Author Topic: Flora  (Read 101167 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Flora
« Reply #15 on: 14:29:31, 09/06/16 »

birds foot trefoil
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:30:12, 09/06/16 »

sweet cicely going to seed

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:30:42, 09/06/16 »

hedgerow cranesbill?

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:37:04, 09/06/16 »

southern marsh (?) orchid

PAG1952

« Reply #19 on: 14:54:29, 09/06/16 »
More great photos, but I think the Birdsfoot-trefoil  looks more like Meadow Vetchling ( but that could just be my lack of knowledge talking).
The sun is always shining.......... it's just that on most days the clouds stop us from seeing it.

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 00:10:12, 12/06/16 »

Does anyone know what this is, the closest I can find seems to be Bath Asparagus or Wild Asparagus - but that's pretty rare, and this was seen in North Yorkshire ??? ???

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:36:08, 12/06/16 »
Picture in't working! :(
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:42:45, 12/06/16 »

Trying again

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 09:06:24, 13/06/16 »
Hi Tracy,

Possibly one of the Star Of Bethlehem varieties. Will show pic to a friend for confirmation.

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:56:31, 13/06/16 »
Inspired by barewirewalkers dandelions, (and as DevonDave said we're probably all getting board with bluebells) I took my camera for a long walk and took a few photos of the different wild flowers that are now appearing in the countryside around my local area.

Thought I would put said dandelion up  ;) . Most impressed with the superb pictures of flora that this humble offering has sparked off. Perhaps the least appreciated aspect of walking and worthy of a topic of it's own. I think that anyone interested in taking photos such as these may well have committed the heinous sin of stepping off the righteous way. I know of a bed of orchids in a wood that can be seen from the RoW but to take a close up the walker would have to stray more than the 5m allowed to avoid an obstruction.
Of course a little trespass such as this is rarely seen by the person who might take offence and so no damage done  ::) .

Should you see a tree and want to get the light behind it, how far might you have wander? It is such little observations as this which show up the inherent common sense within the 2003 Scottish Land Reform Act, when compared to the rigidity of only being allowed access by RoW.

I know there are members, who know of farmers, who are sufficiently civilized to share this aspect of our countyside but when you wonder why there are others who do not, you might, like me, think it is due to the anti-access poison that is being trumpeted abroad by the CLA.

On a happier note, lets not forget the humble fungi.

and safely taken in Scotland  :D
« Last Edit: 10:59:40, 13/06/16 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:37:07, 15/06/16 »

I took this last year, it is part of a field hedge, red Hawthorne. It intrigued me is red Hawthorne an indigenous species
This tree dates from 1858 and is a sport (mutation) of pink hawthorn that was found in Herfordshire and was noted to have flowers of a more vibrant and far deeper shade.

I presume the website I took this quote from meant Herefordshire, but of course it could be Hertfordshire. Spell checker tells me I have spelt the county Hereford is the county town of  wrong and wants me to correct to Hertfordshire, now I am totally confused but it is beautiful flower
BWW

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:03:50, 15/06/16 »
Red may, yes I believe it is native. I grew up in a house called Redmay. We had a huge red hawthorn tree in the back garden. It came down in a storm, narrowing missing everything nearby including the house but lay in front of the door for sometime till my dad could get to cutting it up. It made life interesting for a while as the house only had a back door so we had to clamber over the tree each time we went in and out.

We never got a replacement tree to 'take' in spite of a number ofvattempts.

Nice pictures.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:52:05, 16/06/16 »
Red may, yes I believe it is native.  We had a huge red hawthorn tree in the back garden. It came down in a storm,

Thanks, I think your experience highlights a problem conservationists seem to miss. Your huge hawthorn may only have been 100 -150 years old, where our hawthorn hedges date back 1000's of years. The Romans discovered the Gauls using laid thorn hedges as defensive barriers, a laid or pleached hedge was relaid every 60 or so years so prolonging the life of that hawthorn tree indefinitely. The flowering hawthorn May Blossoms we see today may only be with us for a few more decades.
BWW

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 22:13:41, 18/06/16 »
I've had a brilliant day to day at the RSPB reserver Salthome.  Not only did I get to see loads of birds, inc a few I'd not seen before, I also got to see a few flowers that were completely new to me:

Viper's Bugloss

Dove's Foot Cranesbill

Woody Nightshade (not quite as poisonous as it's deadly namesake)

And Cut-leaved Cranesbill

Cooooool eh? 8) 8) 8) 8)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 21:48:13, 19/06/16 »
I can't see your pics Tracy. ???
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy