Author Topic: Trying to lighten my load!  (Read 5012 times)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
Re: Trying to lighten my load!
« Reply #15 on: 22:37:09, 03/03/19 »

Although body weight has been discussed in previous posts, I completely fail to see any link between this and pack weight, and I hope people will be kind enough to enlighten me, preferably backed up with some hard facts.

No scientific evidence, but my thinking is ………..

Your legs are carrying the total weight of your body and the weight of your pack.

Lets take a body weight of 200lbs and a pack weight of 30lbs. Your legs are carrying 230lbs.

Lose 10lbs of body weight and your legs are carrying 190 + 30, so only 220lbs.

It is far easier to lose 10lbs of body weight than it would be to lose 10lbs out of a 30lb pack weight, and your legs will feel the difference -
I lost 70lbs body weight, carrying a 30lb pack still means that my muscles, legs, heart are being subject to much less stress (40lbs less weight)

Its interesting looking at my walking log shows that in early 2015 I would walk 1.25 miles at 3.0mph and stop for a drink of water and a few minutes 'break'.
I now walk 10 miles without stopping and average between 3.5 & 3.7mph depending on terrain type.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:39:21, 03/03/19 »
Although body weight has been discussed in previous posts, I completely fail to see any link between this and pack weight, and I hope people will be kind enough to enlighten me, preferably backed up with some hard facts.

You're right, there's no link, just that I find it easier to lose weight from my body rather than my pack, and at the end of the day it's the overall weight your legs have to support and your body needs to propel  O0
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:51:40, 03/03/19 »

It's all weight that your knees have to support, fernman - it's as simple as that.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 23:04:29, 03/03/19 »
However you still need muscle to carry the body and the rucksack,  losing weight rapidly the wrong way can lead to loss within the largest muscles which also happen to be in the legs.
I am a great believer  in carrying as light a pack as possible. I now never carry anything "just in case". After reading years of advice in this and other like forums whenever a bit of kit comes up for renewal  I get lighter stuff.  Or I get it made/adapted to both suit me better and be lighter.
« Last Edit: 08:47:47, 04/03/19 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 23:16:04, 03/03/19 »

It's all weight that your knees have to support, fernman - it's as simple as that.

That's exactly what it is.  I'm a big guy. Never been particularly fat but I was 111 kgs when I came back to walking.  Since then over 4 years I have gradualy droped down to 98 kgs. Doubt I can bin much more but that's still more than my pack weighs and I now find it way easier on steep ground as a result. 

Sure if could knock a few pounds out of the pack ,it would be nice.  But I could just as easily switch my boots wool socks and gaiters for a pair of cotton socks and trail shoes.  Thing is my boots are comfy and for me trail shoes are not.  So the lost weight is not worth the compromise.
« Last Edit: 23:19:12, 03/03/19 by BuzyG »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 07:10:37, 04/03/19 »
However you still need muscle to carry the body and the rucksack,  losing weight rapidly the wrong way can lead to loss within the largest muscles which also happen to be in the legs.

I'm not advocating any rapid weight loss, particularly just before putting your body under the prolonged stress of a multi day walk!

..and in my original post, I did specifically mention my belly - not much in the way of muscle there, sadly  :D 
« Last Edit: 07:16:13, 04/03/19 by richardh1905 »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 09:06:38, 04/03/19 »
I'm not advocating any rapid weight loss, particularly just before putting your body under the prolonged stress of a multi day walk!

..and in my original post, I did specifically mention my belly - not much in the way of muscle there, sadly  :D
I have used walking as part of my fitness regime after open heart surgery, monitored carefully by cardiac rehab nurses and regular checkups. I have also lost a party pack and rediscovered a stomach BUT I have had to build leg and glute muscle through the exercises shown me. The gluteus maximus shrank behind me un-noticed as I saw the belly drop away. That muscle has to be rebuilt through hard exercise, belly loss can be obvious, losing from your backside not so much. I have dropped nearly 8 stone now, and I am probably fitter now than I was 30 years ago, certainly have a huge amount more stamina, due to the daily 4 miles fast walk and the half hour of exercise.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:15:54, 04/03/19 »

Fifteen years ago. I began to notice pain in my knees walking down steep hills & it was quite bad after anything more than fifteen mile. I then went on a diet and lost two stone. I can now walk downhill with far fewer aches in my knees, and walk up hill much faster. It was so very noteicable to me.Also going uphill I was able to breathe much easier. I am fit but the loss in weight improved my agility, speed & aches/pains in my legs.I would recommend losing those excess pounds. O0

I dropped from 15 stone to 13 stone. I have tried losing another half a stone but I do love chocolate...I move furniture for a living and with that work, I found everything became easier, especially walking downstairs with heavy items.!
« Last Edit: 09:19:01, 04/03/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:37:01, 04/03/19 »
I have used walking as part of my fitness regime after open heart surgery, monitored carefully by cardiac rehab nurses and regular checkups. I have also lost a party pack and rediscovered a stomach BUT I have had to build leg and glute muscle through the exercises shown me. The gluteus maximus shrank behind me un-noticed as I saw the belly drop away. That muscle has to be rebuilt through hard exercise, belly loss can be obvious, losing from your backside not so much. I have dropped nearly 8 stone now, and I am probably fitter now than I was 30 years ago, certainly have a huge amount more stamina, due to the daily 4 miles fast walk and the half hour of exercise.

That's quite an achievement, jimbob. O0

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:05:53, 04/03/19 »

That's quite an achievement, jimbob. O0
Not really it has taken over five years :-X .I have found that like walking,  it's the mental attitude that is most important. Now I look at pies and no longer believe they were created solely for my personal delight. I tend to leave them in the shops now. However when doing a longer multiday walk I do carry scotch eggs and pork pies as my main calorie source in the belief that I have so few now that they are insignificant to the bigger picture.

Snowman

« Reply #25 on: 01:33:35, 05/03/19 »
I'm with Jimbob when it comes to carrying a pack that's as light as possible.   I was in the Scouts back in the somethingties when shelter meant canvas which weighs a ton.   We therefore as a matter of course used a bivi, and i did spend a few nights in the pouring rain with only a bivi as shelter.   I therefore had no qualms about using one again since you can get one that sleeps 3 (or rather covers them) but weighs half a kilo and I really prefer the lack of constriction anyway.   Minimise the season rating for your sleeping bag and get a down one.   Ultralight groundsheet and a Kindle reader instead of a book and all you'll need is a smaller rucksack.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who will disagree, but the reality is that if you don't feel encumbered when you're walking you enjoy it more.  Well I do anyway.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:10:30, 05/03/19 »
I'm with Jimbob when it comes to carrying a pack that's as light as possible.   I was in the Scouts back in the somethingties when shelter meant canvas which weighs a ton.   We therefore as a matter of course used a bivi, and i did spend a few nights in the pouring rain with only a bivi as shelter.   I therefore had no qualms about using one again since you can get one that sleeps 3 (or rather covers them) but weighs half a kilo and I really prefer the lack of constriction anyway.   Minimise the season rating for your sleeping bag and get a down one.   Ultralight groundsheet and a Kindle reader instead of a book and all you'll need is a smaller rucksack.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who will disagree, but the reality is that if you don't feel encumbered when you're walking you enjoy it more.  Well I do anyway.
When you say bivi do you mean a bivi bag?
People seem to use the term bivi for different things, such as a tarp, or a shelter made from branches
If I was to use any of these I would be miserable in a storm,
I'll stick with my lightweight tent O0

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:52:31, 05/03/19 »
I now alternate between a Bivi and my tent. My Bivi is great for short trips, (usually 1 to 3 nights, max 7) especially when I want to wild camp near to villages, less distance to walk from the pub after dark. I started by taking my 3.5 Alpkit tarp with me as well, but I now just take my umbrella. I've been lucky to date, its rained, but not when I got in to it, or got out of it, just in between. I know that one day my luck is going to run out, that will be a real test!

For longer trips I use my tent, which I will do in April when I attend the Borrowdale meet. I've made my mind up that from 14th April I will go from Borrowdale to Carlyle on the Cumbria Way, along Hadrian's Wall to the Pennine Way and then hike north to Kirk Yetholm. From there I will hike to Edinburgh. About 12 days I think, wouldn't want to Bivi for that long!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:59:23, 05/03/19 »
I've used Bivi bags a lot in the army and while alpine climbing. There ok if you're trying to sleep under a bush or on a narrow ledge half way up a rock face. The main problem with them is all you can do is lay there, you can't cook, get dressed, read a book or even sit up. My bivibag weights 500g, my lightest tent (Tarptent notch) is about 800g. Hardly worth being uncomfortable for such little weight saved.

Stube

« Reply #29 on: 13:00:14, 05/03/19 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy