Author Topic: Andalucia 2008  (Read 3856 times)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Andalucia 2008
« on: 23:06:40, 14/11/08 »
I know its not in the UK, but I had a lovely week in Andalucia earlier this year. BUT... and this is a big but, I got lost one day and had to be walked down off a mountain after I got benighted. A very embarassing episode for me, but a harsh lesson learnt and one I can share with you all...don't be too harsh! You will have to trawl through a few pages before you get to the La Maroma story

http://www.ramblingpete.walkingplaces.co.uk/and1.htm

muymalestado

Re: Andalucia 2008
« Reply #1 on: 23:28:09, 15/11/08 »
What a story!  Well told, as well.  Possibly one can be clear and concise after the fact but the sense of potential danger is there. 

The landscape is beautiful to walk but is hard and dangerous if a mistake is made; not so bad if one stays mostly where softies would go.

Thanks for the bookshop link.
I think this next one will be the top ...

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:31:17, 16/11/08 »
Thanks Muymalestado - I wrote the story in a notebook when I was coming back on the plane. I relived every minute of the day in my minds eye, and I hope thats the last time I ever make such a mistake! But it was a fantastic place to walk.

I bought another book that has some wonderful walks in - I'll definitely go back to walk some of them -

'Walking in Andalucia' by Guy Hunter-Watts

muymalestado

« Reply #3 on: 16:41:23, 16/11/08 »
RP, be aware Hunter-Watts aims at the leisure end of the spectrum, nothing hairy IMHO.  He introduced us to the Aracena Alps which were a wonderful, easy 10 days; some long walks extending his routing, but no danger.
I think this next one will be the top ...

suek

« Reply #4 on: 17:08:26, 06/12/08 »
Hi RP,
Another book you might find useful is Walk! Axarquia by Charles Davis. As the title suggests it concentrates on walks in the Axarquia region in the sierra and on the coast. It contains a selection of walks around Maroma. If you haven't tried it Lucera is worth a trip and the walk to Puerto Blanquillo. Base yourself around Competa. I have attached a photo - we have some photos on our web site if you are interested - not sure if I can mention the address
Suek
suek
www.walkaxarquia.com [nofollow]

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:42:10, 06/12/08 »
Thanks Sue - I will look out for it. I'm sure you can include your address in your signature - I think that I am the same as many on this site and really enjoy looking at walking webpages and blogs - the more the merrier, especially this time of year. I look forward to seeing your pics.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:23:49, 06/12/08 »
Yes, go for it, Sue - we're not shy about mentioning our blogs and websites on here....  (see below!)

I like to see other peeps' blogs too. Gives me something to do on the dark nights...

(A couple of Spanish hits on mine recently by the way, so maybe you've already had a look....?)
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

ebrorob

« Reply #7 on: 10:45:39, 07/12/08 »
The main thing I have had to come to terms with in my local spanish mountains is the lack of reliable signing. Gladly they are not oversigned which would obviously detract from their wildness. However you can't always rely on the signs that are there.  Of course we are always equipped with maps and compass to navigate out of any tricky occasions and fortunately being Mediterranean mountains we do not have to worry about quickly incoming bad weather which always needs to be a main priority when walking in the UK mountains.
My main point is therefore just because we may be walking in sunshine most of the time, it does not mean you can take your walking environment for granted as the mountains can be just as hostile as in the UK if you get lost.
ebrorob

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy