Author Topic: waterproof - breathable socks  (Read 2075 times)

Steelystan

waterproof - breathable socks
« on: 13:04:00, 12/11/08 »
I saw some of these in an outdoors store the other day.  Does anyone use them?  Are they any good?

SS
178/214.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
Re: waterproof - breathable socks
« Reply #1 on: 20:21:42, 12/11/08 »
If you mean Seal Skinz, yes they are excellent, I recommend them.  They will keep your feet dry and warm and cosy - with one exception:

If you step into anything deeper than the top of the sock - easily done in wild country - water will quickly get inside and fill them up, irrespective of whether you have your trousers tucked into them or if you're wearing gaiters. Once they've got wet inside from something like that, they will not dry out, so your feet stay cold and uncomfortable for the rest of the day, and the socks will stink like rotting cardboard.

They feel just a tiny bit stiff and hard, not quite as comfortable as ordinary woollen socks on the feet, or meraklon inners and wool outers, but it's only a little difference and I still think they're worth having.  They're quite thick but not thick enough for me to wear on their own, so I put a light-to-medium pair of loopstitch wool socks on top of them.

When you wash them they take a long time to dry, but I've found it's quicker if you peg them on the line turned inside out.

Steelystan

« Reply #2 on: 20:59:08, 12/11/08 »
Yep, those are the very ones I saw, about twenty sovs a pair.

I think I'll get some now you've endorsed them. 

SS
178/214.

Molson

« Reply #3 on: 15:07:26, 22/11/08 »
I've just got some of these and I got a the 9-11 size (as I'm usually a 10) however found that these were on the small side and would therefore suggest you get a larger size.

I'd also say that they aren't too warn either and therefore I've been wearing these together with my usual socks ... although I assume everyone has their own preference but think these are excellent!

Steelystan

« Reply #4 on: 15:01:11, 25/11/08 »
Yes, I went for the slightly bigger size, wisely as it turned out, and I agree about them not being that warm.  Haven't had to test their waterproofness yet.

SS
178/214.

freewun

« Reply #5 on: 10:41:48, 28/11/08 »
Hello,
I use "bamboo" inners with these ( they sound the same) and have found the combination to be warmer and the bamboo socks seem to reduce friction.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:03:58, 28/11/08 »
Bamboo socks as inners?  Never heard of them.  Please tell us more.

BTW, after my initial recommendation of Seal Skinz socks, I'm beginning to feel a little guilty towards those who have bought them and found them to be colder.  I personally have only noticed a very slight difference in that respect, from which I must assume my feet are less sensitive to cold than other peoples'.

Athos

« Reply #7 on: 12:56:22, 28/11/08 »
They do not keep your feet dry after they have been washed, I would not recommend them at all

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:59:27, 28/11/08 »
Dunno about the Sealskinz socks, but have noticed that their gloves are not that warm to wear.

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:05:08, 28/11/08 »
They do not keep your feet dry after they have been washed, I would not recommend them at all

I've had no problems in that respect. 

Quoting from the packaging I still have, the care instructions are for a 40 degree machine wash, drip dry, don't dry clean, and don't iron.

The only thing I would question about that is the wash symbol is for a cotton wash and not the one with a bar underneath, for synthetics, which is what these socks largely are.  The main differences are the way they rinse and the length of the spin.  (I used to be a domestic appliance service engineer so I'm familiar with these things).

The waterproof membrane does wear out eventually, which is why I'm on my 2nd pair now.  With just occasional use, it was almost five years before one sock of the first pair started letting water in.   

freewun

« Reply #10 on: 14:33:29, 28/11/08 »
Hello,
My son adhering to tradition gave me 3 pairs of socks for my birthday which he assured me were made from bamboo. They are very comfortable and feel vaguely silky. He apparently also wears bamboo pants or boxers so no doubt I will be to after Christmas unless he has a flash of imagination.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy