Author Topic: High Peak Trail and a few diversions  (Read 2065 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
High Peak Trail and a few diversions
« on: 10:30:09, 17/02/18 »
Morning all,

Some pictures from a walk I did last week along the High Peak Trail - plus a few diversions along the way to Arbor Low, Minninglow and Harboro Rocks. The trail is around 17 miles but those extras and the walk along the canal from Cromford to Matlock Bath bumped it up to just under 24 miles, the furthest I've walked in one day.

It took a day or two for my legs muscles to stop aching but it was worth the additional mileage to visit those ancient sites and to see the views from Harboro Rocks - and for the can of pop and very nice chips I had in Matlock Bath before I got my bus home.  :)

Image may contain: sky, tree, outdoor and nature
On the trail near Parsley Hay. I started at 7am and I think sunrise was around 8am.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, snow, nature and outdoor
Gib Hill barrow, by Arbor Low.

Image may contain: sky, outdoor and nature
The distinctive sight of Minninglow in the distance.

Image may contain: mountain, sky, grass, cloud, outdoor and nature
Minninglow Embankment - a triumph of pre-Victorian engineering.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, ocean, outdoor, nature and water
Looking north from Harboro Rocks.

Image may contain: cloud, sky, mountain, outdoor and nature
Harboro Rocks.

Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, outdoor, nature and water
The railway cuttings held onto winter even when the surrounding fields were snow-free.

Image may contain: train, sky, tree and outdoor
At High Peak Junction, the southern end of the trail.

As always, there are more pictures and a full trip report here:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2018/02/the-high-peak-trail.html

Cheers.  :)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: High Peak Trail and a few diversions
« Reply #1 on: 11:01:57, 17/02/18 »
Plenty of interesting stuff there that I aint seen!  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:12:52, 17/02/18 »
Great photos adalard, I like it lots around that area.  Plenty of interest along the High Peak Trail, more so than on the Monsal or Tissington Trails, IMHO.

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:46:03, 17/02/18 »
Nice photos and a full day, particularly in February.  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:24:18, 17/02/18 »
An enjoyable and interesting TR adalard     :)    I like walks with features such as industrial archeology and prehistoric sites

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:18:37, 18/02/18 »
Thanks, everyone.  O0

There is a lot of history along the trail, ancient and modern. I think I only really scratched the surface of it so I'm looking forward to getting out around there some more and doing more research beforehand. I've heard that the Tissington Trail is less interesting from that point of view so I might save that one for a bike ride in the summer.  :)

It was a long day for February, Ridge, and for me personally but I figured with it being a trail I couldn't really get lost even if I ended up crawling the last mile in the dark.  ;D

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:50:39, 18/02/18 »
You managed a long day for February - I was I could get such an early start on public transport.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:15:06, 18/02/18 »
You managed a long day for February - I was I could get such an early start on public transport.

Yes, I was lucky I could get a lift to the start of the trail near Pomeroy, Lee. I don't think I could have done it otherwise or at least not without adding on another few miles walking from Buxton.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:53:10, 18/02/18 »
Great pics adalard  O0
Ahhh matlock bath and memories of riding my motorbike with my mates for a brew and a bag of chips  ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:14:51, 18/02/18 »
Lovely pics and great blog write up as usual adalard  O0 Interesting place  :) That is a long walk at any time of year!
Hate will never win

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:23:13, 18/02/18 »
Lovely photos. Reminded me of the time I rode a bike from Parsley Hay to High Peak Junction. The brakes were very hot by the time we arrived at the bottom and we keep stopping the way down to stay in control. We had to walk back up the trail to Sheep Pasture top as this was in the days long before the many geared mountain bikes of today.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:32:12, 19/02/18 »
Cheers, April and Beefy.  :)

I was very firmly focused on the chips in Matlock Bath from around the 20 mile mark - it's the main thing that kept me going.  ;D  I want to do a couple of multi-day walks this year, so I've been trying to build up my stamina a bit (though I'm not planning on any of those multi-days being that long individually).

Lovely photos. Reminded me of the time I rode a bike from Parsley Hay to High Peak Junction. The brakes were very hot by the time we arrived at the bottom and we keep stopping the way down to stay in control. We had to walk back up the trail to Sheep Pasture top as this was in the days long before the many geared mountain bikes of today.

Thanks, Lostme1.  :)  That must have been quite a hair-raising ride at the southern end of the trail - Middleton and Sheep Pasture Inclines are really steep. There are signs at the top of them now advising cyclists to dismount, and at the top of Hopton Incline too although that's a less pronounced gradient.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy