Author Topic: A few days hking in Mayo and Connemara  (Read 1351 times)

Stephen Mac

A few days hking in Mayo and Connemara
« on: 23:34:13, 10/12/16 »
 ;D Last weekend I took advantage of a good weather forecast and a few days free time and I headed to on of my favout=rite places in these islands. I had three fine outings in bracing but dry weather in some of the wildest and most beautiful scenery to be found anywhere. Once again the full story here. I hope you enjoy
                                                                         Stephen
http://howlingmist.blogspot.ie/2016/12/mweelreasheeffry-hillsthe-twelve.html

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Re: A few days hking in Mayo and Connemara
« Reply #1 on: 13:58:27, 11/12/16 »
I did enjoy your report. Just wish I had been able to post something similar but I reckon you had better weather in December than I had in June. Never even saw the summit of Mweelrea, just thick clag - and incessant rain. As for the Bens, it's all better forgotten than narrated.

But I'll be back.

Stephen Mac

« Reply #2 on: 16:08:38, 11/12/16 »
Thanks. That is the chance we take . Lucky one time..unlucky the next. What happened on the Bens??

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:07:28, 11/12/16 »

What happened on the Bens??

Arrived in Connemara after two days of solid rain. Went for the Glencorbet Horseshoe from turning off R344. The bridge over the river is long gone and the river was in spate. No way i was crossing that. Moved south to next turning into the Bens where there was a prohibition notice threatening prosecution or worse! The N59 was closed west of Clifden due to a landslip, so no access that way. Went to the Sky Road instead. (should have said east of Clifden)
Sunday when i was going to make another attempt or even walk Diamond Hill the weather was atrocious and I stayed in the hotel in Cleggan, but by the time the rain cleared in late afternoon I was too langered to attempt to drive out. Finally walked Diamond Hill at dawn on a wet Monday morning.

Next time though I will invest in a decent guide book. The one I had went in a bin at Dublin Port. Useless!!
« Last Edit: 17:21:03, 11/12/16 by Penygadair »

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:58:10, 11/12/16 »
Great report and photos Stephen Mac. Connemara is a great place for hiking. I've done a couple of the bens myself, Tully and Diamond hill and have fond memories of that region O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy