Author Topic: Essex Priory Way  (Read 1024 times)

MarkT

Essex Priory Way
« on: 19:41:52, 20/10/18 »
With the weather forecast good this weekend it was an ideal opportunity to set myself a challenge. I have done an LDW of 90 miles over 6 stages but today I was setting myself a challenge of walking 20+ miles in a day. Around 18 has been my furthest to date.

The Essex Priory Way starts near St. Osyth and finishes in Colchester at St. Botolphs Priory. Most of the walk follows the River Colne and is flat but I extended the walk a bit to take in more coastal views around Brightlingsea.

With such brilliant weather I was able to stride along with no worries or cares in the world. I hadn't set myself a time challenge but was surprised and pleased at the final outcome. 

St. Osyth Priory (shame about the scaffolding)

In Brightlingsea at the harbour I found a foot ferry that could have ferried me from the exact start point of my walk to where I was instead of walking for nearly 3 hours but then i wouldn't have hit the 20 mile mark!

St. Botolphs Priory, well the remains of it.

Tbh, not the most scenic of walks as the tide was out throughout the walk so the coastal/river views were mainly of mud! However I thoroughly enjoyed it and am chuffed to beat my personal challenge. I've already found a 25 mile walk in my area for my next challenge  :)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Essex Priory Way
« Reply #1 on: 10:50:08, 21/10/18 »

That looks an interesting route.
I find it's not so much the 20+ mile day as the day after that's the problem!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy