Author Topic: Once Covid19 is over I want to make a major hiking change.  (Read 1276 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I normally hike national trails or well-known footpaths but I have an urge to do something a bit different. It may be to do with my age but when I can hike again I now have this ambition to walk in Kent and Sussex and visit those relatives that I haven't seen for years, some of which I haven't seen since I was a child. I'm hoping I can just pitch my tent in their gardens, I'm busy seeking out where they live right now. I know some are dead but it will be very interesting to meet their children and grandchildren as well. I assume like most families I would like to find out the answer to some of the extended family rumours that I remember from way back, are they in any way true or just old tales? I'm also very interested to find out how many men and women married 'out' of their way of life and how many, if any, have kept to the 'old ways?' I'm in that frame of mind, so many questions, perhaps so little time to find out? When I do this journey I'm going to try to record it all and leave the information with my son and my nieces, who knows, they at some later time in life might want to do something positive with it or just do nothing?

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Sounds great GWM, and don't forget that what is possibly the best national trail of them all - the North Downs Way - is mostly in Kent!  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Sounds an interesting project GWM.  And there's so much good and varied walking in Sussex and Kent.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Sounds a fascinating idea GWM, you've referred to your background often on here so I think you'll have a very entertaining and enlightening walk! Probably have a few beers too O0 O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Beer in a pub! If only!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Beer in a pub! If only!
Don't!  My walk today was ideal in many respects, gin clear views, sunshine, cooling breeze, good going but at the end no beer and no pub lunch - fair took the gilt off the gingerbread.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Don't!  My walk today was ideal in many respects, gin clear views, sunshine, cooling breeze, good going but at the end no beer and no pub lunch - fair took the gilt off the gingerbread.
Your walk would have been more ideal with an additional comma (placed before the clear views).

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Your walk would have been more ideal with an additional comma (placed before the clear views).
O0
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Sounds great GWM, and don't forget that what is possibly the best national trail of them all - the North Downs Way - is mostly in Kent!  ;)
So is the Pilgrims Way.  Now reenacting Chaucer's Tales would be something to tell your grand children.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

rambling oldie

I'm just a NE Hants based local rambler meself, but seeing the references to the North Downs Way I thought this very old and re-discovered route might be of interest:
https://britishpilgrimage.org/old-way/

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Interesting project GWM. My effort at multi-day walks were only X Wales, but they were off the usual routes. I wish you many interesting miles in trying to achieve destinations that are out of the normal.

I find it sad that walkers find it difficult to discuss terrain over righteous way, but just this sort of project has the ability to test route planning skills. Those skills can be developed, by spotting the breaks in the agricultural/structure, which may lead you off the righteous way. However you will have a powerful weapon in your purpose of journey. Your honest reason of a pilgrimage of a personal/family historical nature is so close to some of the tongue in the cheek porkies I have made up and got away with, I feel quite envious.

Should you feel an interest to discuss some wayward ideas, I will happily oblige.                                                   
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
I'm just a NE Hants based local rambler meself, but seeing the references to the North Downs Way I thought this very old and re-discovered route might be of interest:
https://britishpilgrimage.org/old-way/

Fascinating - thanks!  O0

(I hope it does get waymarked.)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Stube

• Veteran Member
GWM
You may find "walking the South Coast of England" by David Bathurst (2008) of interest - you can pick up copies on Amazon. Or at a pinch you could borrow mine.   

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Thanks Stube, I'll be in touch. I hope you and your family are OK.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy