Author Topic: Knoydart Walk_report  (Read 10268 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Knoydart Walk_report
« Reply #15 on: 11:45:47, 02/07/08 »
And then there's the hint of envy - you get to be in Knoydart whilst I had to go up the Ben 4 times in ten days!
Life's a [censored] isn't it. I was only thinking this morning as I fought my way on to the tube, my face rammed in to a fellow commuters armpit 'it could be worse I could have to go up Ben Nevis today.' It's more than a hint of envy. ;)

kirbstones

« Reply #16 on: 11:49:04, 02/07/08 »
The Ben 4 times! Poor you.  Not been up there since I was eighteen and didn't really know what I was doing then.

Mid section of the Cuillin?  I've climbed Sgurr nan Gillian 3 times, Am Basteir and Bruich na Frithe once each.  My last attempt at the complete ridge was about seven years ago. We started at the south but one of our party got severely 'gripped up' on Collie's Ledge and no amount of persuasion could make him go on.  I wouldn't have minded except it was thick mist at the time, so the exposure was negligible.  Still better there than on the Inn Pin - we would never have got him up that.

So the mid section for me is Sgurr Mhic Choinnich thru to Sgurr a' Mhadaidh.  I've been on top of Sgurr Dearg but not the Inn Pin - frustrating or what!

Skye meet up is a great idea.  Anyone else up for it?

You can just make out the Cuillin on the skyline, in this shot from Sgurr na Sgine (apologies for the ugly [censored] in the foreground).
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:49:59, 02/07/08 »
Ridge it sounds like you should put in for the UKWF Skye meet ;)
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:09:50, 02/07/08 »
Life's a [censored] isn't it. I was only thinking this morning as I fought my way on to the tube, my face rammed in to a fellow commuters armpit 'it could be worse I could have to go up Ben Nevis today.'

Life's a [censored] isn't it. I was only thinking the other day as I fought my way up the Pony Track on the Ben along with a thousand or two other people, my face being slapped by the backside of of a fellow walker's backside in front of me, no-where to sit down that hadn't been peed on by 3 peaks challengers " it could be worse I could have to get on the tube today and go to work in an office" ;)

I guess it's all down to viewpoint. You have my total respect Ridge, I would curl up and die.

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Skinny Walker

« Reply #19 on: 11:27:38, 03/07/08 »
Kirbstones, I am planning a trip to Knoydart in May next year, do you have info on the route that you did? Thanks O0
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

kirbstones

« Reply #20 on: 11:53:53, 03/07/08 »
Hi Chubby

Sure do.  What would you like to know?  There are links to the Ferry and Barrisdale Bothy on my Blog. As to the rest of it, I sort of made it up as I went along, depending on the weather on each day.  What I would say is that staying at least one night in Barrisdale is a must, it's just so tranquil.  If you base yourself there it does give you the best options.

I climber Ladhar Bheinn from the west which with hindsight was probably not the best idea.  The Coire Dochaill route is much better.

There are two main routes in to Barrisdale, via ferry from Mallaig to Inverie and a walk over Mam Barrisdale, or walk in from Kinloch Hourn.  As I didn't want to be tied to getting back to my car, I took the train to Mallaig and went from there.  It worked very well.

Give me some more details of your plans and I'll happily offer suggestions.

Phil

Skinny Walker

« Reply #21 on: 13:32:51, 03/07/08 »
Thanks for the info.

The plan is to hire one of the cottages in Inverie (it's my birthday so I'm being treated)

So it would be nice to take a 2 dayer over to the bothy by the beach to the south (don't want to give anything away....)

And maybe another 2 dayer eastwards toward the centre?

Could look to do up to 15 miles a day flatish or shorter with the odd ben on the way...

Advice is welcomed.
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

kirbstones

« Reply #22 on: 14:19:43, 03/07/08 »

The plan is to hire one of the cottages in Inverie (it's my birthday so I'm being treated)

You could do a 2 dayer to the Bothy, directly over Mam Barrisdale.  But my choice (weather permitting) would be to go out over Meall Bhuide and Luine Bheinn.  Night at the bothy and return via Ladhar Bheinn up Coire Dochaill.  Take a matress for the bothy.

I didn't go eastward, although That was part of the original plan.  I met a Swedish couple who said the bothy at Sourlies was quite good but you need to watch the tides as the walk in is across the beach and disappears at high tide.

Again, Meall Bhuide and Luine Bheinn could be your outward route which would join up to the Gleann Unndalain path which was really excellent and goes on to Sourlies down the other side of the Bealach.

Barrisdale Bothy has running water, loo and electricity.  Don't know anything about Sourlies.

Phil

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:10:18, 03/07/08 »
Sourlies is pretty basic but sound and (usually) clean. Often gets crowded though.

Getting to it from the Knoydart "Mainland" can as KS says present a problem with the tides, although there is a bridge over the Carnach River (not marked on the map), which lessens the chances of you getting cut off in wet weather! While you're there an ascent of Sgurr na Ciche is obligatory O0

IMHO Barrisdale is best approached from the East along the shore path from Kinlochourn - one of Scotland's classic shoreline walks! Beats the Track through the Mam from Inverie hands down.

Making the link from Glenfinnan- Oban Bothy -Sourlies -Barrisdale-Inverie and gettting the boat back to Mallaig is a superb trip which can be done with the minimum of toilsome transport logistics and plenty of opportunity for taking in some fine peaks!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk

Skinny Walker

« Reply #24 on: 08:53:46, 05/07/08 »
Thanks for the advice guys, as always very helpful. After plotting out a couple of routes I think the first order of the day is to start increasing my fitness, that a lot of up! ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy