Author Topic: Trail Angels  (Read 2098 times)

Florence Lamb

Re: Trail Angels
« Reply #30 on: 18:21:39, 15/08/19 »
At no time did I refer to MR being part of the nanny state, nor would I consider that they are.  My reference to nanny state was purely about people handing out water etc. when my idea of getting away from it all is precisely that.....misinterpretation is easy I guess in typed text....

JerryW

« Reply #31 on: 21:50:47, 15/08/19 »
I am not a great one for trail magic, it works better on long, social trails like the AT than most of our own trails, including the Pennine Way. It is quite easy (I guess!) to walk the PW and visit two pubs a day. Having said that I have appreciated gifts of water on several occasions (even a beer, once or twice!) and have several times seen taps set up specifically for walkers or on bridleways, for animals too.
But I will NOT hear a word said against MRTs. Their whole approach and attitude is a million miles from official emergency services, whilst being just as professional. I have only ever once had to call on their services, in the Ogwen Valley, and they were brilliant. They are volunteers, but they are well funded and there is a reason for that: they are much appreciated. Yes they have to deal with sillies and careless people but I don't think anyone goes into the mountains with the deliberate intention of needing them.. have a look at the Oggies incident list.. only 72 incidents and two fatalities this year so far, relatively quiet.
https://ogwen-rescue.org.uk/incident-details/
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

astaman

« Reply #32 on: 06:48:39, 16/08/19 »
At no time did I refer to MR being part of the nanny state, nor would I consider that they are.  My reference to nanny state was purely about people handing out water etc. when my idea of getting away from it all is precisely that.....misinterpretation is easy I guess in typed text....

People handing out water or any other help as private individuals, whether you approve of them or not, have no relationship to the state. The idea of the nanny state is based on the politically right wing notion that using the state to aid someone when they are in need makes them weaker and less self reliant. It is part of a broader attack on welfare state institutions like the NHS and those emergency services that are state funded. Even if you believe the theory it has no relevance to the discussion of trail magic and trail angels who live on the informal fringes of the voluntary sector. Precisely the kind of charitable activity that the ideologues who use the 'nanny state' argument think should replace state welfare provision.

Florence Lamb

« Reply #33 on: 08:40:08, 16/08/19 »
As I said,  misinterpretation is easy in typed text as opposed to discussion - the reference to "nanny state" wasn't intended to refer to the state or state instructons and was merely a phrase I used.  As I said my original comment was that I personally feel that getting away from it all, is precisely that, getting away from it all and that I enjoyed the challenge of being self sufficient without the need for people to be handing out water.   

JerryW

« Reply #34 on: 09:15:55, 16/08/19 »
I understand where you are coming from, Florence .. but I doubt if anyone relies on such offers becoming available, in which case they are surely just an optional thing, like any other water source. Accept or ignore, no worries. A pop-up burger bar half way across Sleightholme might be a different matter, I suppose ..

I remember the first time I walked the Pennine Way, someone told me that when I got to the A57 (the snake pass) there would be an ice cream van in a layby where the PW crosses. It was a very hot day, and by the time I got there I had decided what flavour, size and colour I wanted .. I could actually taste it .. and of course, there was no van. I've tried never to rely on any single shop, pub or water source, since...
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 10:23:01, 16/08/19 »
I reckon the burger van by the Ribblehead Viaduct must be a welcome sight for people doing the Yorkshire Three Peaks.
Solvitur Ambulando

Florence Lamb

« Reply #36 on: 13:01:19, 16/08/19 »
I guess it is a welcome sight but it is a business and I’d put that in same category as a pub/cafe. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy