Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276055 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #840 on: 20:49:27, 11/09/19 »
Actually poles would have probably delayed or prevented the onset of your problem.  Firstly, they take part of the shock and your weight during the descent by transferring the load to your upper body muscles.  Secondly, by placing them firmly downslope, they can be used as part of your braking system so your legs are not constantly tensed in an effort to prevent slips and control speed.  Thirdly they would have aided your balance taking more strain of your legs by allowing you to place your feet in a more controlled fashion while your poles hold you steady as you have three points of contact with the ground rather than one.  It is a technique that takes a while to develop correctly but is well worth it, especially for prolonged descents and will prevent many a slip or fall as well as making any slips you do have easier to recover.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #841 on: 21:04:36, 11/09/19 »
Hmm. I guess I'll have to start taking the poles.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #842 on: 21:11:28, 11/09/19 »
I have some but never use them, they could have helped me move a bit quicker due to added stability but they probably wouldn't have helped that my legs aren't used to supporting my weight downhill for so steep and so long, something in my quads gave up when I stepped down a level and my legs just collapsed and I ended up on my bum. Also went at another point. They'd been pretty numb for quite some time before that and gradually increased in discomfort, started to shake  then gave up. Another walker called it jelly legs. I was surprised they lasted as long as they did, even more suprised they were ready to go again so quick though they felt so weakened it was a mission to keep moving. Luckily we (eventually) arrived at a flattish bit where the spent muscles played only a small part in my locomotion.

First long walk (by my standards!) I did this year, I was in serious discomfort on a steep descent about 2 miles from the end.

I thought something like “the next 2 miles are going to be unpleasant”...but all discomfort vanished as soon as I reached a fairly flat section. Then about a quarter of a mile from end reached another (small) steep descent...and discomfort returned almost instantly, in first few feet of descent.

In general would would much sooner do a steep ascent towards end of a tiring day rather than a descent.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #843 on: 21:27:33, 11/09/19 »
Rob, I was taught a technique for walking downhill that reduces the strain on joints and legs. In this rather than trying to fight gravity, you use it to your advantage. Keeping knees slightly bent and hips loose, you lean forwards and descend looking a bit like a race walker. It does look strange and takes some getting used to, but it definitely helps going downhill and has the benefit of being much faster. I also find it better on loose, unstable ground, as I am putting a lot of force into trying to brake my descent, but moving relatively lightly over the ground. I am sure there are others on here who can explain the technique better than I can and there will certainly be YouTube videos available.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #844 on: 21:36:57, 11/09/19 »
Discovering the Cotswolds this week for the first time. But not the best start to a few days down here with M6 closed both north and southbound. >:(

We did, however, get a nice little 4.8 mile walk from the village of Broadway, up to the 18th century Broadway Tower. Excellent views out to the neighbouring counties.

Finished the day with Steak and Ale pie in the Crown and Trumpet.

Tomorrow Stow-on-the-Wold and Bourton-on-the-Water.  :)

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #845 on: 21:46:42, 11/09/19 »
Hopefully another play on the Tarka Trail tomorrow - failing that maybe Friday.  We have both been suffering lately, me with something like fasciitis (but its in the wrong place) and Mrs N more worryingly, with a persistent back problem, so frustratingly our mileage is well down this year as we have had to reduce distance and frequency.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #846 on: 22:25:27, 11/09/19 »
Hopefully another play on the Tarka Trail tomorrow - failing that maybe Friday.  We have both been suffering lately, me with something like fasciitis (but its in the wrong place) and Mrs N more worryingly, with a persistent back problem, so frustratingly our mileage is well down this year as we have had to reduce distance and frequency.
I feel your pain ninthace. First an Achilles injury and then the return of a long standing back problem have kept me from serious walking for about 14 months. My back is improving, so I am hopeful of getting out and about in the not too distant future.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #847 on: 23:01:45, 11/09/19 »
Thanks Mike.  My frustration with the foot is  I can walk on it for up to 9 miles, mostly without too much pain as I have good boots and a decent heel orthotic.  However, after a sit in the chair afterwards, I can barely put any weight on the foot at all for the rest of the day but it slowly subsides to a dull pain until the next trip.  The pain is under the heel and up the outside edge so it is not classic plantar.  Mrs N is more of a worry.
A spin off is that while we have had to cut back on the walking, we are using the time to explore more local routes such as the Tarka Trail, the Ridge and Valley Way and the Exe Way.
Solvitur Ambulando

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #848 on: 12:58:55, 12/09/19 »
Going up to the north east, will be having a little bimble along the North Yorkshire Coast.

ilona
smiley face not working.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #849 on: 16:17:48, 12/09/19 »
At the halfway point of my Alta Via 1 walk in Italy enjoying a truly amazing time. Views are extraordinary and well worth the climbs.

Four more days to go
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #850 on: 17:01:49, 12/09/19 »
Off to north-east Wales again for a short 2-day backpack after being effectively grounded for nine weeks with classic PF (plantar fasciitis). The podiatrist added a shaped layer of soft shock absorber to the heel-cup of my Superfeet Trailblazer, quite effective at reducing pain to assist recovery. It's almost gone now.

First an Achilles injury and then the return of a long standing back problem have kept me from serious walking for about 14 months.
Yikes, I was climbing the walls after a couple of weeks  :o I hope your situation improves soon.

We have both been suffering lately, me with something like fasciitis (but its in the wrong place) and Mrs N more worryingly, with a persistent back problem

Did you consult a podiatrist for the problem?. I'm always interested in the diagnosis for injuries like these, I'm just wondering if the root cause might be PF with unusual extra pain in other areas.
I know from experience that podiatrists sigh when a PF case comes in, they know that little can be done to hasten recovery beyond simple exercises - it just takes its own sweet time.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #851 on: 17:28:58, 12/09/19 »

Yikes, I was climbing the walls after a couple of weeks  :o I hope your situation improves soon
Thanks.
My back is improving, so I will hopefully get out soon. I first injured it over 25 years ago and it periodically likes to remind me of that fact. I have managed a few shortish walks on the flat, but have been reluctant to go too far from civilisation in case of a back spasm. I really don’t want to be a customer of Mountain Rescue.

Dread

« Reply #852 on: 13:02:01, 13/09/19 »
Currently on a circular walk of the Holme Valley. Never been here before despite only living 20 odd miles away. Absolutely gorgeous views across the reservoir towards Great Hey and Little Hey. The Peak District beyond. Sun on my face, Greggs cheese pastie in my belly, life is good.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #853 on: 21:33:40, 13/09/19 »
Did  a nice 8 mile circular from Henly In Arden..A mile into the walk & realised I had done some of it years before, & it was great to be there again.. Very rural sheep & cattle farms, along with three mile of great canal towpath walking. I reckon some canals can be tedious after a mile or so, but the Stratford canal has plenty of locks to liven things up with lock houses & pubs along the way.

A big plus was saying hello to some really friendly people, walking also. Some were picking black berries on the way and one guy was picking damsons on an industrial scale with step ladders and huge buckets...not sure if they were his trees, or if he was off one of the many narrow boats moored up, as the trees were leaning over a fence onto the towpath side... ;) . A few narrow boats which looked like holiday hires, were travelling up and down too. Always good for a few pics....
I love quiet walks in Wales & not bumping into a soul too, but today I really enjoyed the chats with the locals & other walkers...

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #854 on: 20:41:39, 17/09/19 »
I went a walk from Arundel via the tiny village of South Stoke today, taking in a stretch of the river Arun and then Swanbourne Lake and a beautiful valley in the South Downs.  A scenic and varied walk, with pastoral riverside meadows, enfolding hills, and hanger woodlands with masses of ferns. The countryside around Arundel is one of my favourite areas for walking.  Warm and sunny   :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy