Aye, I know that but, if VR as a company went bust and I broke my phone and had to buy a new one, would I still be able to download the VR app onto my new phone?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 10:32:41, 21/10/18 »
Aye, I know that but, if VR as a company went bust and I broke my phone and had to buy a new one, would I still be able to download the VR app onto my new phone?

Sort of, there are other websites that offer the ViewRanger app for download but you wouldn't be able to download any maps so it would be kind of pointless. You might be able to save the maps you've downloaded to your phone already by saving the ViewRanger data directory but you'd have to do that yourself before you broke your phone and I'm only guessing that might work, I don't know if the app saves any necessary data outside it's data directory. Can anyone confirm?

Oh and I'm talking about Android here. I don't know how apps store their data on iOS.
« Last Edit: 10:43:23, 21/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 10:51:53, 21/10/18 »
But if VR went bust then the other websites wouldn't be able to offer the app.

I already have my purchased VR map tiles downloaded externally onto an SD disk which I can move from phone to phone but I NEED the ViewRanger app on those devices to be able to view them.  They won't open with (for example) the Map My Walk app or my friend's Garmin GPS.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 11:19:51, 21/10/18 »
But if VR went bust then the other websites wouldn't be able to offer the app.

Sure they would, it's just an APK file (on Android). You can save it to your SD card with your map tiles. Google "ViewRanger apk" or here is a link (untested). Scroll down to where it says "Download server mirrors:" and click one of the links. To be safer you could download the APK file from the app store and save it with your PC or save it from your phone but you'd have to follow instructions on the web to do that and the APK file I linked is probably fine, I just haven't tested it.

When you want to install it just open it with your file manager if you saved it to your SD card (most phones come with one, if yours didn't download "ES File Explorer" from the app store. You might need to enable installing 3rd party apps, if it complains about installing apps from unknown sources google "install 3rd party apps android" or if the page still exists when you need it follow the instructions here. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 13:34:23, 21/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 12:50:07, 21/10/18 »
Sorry I tried to link directly to the APK download page as the link above was cluttered with adverts but it didn't work so I've changed the link and specified where you can find the download link.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 00:27:53, 22/10/18 »
Ahhh, that's interesting.  I've not clicked on your link but I did google "APK file" and understand what it is now.  It's good to know I could install VR on a new phone (and therefore still access my maps) if the company went bust.  Cheers  O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 11:44:45, 22/10/18 »
I really don't think the possibility of ViewRanger or its ilk ceasing to operate is much of an issue.  There are so many other options if it happens.

The underlying issue is the strategy of using stored mapping in the first place, whether it be protected by proprietary software or no.  Like paper maps, digital maps are out of date even before you buy them and get more so as time goes on.  This may not be too much of an issue in more remote country where the only thing likely to happen is a new access track for the shooting fraternity or the felling of a forest that you intended to walk through (both have happened to me).  However, in more populated areas, roads and houses get built, paths - both official and unofficial, get closed, moved or diverted. woods disappear and so on.  The greater problem I suggest therefore, is access to current data to work out where to walk.
This is more sussamb's territory than mine but as I understand it OSM mapping is updated by its users so it probably provides the most current data and shows paths that people actually use whether they are on the OS map or not.  Moreover, they are freely available to anyone at anytime so do not need to be stored. While OSM maps are perfectly OK for navigating, they lack the richness of information of OS maps.  However, the OS attach higher priority to certain classes of information than others so while the road network may be fairly up to date, the underlying information can be years old.  If you use the OS mapping app, you will at least have access to the latest version of their map rather than the version available from the product you are using.  The OS app allows maps to be downloaded for offline use but once they are used they can be deleted until needed again.  ViewRanger has a similar option for using their own maps offline but you have to pay for premium mapping such as OS so you are unlikely to delete it.
So what to do?  Personally I use the OS mapping site to devise a route - it has a standard map, an aerial view and the OS leisure map.  I refine that route by looking at open sources such as GoogleEarh or OSM.  As a Garmin user,  I still have to fall back on map tiles when I am out and about and I use OS mapping because I prefer it.  However, I do not treat the map as gospel, instead I follow the route I  have prepared, even if the OS map says there is nothing there.  I usually have to same route on ViewRanger and the OS mapping app with the associated OS or VR map stored.  When I am done I outload the trace and delete the phone maps.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 13:01:20, 22/10/18 »
Actually  VR also offer subscription annually to the most up to date OS maps which is what I now use. I no longer get buy "my own, ha" tiles which are also updated regularly from the most up to date OS files, which is why they attracted me in the first place.
Mel you understand my query.   I thought I was the only slow walker who had esoteric problems with digital data purchases.
Robgoeswalking you have solved the problem for me in all regards. I can now keep a copy of the current app ready to load into any device so that I can use my downloaded maps offline in the event if companies and devices going awol.

The maps then become truly like my paper maps, fixed in time but mine to use.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 13:18:22, 22/10/18 »
Robgoeswalking you have solved the problem for me in all regards. I can now keep a copy of the current app ready to load into any device so that I can use my downloaded maps offline in the event if companies and devices going awol.

The maps then become truly like my paper maps, fixed in time but mine to use.

I hope so, but maybe not, you also said:

Actually  VR also offer subscription annually to the most up to date OS maps which is what I now use. I no longer get buy "my own, ha" tiles which are also updated regularly from the most up to date OS files, which is why they attracted me in the first place.

It's possible the subscription is time limited by the ViewRanger app in that after your subscription runs out your downloaded tiles no longer work. I don't know how the ViewRanger app enforces the subscription; you could e-mail them and ask them if the tiles stop working after the subscription expires and if this would still happen should they go bust and their servers shut down.

The tiles you paid for should still be good to go though.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 13:30:55, 22/10/18 »
You wouldn't have access to the Ordnance Survey mapping once your subscription ends. You would still have access to the map tiles previously purchased and access to open street mapping.

Having said that, I'm not sure how Bing Maps gets round all the licencing and copyright for their free access to ordnance survey maps!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 13:41:04, 22/10/18 »
As I said in a previous mail I recently decided to go down the subscription route so that if a platform dissappears or a better platform becomes available I can stop one subscription  at a time of my choosing (maybe) and subscribe within another platform.I have decided for better or for worse to go down the rental route. So not bothered about time limits or any other limits.

Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 23:41:57, 22/10/18 »
Having a paper version, of any map, still matters to me.  I enjoy collecting them for one thing.  I don't carry them I carry laminated A4 prints grabbed from Bing maps.  And OSmaps on my phone.  They are just nice things to have to me.  In the same way as I have copies of the Times word atlas and others.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy