Author Topic: Passing on Knowledge  (Read 636 times)

Matt010791

Passing on Knowledge
« on: 18:45:17, 06/09/19 »
So i attempted to arrange a meet on the peak district page but it failed miserably ;D  I'm 28 and just got into walking, my fitness levels are fine but i want to step my knowledge up so i was wondering if anyone knows of any groups or would mind me tagging along to peoples walks and learning off people who are experienced and knowledgable. With a young family at home it is nice to just get out into the fresh air but it would be good to meet new people and learn from them.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Passing on Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: 19:13:09, 06/09/19 »
The Rambler's would welcome you with open arms.  It's been interesting over the past few years getting to know the group I walk with.  One aspect of interest is that many of them where youngsters when the group was formed.   The general profile of the ramblers is of old fuddy duddies plodding along, looking for the next cream tea.  Rest assured if you can find th right group, there is a very rich mix of age and ability out there.

I stated by looking on their website and picking walks I liked the look of, in my area.  They are very happy for people to do a few walks without even joining.

I still walk far more on my own, but When I do walk with the group.  You can be sure I will learn a little more about the hills and the people who enjoy them every time.

https://www.ramblers.org.uk/go-walking.aspx

Take a look...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:20:01, 06/09/19 »
I don't know what the ingredients are to arrange a successful meet? Is it to do with the time of year, who the originator is, location, maybe its to do with luck, what's happening in people lives at the time and so on? Sorry, but I have no real idea. All I know is I've been on three, all originated by someone else and have enjoyed them all.

At a personal level I ended up with a lot of personal responsibilities to fulfill this summer and I would have been out of the loop anyway, in the last week I have driven from Portsmouth to Edinburgh twice and at the moment I do not want to look at the M27, A34, M42 and M6 for some time! I just need the memory of it to fade before I ever attempt that journey again! For those people who drive along these roads, day in day out to and from work, breathing in God knows what, I really feel for them!

I hope one is organised again, I'll just keep my eyes open and cross my fingers!

Matt010791

« Reply #3 on: 20:35:17, 06/09/19 »
The Rambler's would welcome you with open arms.  It's been interesting over the past few years getting to know the group I walk with.  One aspect of interest is that many of them where youngsters when the group was formed.   The general profile of the ramblers is of old fuddy duddies plodding along, looking for the next cream tea.  Rest assured if you can find th right group, there is a very rich mix of age and ability out there.

I stated by looking on their website and picking walks I liked the look of, in my area.  They are very happy for people to do a few walks without even joining.

I still walk far more on my own, but When I do walk with the group.  You can be sure I will learn a little more about the hills and the people who enjoy them every time.

https://www.ramblers.org.uk/go-walking.aspx

Take a look...

Great stuff Thankyou that, it’s just what I’ve been looking for tbh

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy