Author Topic: Its in the Guardian!  (Read 1036 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Its in the Guardian!
« Reply #1 on: 10:15:08, 14/07/19 »
We are just trend leaders who are ahead of the popular curve. About 40 years ahead in my case.

On a slightly more serious note, younger people enjoying the countryside without there being 'attractions' for them, ZIP WIRE AND GONDOLA ENTHUSIASTS TAKE NOTE.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:35:24, 14/07/19 »
No longer just an activity for older people with sticks, rambling in the countryside is catching on with a new generation

Speak for youself, I never use sticks and don't dare call me a r**bler!  >:(

Buoyed by fashion houses including Gucci and Louis Vuitton putting walking boots on the catwalk and a proliferation of young models – your Hadids and Jenners – posing in Californian canyons, style blogs declared hiking to be officially hot.

Oh christ, that's all we need. Example merchandise:  Gucci Flashtrek hiking boot, £705  :o

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:00:20, 14/07/19 »
I started walking as a cub and then scout. I ascended the Brecon Beacons as a 12 year old and Snowdon at 14. I am sure many did this much younger than me. There have always been younger walkers. I think the older walkers are more noticeable as the general public doesn’t expect those in their 60’s, 70’s or 80’s to be out on the hills. Hopefully, when I reach those ages I will still be out and about, current injuries permitting.

I am sure that my other sports and fitness activities from younger ages is contributing to my current ailments: rugby, running, weight training, football, volley ball have all left their mark. Walking in the great outdoors provides just as much exercise, refreshes the soul and has less negative impact on the body. It just takes a bit more effort to get out and takes a bit longer.

Dread

« Reply #4 on: 11:00:56, 14/07/19 »
I must admit that this year I've noticed more young people especially women out and about. A lot of photo taking going on presumably for Instagram and other social media. More likely kitted out from Mountain Warehouse than Gucci. They may start off 'doing it for the likes' but it's a good thing in my opinion.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:38:50, 14/07/19 »
"a proliferation of young models – your Hadids and Jenners – posing in Californian canyons"

I'm all for seeing a few young models when I'm out walking  >:D though I'd prefer them to have a bit more meat on their bones, while to be more realistic their grans and great-grans would be more suitable ages for me.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:26:01, 14/07/19 »

Oh christ, that's all we need. Example merchandise:  Gucci Flashtrek hiking boot, £705  :o
I prefer Prada myself.Their boots are an absolute bargain at £847 even if they do look like British army boots from the eighties.They also do a matching day pack for £1220 but I have seen a secondhand one on Ebay for £350.So if anyone comes on this site asking about gear we can steer them in the direction of Prada,Gucci and Versace who do a good line in overtrousers at £900 a pair.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #7 on: 18:40:47, 15/07/19 »
Certainly plenty of young, and a few older, walkers on Cadair Idris yesterday; pretty crowded at the top but on the way up from Llanfihangel I was all on my tod. Lots of familes too, and interstingly lots of "foreign" voices.Dave

Jim Parkin

« Reply #8 on: 21:43:31, 15/07/19 »
Speak for youself, I never use sticks and don't dare call me a r**bler!  >:(

Paul Smith and Rapha cycling gear? 

Or have you seen how expensive Acteryx gets?  They do really stupid stuff at silly prices as well as their proper kit. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy